Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,437 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder about any drug you, your spouse, your child or your parents take (or have ever taken)?

Simply, google the word lawsuit next to the name of the medication you take.

Yes, some pharmaceuticals are still being sold when lawsuits have been settled against them.

Next, type in either side effects or the word interactions next to the name of your medication.

__________________________________________________ _______

Your doctor is only prescribing what the numerous pharmaceutical reps hammer him to prescribe. He isn't researching every pharmaceutical before prescribing it to patients. He doesn't have time. YOU MUST LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post

Ever wonder about any drug you, your spouse, your child or your parents take (or have ever taken)?

Simply, google the word lawsuit next to the name of the medication you take.

Yes, some pharmaceuticals are still being sold when lawsuits have been settled against them.

Next, type in either side effects or the word interactions next to the name of your medication.

__________________________________________________ _______

Your doctor is only prescribing what the numerous pharmaceutical reps hammer him to prescribe. He isn't researching every pharmaceutical before prescribing it to patients. He doesn't have time. YOU MUST LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF.
What you neglect to mention is many, if not most of the lawsuits are initiated by "trolling for clients" tort attorneys that run those class action lawsuit commercials on TV, on the radio and in print. The lawyers are getting rich off of it, its sending insurance rates through the roof and its all on the back of the consumers who pay higher prices for everything because of it. As for side effects and interactions.... Google aspirin's side effects and see what is listed there. Would you have aspirin taken off the market? Its only been around and used since before the time of the Egyptian Pharaohs

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
It was one of those "trolling for clients" tort attorneys commercials on TV that saved my life.. I had been having a lot of problems and was watching my life as I knew it slipping right out from under me and didn't know why... when he gave the list of symptoms that day on TV for a drug I was on and went down the list of side effects, word for word it was was exactly what was happening to me.... my jaw DROPPED to the floor.

Just seeing that commercial turned my life around and that was the day I started getting my life back. I only wish I had written down his name and phone number so I could call and thank him for giving me my life back!

(It's a well know drug, pushed like candy by the doctors who are clueless as to the bad side effects some people have on them that are STILL not listed on the inserts.)

Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
any pharmacologically active drug has side effects. these range from trivial, to very serious, including fatal. one cannot examine the side effects in isolation, without also looking at the benefits. equally, the side effects are meaningless unless one also considers their incidence. the totality of the profile of a drug is what needs to be considered, i.e. the "benefit/risk profile". for example, cancer drugs may cause a certain frequency of bone marrow failure, which might be acceptable in cancer treatment, because the drug has the potential to extend life for a few years, but certainly would not be acceptable for a drug to treat a more minor condition, say toothache.

yes, it is the physician's responsibility to prescribe responsibly, and take reasonable measures to monitor for side effects, but equally it is the patient's responsibility to know what they are taking, why they are taking it, and what the potential complications are - that is why all drugs come with approved labeling, written in language understandable someone with the reading level of a 5th grader.

in cases where the patient is not competent to that this responsibility, they should have a carer who is.

so, to the one valid point the OP made - yes, indeed, you should look out for yourself - as an adult, you should take responsibility for all areas of your own life, including your health, and your healthcare.

divestment of personal accountability is the scourge of our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness