Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,470,333 times

Advertisements

Have you heard the ad for Cedarcide? It's suppose to kill them and it comes in a travel size that you can take on a plane. Course, if I saw them in a room I would want another room.

cedarcide-best yet « Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,071,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I believe that but I also know the little buggers can hide in cracks in walls and behind the headboard and inside the electrical outlets. How do they deal with that?
The secret is to attack them at night when they come out to "feed" (ewww), because, as you say, they hide very well. You have to do more than one treatment to get rid of them. The thing to do is as soon as you know about the problem the room should be taken off line and treated immediately by people who know what they are doing. When I was at the resort, we had to take down the head boards because they were hiding there. We also had to take the material off the under-neath the box spring so that we could get up under it and spray.

It is a big problem and hard to get rid of. Especially now that there are reports of infestations in movie theaters and clothing stores.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,074 times
Smile bed bugs

Having bed bugs is a common issue at many places. These are the insects with no wings and are red in color.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 PM

205 posts, read 602,056 times
Something that puzzles me is that are these critters so quick & smart to move around and hide that you usually won't find them if they traveled with your luggage, clothes, etc. until you get bitten at night?

Because if they were lentil sized, and red/brown in color, you should be able to see them some of the time from packing/unpacking luggage, clothes, etc.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,439,512 times
Bed bugs are very hard to get rid of. Sticking clothes in a drier isn't going to do it. Sleeping on the floor just means the bug have to walk a little further at night to suck your blood. It is common if you have then in one room you will have them in other soon if you already don't. The way to really kill an infestation is one of these businesses that superheat your whole house.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
The focus shouldn't be avoiding bedbug bites while staying at a hotel. The focus should be on not bringing them home with you. I operate on the assumption that everywhere I stay has bedbugs. I won't wait until I'm bit or I see them to use the precautions.

I methodically unpack and go through my killing spree even if I don't see bedbugs. It's wise to use duffle bags that can be washed instead of hard luggage. You have to take care of everything, including your shoes. Nothing should be brought into the house until you are ready to deal with it. Carry items in and go straight to the washing machine or freezer. Only bring things into the house one at a time.

I seal everything in plastic bags and leave it in my trunk for a week before I start unpacking. I don't park my car in the garage. I leave it out in the sun so the buggers can bake in the plastic bags in the trunk. A week later, I carry each sealed plastic bag straight to washing machine so no little critters can fall on the floor as I carry stuff in. It requires planning. This means having a roll of plastic bags in your trunk so you can seal everything into plastic bags before you put it into your trunk when you are leaving the hotel or when you arrive back to the parking lot from the airport.

I've been doing a lot of traveling over the past two years, traveling sometimes twice a month. I've stayed in many, many different hotels. I must be doing something right because my house has not been infested yet!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I.ve heard that diotemashious earth can get rid of bedbugs, just like it does the fleas on my dogs...
the problem with that, it is pretty hard to carry it with you and unless I have read the OP incorrectly, she is asking about getting rid of them when you see them in your hotel room, not in your home. They have gotten a lot of publicity lately, but they have always been a concern and the quality or cleanliness of the hotel has nothing to do with bed bugs I will add.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They have gotten a lot of publicity lately, but they have always been a concern...
They haven't always been a concern. In other countries they were always a concern; however, they were virtually eradicated in the United States until DDT became illegal. Hotels used to use DDT to control cockroaches. It had the added benefit of killing bedbugs too. Sadly, it's no longer legal in the United States because it causes cancer and almost made Bald Eagles extinct. Now bedbugs are back in the United States, but Bald Eagles are reviving in record numbers so I guess it's a good thing.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 18,652,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They haven't always been a concern. In other countries they were always a concern; however, they were virtually eradicated in the United States until DDT became illegal. Hotels used to use DDT to control cockroaches. It had the added benefit of killing bedbugs too. Sadly, it's no longer legal in the United States because it causes cancer and almost made Bald Eagles extinct. Now bedbugs are back in the United States, but Bald Eagles are reviving in record numbers so I guess it's a good thing.
of course its a good thing getting rid of DDT... more should be done with this type of pesticide still being used....think about it if it kills a living insect what is it doing to us....

Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
of course its a good thing getting rid of DDT... more should be done with this type of pesticide still being used....think about it if it kills a living insect what is it doing to us....
Since 2001, only China, North Korea, and India still use DDT. DDT has not been used in the Unite States since 1972.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness