Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,670 times

Advertisements

Wow, Well you are not alone with your issue.... I am having the same exact issue with my most recent surgical wounds healing at a more than slower past. I ruptured both of my Achilles tendons within a 9 month period, and the wound from the first surgery took about 6 months to heal. Now I also have low blood pressure and my current wound has been open for almost 2 months now and although this seems like the normal routine I have concerns of possible infection or even worst.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,490,488 times
Well, despite the nay-sayers, if you were to get an Ionic Silver generator you'd have the best chance of wound healing with minimal scarring. Study the book "The Body Electric" by twice Nobel nominated orthopaedic surgeon Dr Robert O Becker and you'll understand why.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,959,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAREED1 View Post
Wow, Well you are not alone with your issue.... I am having the same exact issue with my most recent surgical wounds healing at a more than slower past. I ruptured both of my Achilles tendons within a 9 month period, and the wound from the first surgery took about 6 months to heal. Now I also have low blood pressure and my current wound has been open for almost 2 months now and although this seems like the normal routine I have concerns of possible infection or even worst.
Yes, I continue with this issue and all signs appear I will continue to do so for some time. The only thing that has been loosely ascribed to the cause if my low blood pressure since everything else seems to have been ruled out. I guess I will simply have to understand this is how my body deals with wounds.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I wonder if I am just "different" as I have not yet been able to find any specific reason this occurs. The only other thing "different" about me, as I stated before is my extremely low blood pressue (80/40). I do worry about this as I age because apparently your ability to heal as you age is also compromised.
I am the same and wonder if you have found anything since you first posted this question?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
Quote:
Pretty good overall. Have occasionally had some anemia issues but it's not a constant thing. Low normal TSH is about the only other thing, but the doctor said the thyroid wasn't low enough to warrant medication.

Yes, anemia will make wounds heal very slowly. I have anemia(treated now) and I used to get bruises for no reason at all...........they would take months to heal...same thing with small nicks and cuts.

I got diagnosed by a very sharp doctor when my RBC's were at the very bottom of the NORMAL scale.......not even clinically anemic.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,552 times
The information below will provide you with some more in depth information on a variety of studies compiled by the National institute of Health on what affects healing and biologically why and how it is affected. In short there are two general areas that can be affected: the overall bodily functions which affects everything or the site of injury itself, localized. Here's a list of things that can be affected and further details will be seen at the site:
Localization: oxygenation, infection, foreign body, venous sufficiency.
Systemic factors (overall body): Age and gender
Sex hormones, Stress, Ischemia, Diseases (such as diabetes, keloids, fibrosis, hereditary healing disorders, jaundice, uremia), Obesity, Medications (such as glucocorticoid steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, chemotherapy), Alcoholism and smoking, Immunocompromised conditions (such as cancer, radiation therapy, AIDS), or Nutrition

[url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903966/]Factors Affecting Wound Healing[/url]

Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,332 times
Quote:
I have a very bad problem with slow wound healing. As a result, I have been tested multiple times for diabetes, all to show blood sugars are even better than normal. If I get one scratch, it seems to linger for months. I have had several surgeries and have doctors scratching their heads as to why my wounds will not close up and heal properly. Usually takes anywhere between 6 months to a year to finally get the wounds to close up. I have to endure very painful procedures to debride the wounds to help get the wound to close. Also, I end up getting very ugly scars.

Anyone have an idea why this would occur? I am anxious to find an answer to this problem as it plagues me.
I have had the problem ever since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It takes a long time for any sores to heal on my legs and arms. Even mosquito bites that I scratched. (Those things drive me nuts and I can't not scratch)

Maybe that could be your problem. Doctors don't regularly screen for it so you may have to ask. It's just a blood test. They CLAIM that it's a woman's disease but plenty of men get it too, so don't let them buffalo you by using that ploy. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,257 times
Hello!! I see that this was posted a few years ago and I'm sure you don't look at this anymore but I have the same problem! And it's beyond frustrating. I'm 27 yrs old and have been dealing with poor and slow wound healing my entire life. I've seen a dermatologist for more than half of my life. When I bring up my concerns about poor healing, my doctor responds that this is just my "perception." Which is very upsetting to hear when I've felt with this my whole life. I too have been tested for diabetes. I haven't had any surgeries so I can't say I have poor surgical wound healing. But I'm covered in scars from simple cuts or even insect bites. I even dream about being able to get a tattoo, but too afraid to try and have it be scared and ugly. My dermatologist told me I could try taking a Zinc supplement, which I've been doing for months and have seen no improvement. If you do read this, I'd be so curious to hear if you've heard anything new reguarding why some of us heal so poorly.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:54 PM

326 posts, read 180,131 times
Possible causes include: Infection, Poor Circulation and oxygenation, aging, very severe burns

Old 06-11-2016, 04:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
Not enough protein is often the case. New tissue needs protein to form. Count your protein grams, kick them up to at least 90 grams a day for wound healing. And drink lots of fluids when increasing protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness