Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 112,856 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine broke her ankle a few days back and got her first cast. She is 29 and has never had a broken bone before and basically she been asking around to all of us for advice and hearing our broken bone stories.

I have had three broken bones in my life.

The first was when I was 6, I fell from a bunk bed and broke my arm. I remember having a Snoppy sling for a couple of weeks and I had the cast for 6 weeks.

When I was 12, I broke my leg in tumble on the stairs at my grandmother's house. It happend a week after I finished the 6th grade and I spent the summer in a full leg cast. It sucked because I couldn't go out much. I felt the like Bart Simpson did in one of The Simpsons and I felt the kid in that recent popcorn commercial.

When I was 16, I broke my thumb playing softball and I had a cast on my hand and thumb for about 5 weeks and then I got splint.

Share your broke bone(s) stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,286,477 times
I fell at work and broke my left patella (kneecap) into three pieces. It was a wet floor with no wet floor signs around and the floor was one of those floors you see in hospitals that always look wet. This floor was not shiny due to the wax but it had just been mopped. Unbeknowst to me I went onto the floor from a nurse's station and when I tried to take a step my foot went out from under me and I landed on my left knee.

I didn't get a cast but a velco brace that was similiar to a cast. Can't remember how long I wore it but the PT was a grueling experience. My hamstrings and quads had frozen from being in a mobile postion for so long and the therapist had to literally message them out of their frozen state. I use to put my head in a pillow and scream/cry. Thank God that's over with. I wish I would have been advised to message my hams and quads during the time I was to be imobile. I dont' think it would have been as traumatic to me or the muscles.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,338,464 times
My first broken bone was before kindergarten, I was bored and I had a twin bed next to my parents bed at this time, afraid to sleep on my own. I was climbing from my bed, onto the dresser, onto the chest of drawers and jumping off of it, onto my twin bed. I landed wrong and broke my right arm.

Then later when I was in second grade I broke my left arm when I slipped down on the ice. I had ski boots on, headed to the mountain to ski. I missed the season that year.

Then in my 20s, I was in a car accident, I rolled the car. My left hand slipped off the steering wheel and went through the clear plastic of the dash, breaking my thumb, I also crushed three verte brae and separated my sternum from three ribs in the accident.

I have been lucky I think and never broken anything that kept me from walking. I think that would be annoying. Although having my ribs separated from my sternum hurt like I can't tell you, literally every breath I took for 6 to 8 weeks hurt terribly.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,295,043 times
Default Have you ever had a cast?

Had one for a broken leg, broke both bones in the lower leg from a motorcycle accident, it happened in a remote canyon couldn't get my cell to connect, took hours to get help, not much fun.

Another motorcycle accident, cat ran a stop sign and T-boned me, it left me with a broken ankle and a spiderweb break of every bone in my foot, couldn't have a cast because of the tissue damage to the foot. there was a lot of laying in bed with that one

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,496,546 times
Approaching the big 6..0 no breaks yet !!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,222,558 times
I broke 3 of my wrist bones ice skating at Love Field. Wait! I broke 3 of my wrist bones attempting to ice skate at Love Field when I was 23.

It was to be my last trip around the rink and I fell right in the middle of it. What was really disgusting were the swarms of little kids who skated like it was going out of style. LOL. I had to pull myself to the edge of the rink before my date could get to me. What a mess.

Then to make matters worse, I was wearing a short sleeve pull-over sweater with a long sleeve crepe blouse on under it. I had ironed only the collar and sleeves on the blouse. So, when the nurse took my blouse out to the three people I was with I heard a huge amount of laughter from the waiting room. I wore a cast for nearly 6 weeks.

I should have listened to my mother but don't tell her I said so.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,496,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I broke 3 of my wrist bones ice skating at Love Field. Wait! I broke 3 of my wrist bones attempting to ice skate at Love Field when I was 23.

It was to be my last trip around the rink and I fell right in the middle of it. What was really disgusting were the swarms of little kids who skated like it was going out of style. LOL. I had to pull myself to the edge of the rink before my date could get to me. What a mess.

Then to make matters worse, I was wearing a short sleeve pull-over sweater with a long sleeve crepe blouse on under it. I had ironed only the collar and sleeves on the blouse. So, when the nurse took my blouse out to the three people I was with I heard a huge amount of laughter from the waiting room. I wore a cast for nearly 6 weeks.

I should have listened to my mother but don't tell her I said so.
I thought Love field was for flying?? Well that was a shattering experience for a 23 year old! Kidding. Roller skating can bang you up I can see ice skating being rough! Mom was right huh?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,591,176 times
I am blessed to, so far, have had no broken bones.

However, I am sadly responsible for my sister's first broken arm (she had three, all in the same spot, as a kid). I was pushing her on the swing in our backyard and going a bit too high. I can't remember if I was doing that on purpose or not. I may have been. One of the legs came out of the ground and she got scared and jumped off. She landed wrong and snapped her arm in half. Ouch!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,222,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I thought Love field was for flying?? Well that was a shattering experience for a 23 year old! Kidding. Roller skating can bang you up I can see ice skating being rough! Mom was right huh?
LOL. To make it worse we were double dating and after I got the bones set at Baylor Hospital we headed back to Ft. Worth with the prescription for pain meds for me. By this time it was about 2 am. We stopped at a drug store and Jack went in to have the scrip filled. Trouble was that the store was not open and he broke his nose walking into the sliding glass door that was locked. He bounced off that door like a scene out of a Laurel and Hardy film. We all started laughing in the car until we saw all the blood.

That was our first and last date. ahahahaha. But, 40 years later we are still friends.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,969,487 times
I should have had a cast when I broke my foot. However it would have been pretty hard to drive a heating oil truck. Could not aford to be out of work so I just toughed it out. What would have healed in a few weeks with a cast took several months without the cast. When I broke my arm just below the shoulder, the doctor just had me use a sling for 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness