Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I keep it simple. I have no desire to rebuild coils and make my own wicks. I have two setups: One is an eGo battery with a tank atomizer and a 3 mil tank, which I generally use at home. My other is an eRoll, which is what I use when I'm out and about, mainly because I prefer something that is a lot more like an analog in size and shape at those times.

My main vape is Halo menthol ice, occasional switching to cola or cherry flavors from Velvet Vapors.
Well I didn't keep it simple. I ended up with a mechanical mod, a Sigelei 24, and a rebuildable atomizer, an AGA-T2. I'm now making wicks and coils and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm in the sub-ohm club too, vaping at .8 ohms and loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I was a heavy smoker for 37 years and despite countless quits, could never stay quit for long. It's an awful addiction.

In March 2012, I tried e-cigs just for harm reduction. By April, I'd really lost interest in smoking. That was really strange! But vaping was just so much more tasty and satisfying, once I found good gear and tasty juice. Yes, I am still addicted to nicotine (although I've cut my nic levels in the juice I buy from 32 mg to 18 mg.) I don't cough or have chest tightness and I don't smell like a smoker any more. Didn't gain and ounce, completely stress-free method of quitting smoking, for me. And much cheaper than my smoking habit, which was costing me an embarrassingly high amount of money every month!

I have an array of KGO/eGo batteries in various styles and pretty designs. Currently liking the CE4 tanks. I've been tempted by some of the fancy mods, but really am pretty happy with my current set-up. Buy most of my juice from Backwoods Brew or Ahlusion (which happens to have a brick and mortar store/cafe close to my house.) I usually take three or four batts to work with me because I like to rotate flavors.

I really think it's a worthwhile way to try quitting if other methods, and willpower, have failed repeatedly. If you want to quit nicotine completely, taper down on the nic levels until you're vaping zero nicotine. I've gotten several friends to switch from smoking to vaping. One, the husband of a good friend, has had several heart attacks. He switched to vaping with the complete approval of his cardiologist.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I am two months into my e cig and am happy I decided to try it!

I haven't gained weight either to my surprise. I had no willpower to quit. I really enjoyed smoking. I will find out next month if the cardiologist gives his blessing.

Congrats on quitting

Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I am two months into my e cig and am happy I decided to try it!

I haven't gained weight either to my surprise. I had no willpower to quit. I really enjoyed smoking. I will find out next month if the cardiologist gives his blessing.

Congrats on quitting
I hope you post back with your cardiologist's thoughts!
And congrats to you too!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I keep it simple too! I quit buying cigarettes because we just couldn't afford it. Wish the other half would figure this out. Seems like I'm the one making changes (always) to balance our checkbook, and he keeps puffing away on cigarettes and 2 different inhalers as well. Medicare keeps the cost of those inhalers low until he hits the "donut hole" of this coverage.

I use eGo batteries and Boge cartomizers. Just last month I found a new supplier that stocks everything I need to vape while previously I'd had to order from 2 different suppliers to get my wares! This new supplier offers unflavored NIC juice and that is what I bought this last time. A 250ml bottle at 24mg costs under $14 to which I add a 30ml bottle of flavoring which costs about $8. With shipping I'm spending about $28 to buy the juice, and I use about 25-30ml per week. So you can see that actually I'm spending about $15 on juice per month now! If you don't DIY, you really should look into it. My freedom smokes dot com is close to my house so shipping takes 1 day usually! Hard to beat that! This amount of juice would have cost me over $80 at my old juice supplier!

I have tried a few different cartomizers including CE4 and I have trouble every time. I currently have 2 CE4's that I bought for a road trip but on my testing, again I'm having trouble with them. These are well liked by lots of people, so it must be something I'm doing wrong though I can't see what that would be. Every once in a while there is a dud in the BOGE's I buy but most of them work the way they are supposed to! The BOGE LR's give me the draw I like and I've started soaking them in vodka to clean them out and reuse them.

I don't experiment a lot because of the money situation but maybe now I'll be able to try a few different Carts since I've cut my cost down to near zero.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 AM

I started out with the Boges but once I got used to the clearomizers and tanks, I find I can taste the cottony filler in the Boges...haven't used them in months.

Seems that no matter what, there's always one or two duds out of ten. Either too tight a draw or they start leaking pretty quickly. I make orders about once a month to six weeks and get 5-10 at a time. I have an impressive stockpile right now - about 8 or ten batteries, each a different color or design and at least 20 clearos, plus three chargers, plus some cute drip tips and atomizers...

Even without doing any DIY or being particularly thrifty about my vaping, (I'm happy thus far to pay extra for the more premium juice, nothing from China!) it's averaging about $80 per month for juice and everything. My smoking habit was costing me, OMG, about $10 PER DAY. And that's just the financial cost...

Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
The vaping thing turns into a hobby for some of us. We end up with several mods, mechanical and regulated, several atomizers, a large collection of juices, many of them home made, and a large assortment of other things that go with our vaping gear, stainless steel mesh, batteries, spools of kanthal wire, ohms meters, volt meters, etc, etc....

Others just want a stick battery and a 3ml clearomizer, and they are good. Either way if you keep away from the cigarettes it's all good. I've not had one since I started vaping back on July 2nd, and just the thought of smoking one of those stinky sticks again is revolting to me now. I threw out our ashtrays. Between the two of us we were spending about $500 a month on cigarettes. I'm not sure how much we spend on vaping, but it's a LOT less, and we are much healthier. I breathe better and have more energy now, and I can smell things again.

With that came the reminder there are things in the world you'd really much rather not smell.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I hope you post back with your cardiologist's thoughts!
And congrats to you too!
Thank you so much!! I will be certain to post his thoughts. I go on Columbus Day.

I started a thread in Daily Journals. People there have been so incredibly supportive as has my family. I've had a bad couple of weeks and really wanted to buy some real ones but haven't.

It's been tough but I need to stay focused. Can't go back now.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 PM

102 posts, read 168,694 times
I just now stumbled onto this thread.
Hi! I am a vaper too.

Annie, when you take a puff, let some of it escape, then inhale/exhale. That might help.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, just jumped from front to back, but will go back to page 1 and read up. In the meantime, I will post this link about the Drexel published study that clearly states that ECigs are quite alright.

http://publichealth.drexel.edu/SiteD...0e603/ms08.pdf

Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
One, the husband of a good friend, has had several heart attacks. He switched to vaping with the complete approval of his cardiologist.
I started vaping about 4 or so years ago. Two years ago I had a heart attack, and while in the hospital, I vaped up a storm. Both cardiologists who saw me (it was a holiday weekend, so one was the fill-in) said vaping was OK.

Before vaping, I tried my best to suck down 3 packs a day.

I use eGo 1000 mAh batteries and regular Joye 510 atomizers. I get my juice (chocolate/coffee) from Tasty Vapor. I like what I use, equipment-wise, and see no need to experiment with big mods and goofy bongs. There's way too much stuff out there, and it makes it confusing for a newby. I can see why folks would get frustrated and not give vaping a fair try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness