Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well good. I had asked on another thread about smoking what anyone thought of electronic cigarettes and the last time I checked, no one had answered. I will be glued to this thread.
Congratulations OP!!!!

I have been an ecig smoker for a year now. I have posted numerous times in this forum about it too. I have included a link to the forum I found over 2 years ago over and over, but you never found it! Hard to believe, but here you are again, New Members Forum.

Do your research for awhile in that category. Many first timers start with a Joye 510 but the batteries don't last very long, about 2 hrs for a heavy smoker. I am now using a Joye Ego and when new these batteries provide a heavy smoker about 6-12 hours of power. I have about 8 batteries laying around and I use all of them. As with any battery life will shorten over time; my older batteries probably only last a few hours now. That is why I have 8 here. Every few months I purchase 2 more. So far this year I have spent about $400 on liquid. Some spend that on cigarettes in a month's time and I have spent about $200 on other supplies this year.

Dont smoke an e-cig where smoking is not allowed. Laws are being revised to include anything that appears to be smoking and that will include e-cigs. However, I can sneak a few tokes in the bathroom anywhere. I even smoked in the open in the hospital this summer. It can't be smelled, it can be seen but quickly dissipates and the longer you hold your breath the less smoke that comes out of your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Metra rail in Chicago recently clarified that electronic cigarettes are not allowed on its trains.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Metra rail in Chicago recently clarified that electronic cigarettes are not allowed on its trains.
I remember when you used to be able to smoke in the last car of the trains but by the time they instituted non-smoking I was only on the train from Union Station to Berwyn, about 20 minutes. Even when I smoked cigarettes I could wait that long. We will see more of these clarifications as time passes. The thing is that it is hard to differentiate that there is a difference when you see smoke and that is why this is happening. Even so for someone that can't wait a quick trip between cars and a few tokes no one is the wiser.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
rayneinspain,

Your post makes it clear that you understand little about addiction. Smoking is an addiction. The drug of course is nicotine but the mechanics of going through the motion of smoking is a very addictive habit in itself. If one truly wishes to end the smoking habit then not only must they stop ingesting nicotine but also stop the habit of lighting up and the act of puffing a device and watching the smoke. This ritual is mentally as addictive as the chemical addiction of smoking.
Who said anything about wanting to stop a) nicotine or b) the mechanics/ritual of smoking? Some of us have no intention to do so. The nicotine wasn't making my breathing worse, the smoke was.

Quote:
Using a device or medication to help break the nicotine habit is fine, but if you are on nicotine patches for five years then you have not beaten the habit. This goes for electronic cigarettes too. If my manage to break the nicotine habit but still lean on other devices then sooner or later you will go back to your old habit of smoking cigarettes.

The single most important thing you can do for your health is to stop smoking.
Again, you're just not getting it. I have as much desire to break my addiction to caffeine as I do my addiction to nicotine. Not gonna happen. And as far as going back to smoking cigarettes? Not on your life. I live with a chain smoker, and I haven't had an urge to light one up since July 9, 2010. The smell makes me sick.

Quote:
BTW, I am an ex-smoker. Been there, done that.
So am I.

I'm happy for you that you quit. Some of us enjoy nicotine and wish to partake in a safer manner. I believe about 1/3 of ecig users reduce and/or eliminate the nicotine in their ecig liquid within the first 6-12 months of use, on their own terms. And that, I think, is at the heart of our disagreement: your assumption is that a 'nonsmoker' ingests zero nicotine. Nicotine does not equal smoking. You chose to stop altogether. That's fantastic and commendable. But not everyone has to follow your criteria.

"Quit (nicotine) or Die"--meaning cold turkey/no nicotine vs. tobacco cigarettes--is an appalling and ineffective choice.

Please...educate yourself on the subject. The following links are but a tip of the iceberg:

The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: Electronic Cigarettes Show Promise as a Smoking Cessation Tool: New Study Finds E-Cigarettes May Be More Effective Than NRT for Quitting Smoking

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-...ticle.jphp.pdf

Last edited by rayneinspain; 10-10-2011 at 09:55 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 05:40 AM

19,705 posts, read 20,232,643 times
What is the difference between e-cigs vs. cigarettes money-wise?

I've quit smoking altogether, but see alot more people getting into these e-cigs...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

I've quit smoking altogether, but see alot more people getting into these e-cigs...
Depends on how much is smoked and the price being paid at retail as well as where e-cig supplies are bought.

I buy e-cig liquid for $8 per 30ml bottle. I found a place that sells it for $30 per 180ml bottle but you can easily double this price depending on the vendors used.

Consider too that it's not just about the price between cigs and e-cigs; it's your healthy price too. Most that switch to e-cig spend less on doctor visits, less on prescription medicines, etc. Many save thousands per year.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

Costs per ecig model vary drastically, from less than $30 to well over $100. Then there are replaceable items, such as atomizers or cartomizers, batteries (although in over a year I've only just recently had one of my first ones die out), and juice.

My costs as a smoker were approximately $300/month (2 pk/day at $4.50/pk+tax) in July 2010.

Once I settled on some all-day flavors I liked (after spending a few hundred over the course of the first few months of vaping, trying everything I could), my monthly expenses average $30/month (5-pack of cartomizers for $10, one 30-ml bottle of peppermint liquid for $16+shipping).

Medical savings: Gone are my frequent visits to the doctor for recurrent bronchitis, my inhaler only gets used when the pollen count is high (rather than 4x/day, every day), on average one puff every 3 months or so. I'm not popping cough meds every day in a fight to stop coughing (the violent coughing stopped during my first month).

EDIT: Another information link to add to my above post:

http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA_NRT_Testimony.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by rayneinspain; 10-11-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post

Consider too that it's not just about the price between cigs and e-cigs; it's your healthy price too. Most that switch to e-cig spend less on doctor visits, less on prescription medicines, etc. Many save thousands per year.
When I used to smoke cigarettes I never actually had to go to the doctor nor did/do I take prescription medication.

Though I can see how smoking can affect your future health.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM

188 posts, read 974,691 times
Congrats to all of you who have quit smoking!! Hubby and I have a RX for the patch and will be trying that starting Monday. We tried the Chantix and we both stayed sick and had to stop taking that, so hoping the patches do the trick. Our insurance company has stated that started Jan 1 2012 if you smoke you pay higher premiums ( however, they will not pay anything on RX to quit smoking)....my question is..if the patches do not work and we do the E cigs is that still considered smoking?? I know that we will have to do some kind of test for nicotine , will the E cigs show up as nicotine on blood work? Hubby and I have smoked for over 20 years, so I know it's not gonna be easy but if we slip can we smoke the E cig while wearing the patches?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question...but want to get our facts straight!! I am actually kinda excited about quitting and have already started figuring out what to do with the money we save..LOL!! (Hubby on the other hand is not that excited.)
Thanks for your input!!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Costs per ecig model vary drastically, from less than $30 to well over $100. Then there are replaceable items, such as atomizers or cartomizers, batteries (although in over a year I've only just recently had one of my first ones die out), and juice.

My costs as a smoker were approximately $300/month (2 pk/day at $4.50/pk+tax) in July 2010.

Once I settled on some all-day flavors I liked (after spending a few hundred over the course of the first few months of vaping, trying everything I could), my monthly expenses average $30/month (5-pack of cartomizers for $10, one 30-ml bottle of peppermint liquid for $16+shipping).

Medical savings: Gone are my frequent visits to the doctor for recurrent bronchitis, my inhaler only gets used when the pollen count is high (rather than 4x/day, every day), on average one puff every 3 months or so. I'm not popping cough meds every day in a fight to stop coughing (the violent coughing stopped during my first month).

EDIT: Another information link to add to my above post:

http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA_NRT_Testimony.pdf (broken link)
Hey thanks for working out the math and painting a picture here for me.

I was just curious if the cost and investment in e-cigs ends up becoming more expensive than regular smokes.

(I was paying less than $100/month when I smoked.)

E-cigs seem to be trending big time right now...

Not that I plan to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness