U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 AM
 
4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10291

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
All depends. Store-bought cigarettes are fraught with dangers.

Roll your own with chemical-free, natural tobacco, and? We're talking a world of difference here!
No difference....tobacco is tobacco.

There is no safe cigarette

 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,464 posts, read 20,002,503 times
Reputation: 22367
The wonderful thing about research, is it's never, ever final!

Just when you think the latest research is made of steel, it turns out to be made of paper.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
964 posts, read 2,285,872 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like some one is looking for rationalizations to smoke or eat donuts.
Give em both up and join a gymn.
You're wrong again.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Buxton, England
7,032 posts, read 8,372,655 times
Reputation: 3529
This is a stupid question because people don't typically consume nearly as many donuts in one go as they do cigarettes anyway, so null argument.

People get addicted to cigarettes and when they do they literally feel they "need" to keep smoking them many times a day. No such thing happens with donuts, or at least, not to nearly the same level.

In the typical levels the average person might eat a donut, it won't do any harm, especially if they are burning the calories off. Any amount of cigarette smoking can only damage your health and that's all it does. Whereas sugars/carbs/nutrients (though few) in a donut can serve a purpose and give you energy, cigarettes provide your body with dangerous poisons which directly affect and destroy tissues of your body. Smoking is stupid.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Memphis, Tn ~ U.S.A.
1,704 posts, read 3,959,611 times
Reputation: 1070
If I eat 3 donuts I will want to smoke a cigarette afterwards
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
964 posts, read 2,285,872 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
This is a stupid question because people don't typically consume nearly as many donuts in one go as they do cigarettes anyway, so null argument.

People get addicted to cigarettes and when they do they literally feel they "need" to keep smoking them many times a day. No such thing happens with donuts, or at least, not to nearly the same level.

In the typical levels the average person might eat a donut, it won't do any harm, especially if they are burning the calories off. Any amount of cigarette smoking can only damage your health and that's all it does. Whereas sugars/carbs/nutrients (though few) in a donut can serve a purpose and give you energy, cigarettes provide your body with dangerous poisons which directly affect and destroy tissues of your body. Smoking is stupid.
This is a stupid post because the question was clearly a hypothetical with limits and parameters. They way you've irrelevantly reframed it, it is a stupid comparison and your comparison wouldn't be worth discussing.

Of course one pack of cigarettes is more unhealthy than one donut but is one cigarette more unhealthy than one donut? I think it isn't and I think people who have responded so far think it is but I don't think they are really thinking.

Three donuts a day, 1000 extra calories. There are 3500 calories in a pound so that's 7000 calories a week or two pounds of fat IN A WEEK. That's not worse than 21 cigarettes in a week?
 
Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: downtown Sarasota
4,617 posts, read 12,066,249 times
Reputation: 1942
Please don't forget about the air we breathe which is full of smoke, toxins & what not regardless whether you have a cigarette a day or not.

No matter how much you don't smoke, do exercise & sleep, you still have to breathe the air (unless you're in your own private oxygen tank).
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Remember the premise of the thread: If all else was equal, no extra exercising. Besides, how many people could exercise an extra 1000 calories a day? Very few.

If you ate three donuts a day you'd theorhetically gain two pounds a week or eight pounds in a month. Compare that to smoking 90 cigarettes that month. ANother month and you've gained 16 pounds compared to 180 cigarettes.

Sixteen pounds of blubber is a lot unhealthier than 180 cigarettes.
You are forgetting that the body can naturally burn off the calories from the donut(s). The body can not get rid of any of the unhealthy part from smoking even ONE cigarette. Once that smoke even from ONE cigarette a day hits your lungs the damage is done. It does not matter if you smoked one a day for 10 years when you were young you still have a MUCH greater risk of developing lung cancer. The person that eats 3 donuts a day may not suffer any negative side effects depending upon how their body metabolizes sugar and fat.

Therefore, one can not say that by eating 3 donuts a day a person is automatically going to gain weight. We can say that a person that smokes 1 cigarette a day IS doing damage to their lungs and all of their internal organs as well as to the air and furnishings around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
We're not comparing a pack of cigarettes to one donut. One cigarette to one donut or three cigarettes to three donuts.

In the long run, three cigarettes a day won't (likely) kill you but the tens of pounds you'd put on by eating three extra donuts a day, all the fat, etc will kill you much sooner.
Even ONE cigarette per day CAN kill you. You don't even have to smoke a cigarette in your life but if you live around someone that does you have a higher risk of developing lung cancer. Most people could probably eat ONE donut a day for their entire life and never develop diabetes or gain an ounce of weight. Our body is better suited to break down the fats we eat than it is to fight off toxins that one can inhale by cigarettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
This is a stupid post because the question was clearly a hypothetical with limits and parameters. They way you've irrelevantly reframed it, it is a stupid comparison and your comparison wouldn't be worth discussing.

Of course one pack of cigarettes is more unhealthy than one donut but is one cigarette more unhealthy than one donut? I think it isn't and I think people who have responded so far think it is but I don't think they are really thinking.

Three donuts a day, 1000 extra calories. There are 3500 calories in a pound so that's 7000 calories a week or two pounds of fat IN A WEEK. That's not worse than 21 cigarettes in a week?
Again, it only takes ONE cigarette a day to cause lung cancer. It CAN kill you. Cigarette's are by far more unhealthy than eating donuts AND candy bars.

Once again, the way the body breaks down fats and sugars eating a donut or 3 per day does not automatically increase ones odds of gaining weight nor of diabetes. Smoking one cigarette per day, or in your hypothetical question, 3 per day....... your body has NO WAY of getting rid of the toxins and your risk of lung cancer DRASTICALLY increases as do your odds of other health issues.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
964 posts, read 2,285,872 times
Reputation: 572
My comments in Marlboro Red.


Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You are forgetting that the body can naturally burn off the calories from the donut(s).

Not forgetting it.



Therefore, one can not say that by eating 3 donuts a day a person is automatically going to gain weight.

Oh yes we can. Remember, the premise of the question is all other things were equal - the donut person isn't going to compensate for the donuts by doing extra exercise. So, yes, they will gain weight, about two pounds a week at three donuts a day.




Even ONE cigarette per day CAN kill you.

Right, but weren't not talking the 1% of people here. We're talking generalizations. In general, which will be more unhealthy? Three cigarettes a day or three donuts a day? Granted, three cigarettes a day isn't great but we're not talking a pack a day here. However, three donuts is 1000 extra calories going straight to fat.

Most people could probably eat ONE donut a day for their entire life and never develop diabetes or gain an ounce of weight.

No, if a person eats one extra donut a day (say 350 calories) they'll gain one pound every ten days, until they reach an equilibrium plateau at which calories in = calories burned + calories wasted + calories stored.


Again, it only takes ONE cigarette a day to cause lung cancer. It CAN kill you. Cigarette's are by far more unhealthy than eating donuts AND candy bars.

Again, it depends on how much. It seems people are assuming one cigarette is just as dangerous as one pack of cigarettes.


Once again, the way the body breaks down fats and sugars eating a donut or 3 per day does not automatically increase ones odds of gaining weight

Yes it does. Where are you getting this magic calorie math?

Smoking one cigarette per day, or in your hypothetical question, 3 per day....... your body has NO WAY of getting rid of the toxins and your risk of lung cancer DRASTICALLY increases as do your odds of other health issues.

Right - nobody is saying it isn't - but compared to three donuts, I don't think it is as unhealthy.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
My comments in Marlboro Red.

It seems people are assuming one cigarette is just as dangerous as one pack of cigarettes.



Because ONE cigarette IS just as bad as a pack. Maybe not as quick to cause problems..... for some. But it only takes ONE cigarette per day to start coating your lungs w/ tar. It only takes ONE cigarette to change your skin. It only takes ONE cigarette to increase your risk of asthma, allergies, heart conditions, cancer, etc. It only takes ONE cigarette.

To heck w/ it....... one does not even have to be the one doing the actual smoking to be effected by it. Second hand smoke is just as bad. Second hand smoke increases the risk of lung cancer as well as allergies and asthma and a host of other serious illnesses. Someone eating a donut near you is NOT going to give you a greater increase in developing diabetes. Someone eating a DOZEN donuts near you every single day is not going to increase your odds of gaining weight or developing diabetes or any other serious illness much less a cold. Smoking.......... is not even on the same level.

It's obvious you think smoking just one or three a day is not bad at all and does no harm. Maybe you should ask your doctor next time you visit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top