U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM

964 posts, read 2,286,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianna76 View Post
Cigarettes are by far the worst, in my opinion.

Donuts you can burn off by just some exercise. But tobacco stays in your system for a long time.
You [must have] failed to read the original post. The assumption is that no extra exercise is performed if eating the extra donuts.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,417,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
All other things being equal, which makes your life unhealthier?

If you smoked three cigarettes a day vs eating three donuts (1000 calories total) a day?

Eating an extra 1000 calories a day will cause you to put on weight quite rapidly (remember all things being equal - no extra exercising to burn off the extra calories).

Will three cigarettes significantly increase your risk of lung cancer or emphysema?

My vote goes to a donut is more unhealthy.
I'll take the donuts. My basal metabolic rate is over 1000 calories anyhow. I can also adjust my diet to account for the extra calories.

If I eat the three donuts a day and eat nothing else, I will lose quite a bit of weight. I know that most people will not be satisfied with only three donuts a day but most smokers will not be satisfied with just three cigarettes either.

Out of all of the smokers I've lived with or known, none of them smoked only three cigs a day.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,580,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I'll take the donuts. My basal metabolic rate is over 1000 calories anyhow. I can also adjust my diet to account for the extra calories.

If I eat the three donuts a day and eat nothing else, I will lose quite a bit of weight. I know that most people will not be satisfied with only three donuts a day but most smokers will not be satisfied with just three cigarettes either.

Out of all of the smokers I've lived with or known, none of them smoked only three cigs a day.
Now that is absurd.

and so is this premise.

doughnuts are rarely if ever more than 250 calories a piece so we're not even talking 1000 calories here. And the fried/dough sugar combo is garbage (diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity, arthritis, etc etc) for your entire system, but smoking even one cigarette a day, let alone three will do a world of damage to a whole lot more of you than the doughnuts.
Bladder and lung cancer anyone?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:

That's nice; and it's probably true, but it has nothing to do with thei original post. The assumptions are comparing one donut and one cigarette with all other factors the same.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Now that is absurd.

and so is this premise.

doughnuts are rarely if ever more than 250 calories a piece so we're not even talking 1000 calories here. And the fried/dough sugar combo is garbage (diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity, arthritis, etc etc) for your entire system, but smoking even one cigarette a day, let alone three will do a world of damage to a whole lot more of you than the doughnuts.

For the sake of the question, I assumed three donuts were 1000 pounds. Let's not argue about how many calories three donuts have; address the question exactly as it is asked. Lots of people here are changing the parameters of the question and thus addressing a different question.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,417,177 times
Quote:
Now that is absurd.

and so is this premise.

Well that's the point. If we start off with an silly premise then you wil get a silly answer.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM

4,152 posts, read 9,580,830 times
Quote:
Well that's the point. If we start off with an silly premise then you wil get a silly answer.
You are correct.

So here goes:

it's not about which one is worse or better...which one will eff you up faster.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Quote:
You are correct.

So here goes:

it's not about which one is worse or better...which one will eff you up faster.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM

15,533 posts, read 35,652,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
For the sake of the question, I assumed three donuts were 1000 pounds. Let's not argue about how many calories three donuts have; address the question exactly as it is asked. Lots of people here are changing the parameters of the question and thus addressing a different question.
Wait ... did you say calories or pounds? (Just yankin' yer chain, Mommy!)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM

8,516 posts, read 3,813,001 times
Cigarette is far worse. I'm half way to being a Respiratory Therapist, and I see the impact of smoking every day.

Not saying the 3 donuts are good for you with its sugar and carbs, but the 3 cigarettes are filled with loads of toxins and carcinogens. Each and every cigarette you smoke literally sent heat, poisons deep into your delicate lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness