U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,290,915 times

Advertisements

I've noticed lately that when I wake up I can no longer just pop out of bed like I used to, rather I am in pain and it takes me effort to just push myself up due to pain.

Granted, I know I'm getting older but this should not be happening so young, IMO. Sometimes I sleep on the sofa and did this for quite an extended period of time. I think I may have screwed up my back. Now it even hurts when I get up out of my regular bed.

Anyway, what is the best bed? I've seen those sleep number beds, posterpedic beds, etc. I know they are expensive but I don't want to deal with this pain when I wake up and feel like I'm 90 years old. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 AM

519 posts, read 891,393 times
Rule of thumb;

If you're heavy/ overweight - the bigger you are; the firmer the mattress should be.

If you're skinny/ underweight - the smaller you are; the softer your mattress should be.

Honestly, it's as simple as that.

Hope your back feels better soon!

Don't forget to take care of your back during the day - bend at the knees when lifting and limit shoes with heels.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,943,481 times
Try attending some yoga classes.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
I am 6'2' and 235 lbs. my sleep number is 55. (softer)

My wife is 5'6" and 135 lbs. her sleep number is 80. (firmer)

I never would have guessed.

We've had our Sleep Number bed for over 5 years, and I've never slept better.

Get a Sleep Number bed. You will never regret it!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Sleep on the floor. All the padding you need is an average-pile carpet and a blanket folded quarter, to cushion your hips and shoulders. Use as many pilows and blankets as you need, make sure a window is open and heat/AC turned off. It will be uncomfortable for a few days, but by the end of the week, you will resolve to never sleep on a mattress again, nor in a closed room.

Before getting up, do "cat-stretches"---stretch our all your extremities and arch your back as hard and tight as you can, for about ten seconds, the way a cat does when it wakes up.

The good news is that it takes no speculative investment. If you don't like it, it has cost you nothing to find out, and you can get back onto a mattress.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

I have been thinking about it.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,290,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Thanks, how much do those cost and do they give you like a trial day period (like 30 days?) Also, where do you get them?

Did you look into that one bed that curves to your body before the sleep number bed? The one they advertise where they have the glass of wine and jump up and down and the wine doesn't spill?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I have a flexible bed (like a hospital bed) with a tempurpedic mattress. It is the best thing I have ever done for my back! I raise the head a little and the feet a little and it cradles you like a big puffy recliner. It takes all the pressure off your back. They are quite expensive - my queen-sized one cost about $2,500 a few years ago. One store that you can check is Relax The Back, also many department stores carry them now. They do come in a twin size if your spouse would not like sleeping in that poisition.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,543,549 times
I think it all depends on what type of sleep you want..my back was hurting for a while after waking up but last month, I bit the bullet and bought a Stearns and Foster Luxury Ultra Firm mattress. Been the best sleep ever since. I used to have a Sealy Posturepedic which was good when I bought it 10 years ago!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I've noticed lately that when I wake up I can no longer just pop out of bed like I used to, rather I am in pain and it takes me effort to just push myself up due to pain.

Granted, I know I'm getting older but this should not be happening so young, IMO. Sometimes I sleep on the sofa and did this for quite an extended period of time. I think I may have screwed up my back. Now it even hurts when I get up out of my regular bed.

Anyway, what is the best bed? I've seen those sleep number beds, posterpedic beds, etc. I know they are expensive but I don't want to deal with this pain when I wake up and feel like I'm 90 years old. Thanks in advance.
I see that you are assuming that your spine is in alignment and all is OK. I doubt that everything is ok.

While I know many people don't believe in Chiropractic treatment it is often the best solution to a painful back problem. A good chiro is worth his/her weight in gold when you hurt like you do.

So before you plunk down the cash for a new mattress visit a chiro first since sleeping on the couch would screw anyones back up! Ouch!!!

Note: If your back is in need of adjustment it may take several visits to keep things calm back there. It took you awhile to screw it up and it WILL take awhile to unscrew things up so don't figure on a one shot cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or