U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 AM

740 posts, read 1,256,008 times
Default Stiff neck in the mornings.

Lately, within the past few weeks, I have been waking up in the middle of the night with horrible neck pain. I literally have to lift my head with my hands to reposition. Once it starts, it last the rest of the night. I have not changed anything so I am at a loss why all of a sudden this would start happening... and then continue for so long. When I get out of bed in the mornings... it takes only a short time before my neck is back to normal and not hurting.

I have tried sleeping in different positions, using a pillow, not using a pillow.... pain killers before bedtime... Any suggestions? Should this be something to be concerned about? Thanks in advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 AM

3,403 posts, read 8,880,915 times
Is it the front of your neck? or the back? or everywhere? and is it effecting your head?

Several symptoms of frontal neck pain that is dramaticly increased in people while they are sleeping (it has to do with the blood regulation) is a possible swollen lymph node. More serious cases have lead to the early discovery of thyroid problems. It is also an early tell-tale sign of menengitis. But it could be as simple as a bad posture problem, that is now starting to take it's tole on your spin, thus when the preassure is releived on your spine (when your sleeping) it takes out all of it's stress on your neck!

I would try leaving the pillow for a few nights while you sleep. Even if you have tried it once before - one night, will not make a difference so fast.

And again - it could matter what parts of your neck specificly are sore!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
Is it the front of your neck? or the back? or everywhere? and is it effecting your head?

Several symptoms of frontal neck pain that is dramaticly increased in people while they are sleeping (it has to do with the blood regulation) is a possible swollen lymph node. More serious cases have lead to the early discovery of thyroid problems. It is also an early tell-tale sign of menengitis. But it could be as simple as a bad posture problem, that is now starting to take it's tole on your spin, thus when the preassure is releived on your spine (when your sleeping) it takes out all of it's stress on your neck!

I would try leaving the pillow for a few nights while you sleep. Even if you have tried it once before - one night, will not make a difference so fast.

And again - it could matter what parts of your neck specificly are sore!
Thanks for responding...
To answer your question it is in the spinal column... upper shoulder and neck area.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 AM

I would start, by pushing the whole "potential posture problem"
I picked through the finer points of a few articles I was reading earlier. I hope you find them as helpful as they were intended to be.

What To Do Every Day To Prevent Neck Pain. To restore proper muscle length to allow healthy posture:

First thing in the morning, don’t sit on the bed. Instead of sitting and rounding your back first thing, turn over and lie face down. Prop gently on elbows, but not so high that it strains. It should feel good and help you straighten out first thing. Get out of bed without sitting.

Don’t droop your head forward when sitting and standing. Remember that posture is a voluntary muscular exercise.

Can you lie on your back without needing a pillow under your head? If not, your forward head has become dangerously tight.

More Things To Do Every Day to Prevent Forward Rounding from Ruining Your Neck

Sit without rounding your shoulders and upper back.
Count how many times you let your head tilt or hang forward each day. Imagine the injury to your neck by doing that many times each day.
Raise your computer monitor up. Don’t just tilt it, use a low shelf or phone books to raise it higher so you don’t bend your neck down to work.
Move your television up higher. Stop curling down and forward to watch.
Move your desk and car seats closer in. Then sit back, not forward.
It is not important “to keep feet on floor” or keep “flat thighs” - parallel to the ground. That is often repeated as advice to prevent pain, but it does not change injurious mechanics. Focus on the main issue, not the trivia.
Move your computer keyboard off the “below desk” tray. Keep it on the desk.
Use your muscles, not joints to hold you up. It’s free exercise.
When you pull your chin in to fix your posture, don’t do it by arching your back. The postural change needs to come from your upper body, not by creating another strain on another body part.
Don’t think you have to live your life “on eggshells” constantly holding yourself rigidly straight. Restricting your movement to limit pain is not how to live, isn’t healthy, and isn’t fun. Get more active. Learn the principles and apply them, instead of memorizing “rules” and buying expensive ergonomic chairs and beds.

Stretch your upper back “the other way” to counter rounding. When you look upward or reach up for all your daily activities, don’t do it by craning your neck and arching your back. Instead, stretch your upper body back, which is a great stretch that you need anyway.

PS - I went to a church in... Belguim, a good 7 years ago, that was called IBC. I don't suppose there's any connection?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
I would start, by pushing the whole "potential posture problem"
I picked through the finer points of a few articles I was reading earlier. I hope you find them as helpful as they were intended to be.

What To Do Every Day To Prevent Neck Pain. To restore proper muscle length to allow healthy posture:

First thing in the morning, don’t sit on the bed. Instead of sitting and rounding your back first thing, turn over and lie face down. Prop gently on elbows, but not so high that it strains. It should feel good and help you straighten out first thing. Get out of bed without sitting.

Don’t droop your head forward when sitting and standing. Remember that posture is a voluntary muscular exercise.

Can you lie on your back without needing a pillow under your head? If not, your forward head has become dangerously tight.

More Things To Do Every Day to Prevent Forward Rounding from Ruining Your Neck

Sit without rounding your shoulders and upper back.
Count how many times you let your head tilt or hang forward each day. Imagine the injury to your neck by doing that many times each day.
Raise your computer monitor up. Don’t just tilt it, use a low shelf or phone books to raise it higher so you don’t bend your neck down to work.
Move your television up higher. Stop curling down and forward to watch.
Move your desk and car seats closer in. Then sit back, not forward.
It is not important “to keep feet on floor” or keep “flat thighs” - parallel to the ground. That is often repeated as advice to prevent pain, but it does not change injurious mechanics. Focus on the main issue, not the trivia.
Move your computer keyboard off the “below desk” tray. Keep it on the desk.
Use your muscles, not joints to hold you up. It’s free exercise.
When you pull your chin in to fix your posture, don’t do it by arching your back. The postural change needs to come from your upper body, not by creating another strain on another body part.
Don’t think you have to live your life “on eggshells” constantly holding yourself rigidly straight. Restricting your movement to limit pain is not how to live, isn’t healthy, and isn’t fun. Get more active. Learn the principles and apply them, instead of memorizing “rules” and buying expensive ergonomic chairs and beds.

Stretch your upper back “the other way” to counter rounding. When you look upward or reach up for all your daily activities, don’t do it by craning your neck and arching your back. Instead, stretch your upper body back, which is a great stretch that you need anyway.

PS - I went to a church in... Belguim, a good 7 years ago, that was called IBC. I don't suppose there's any connection?

Thanks so much for all of your help. I will try those things.

And about my name... My husband works for Interstate Brands Corporation which is Wonder Bread/ Hostess Cakes.. We have been married for 22 years and he has worked for the company for 26 (since he was 16). We have moved, so many times, chasing his dream job. I feel like a military wife... for IBC...

Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,990,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Thanks so much for all of your help. I will try those things.

And about my name... My husband works for Interstate Brands Corporation which is Wonder Bread/ Hostess Cakes.. We have been married for 22 years and he has worked for the company for 26 (since he was 16). We have moved, so many times, chasing his dream job. I feel like a military wife... for IBC...
Well then, I can tell you, your neck and shoulder problem is stress related! What you described to me I have had a lot. When your stressed out it accumulated in the back of your neck. You probably get headaches to and have other stress related problems your not aware of. Google stress related symptoms. I bet you find a few. If you don't have a fever or a growing lump in the front of your neck, it's not menegitis or thyroid. You would really know if you had those and wouldn't be asking us. It sounds like you have every reason to be stressed out. Moving that much and as a woman and wife myself, helping others chase there dreams is a big neck breaker. I get those off and on, it seems like once they get ahold of you they always creep back in the down times. Very common, you just need to find some me time, start some light exercise to release good chemicals and maybe a good ole vibrating recliner!lol

Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM

8,640 posts, read 13,930,798 times
Default Chiropractor....?

I don't know if you have ever been to a chiropractor, ibc. That would be my suggestion. When I was growing up, we didn't "do" chiropractors-kind of considered them quacks But I had severe chronic neck pain and finally broke down and went to see a very competent chiropractor. Had done the medical route and was not helped by that.That helped me immensely. Wish I had tried it years ago.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well then, I can tell you, your neck and shoulder problem is stress related! What you described to me I have had a lot. When your stressed out it accumulated in the back of your neck. You probably get headaches to and have other stress related problems your not aware of. Google stress related symptoms. I bet you find a few. If you don't have a fever or a growing lump in the front of your neck, it's not menegitis or thyroid. You would really know if you had those and wouldn't be asking us. It sounds like you have every reason to be stressed out. Moving that much and as a woman and wife myself, helping others chase there dreams is a big neck breaker. I get those off and on, it seems like once they get ahold of you they always creep back in the down times. Very common, you just need to find some me time, start some light exercise to release good chemicals and maybe a good ole vibrating recliner!lol

You know Twiggy, it could very well be stress related. Although we have been in the same house now for 9 years...and there is no more moving for a while... and the DH has his dream job (although it is not the dream he thought it would be with this being the 3rd year for the company's bankruptcy), there is a ton of other things going on right now. Kinda like the commercial "depression hurts"? I will have to work on my stress level.... she is coming over for dinner tonight.... we will have to see how that goes.

I do get stress related migraines... I am blessed to have a husband with wonderful hands that can wipe out a migraine (if it hasn't progressed too far) with one of his great back rubs.

Thanks for your help... I truly appreciate everyone who is willing to take time out of their day to give advice! God bless!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't know if you have ever been to a chiropractor, ibc. That would be my suggestion. When I was growing up, we didn't "do" chiropractors-kind of considered them quacks But I had severe chronic neck pain and finally broke down and went to see a very competent chiropractor. Had done the medical route and was not helped by that.That helped me immensely. Wish I had tried it years ago.

Thank you KayKay... It just may come to that. Although my DH thinks that they are quacks.... no offense to anyone here... I know that my family have found great relief in visiting a chiropractor when they had problems.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM

*nodding sadly*

You would be surprised at what length stress can go to, to disrupt or discomfort your life and your health.

Take care and God bless. & I hope you feel better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness