Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:44 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,546,649 times

Advertisements

Does anyone believe that your mind alone can heal your body? I am a skeptic by nature but I have to admit that the ONE thing I continue seeing circumstantial evidence of - is this.

For instance

- have you noticed that having something to live for keeps people alive? Commonly this is seen with elders who's spouses die and then they do shortly after. My mom seemed to be having symptoms of esophageal cancer in 2007 that she hid from me.. I caught her seeming to struggle to swallow. But she denied it and was more careful around me. But she didn't end up passing away until 2011, 4 months after my dad passed, from esophageal and stomach cancer. She was his caretaker and I think refused to go until he had. Everyone remarks on how couples go like this.

- When i was a kid I had a health problem I had to get a medical device for. I had been under the impression that the medical device would cure my condition, not just be something I had to wear. I cheerfully wore it assuming there would be great improvement... at my first check up... there was. It was amazing. I was the talk of the department. I was all set to never wear it again and my doctor told me.. nope sorry you need to keep it on. This kind of dashed my spirit and next check up.. things back slid. I never got back to the place I was after the first round. I often think that if he had set a new goal for me and promised I would get it off if I got there, I would have.

- Whenever I study some new thing such as mindful meditation etc.. they often have a study that hints (or basically shows) it. I read a study one time that had three groups of OCD patients. One got an SSRI, one did nothing, one did cognitive behavior techniques. At follow up PET scans they thought the SSRI people would show changes in the brain but the only people that showed significant brain changes were the people that used mental force. Many of them had actually increased the size of the brain in particular areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 10:35 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I absolutely believe it.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
What we think and put in our minds, does matter. The more negative thoughts the more negative outcomes.

My neighbor who is 93 and takes care of herself, deals with a lot of arthritis, two hip replacements that keeps her on a rollator and not walking like she did all her life, so much damage to her 93 yr old body, BUT she refuses to talk about aging. She's alert and otherwise quit healthy for her long life. She has been taking supplements for probably 30 some yrs and still open to more. Talking to her about the HGH gel I'm using and she's thinking on it in her budget. I didn't tell her about it since I know she's tight with funds, but her son is giving her more $$ now and so she has some to spend more. The "gel" could help her with what's left to her good life but as I said she has issues for sure and who would not at 93.

Yes, mind does matter.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-01-2019 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2019, 12:14 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I absolutely believe it.

...double ditto!...

Old 09-03-2019, 03:18 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,462 times
The mind can certainly go a long way in helping!

Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"Does anyone believe that your mind alone can heal your body?"
alone? no...but it can set things in motion for healing.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
You know the mind can cure the body...that’s why the placebo/nocebo effect is such a pia to drug companies testing new drugs. The trick is learning to harness it to your benefit. Joe Dispenza wrote a book called You Are the Placebo which I recommend.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:19 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Yes, I believe it. I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Long story, but hospital gave me nothing my doctor had ordered I be given; not so much as my blood pressure monitored. I walked the hallways until my OB/GYN got there. I just knew I would have been a goner if I stayed in that bed.

I was told that when I was wheeled into surgery 24 hours later I was screaming that you are not going to kill me. I WILL live to see my toddler daughter grow up. She just turned 40 and has a child of her own now.

The hospital staff said it was a "miracle" that I hadn't gone into a coma with massive internal bleeding I had. All the staff doctors just had to come in to see me. It was a parade. Who the H are you? Get out and leave me alone. I am not a freak. I was very, very mad at all of them.

There was one young Intern from Jamaica who came with the others. I will never forget him saying to the other doctors, and I quote some 35 years later, "The Mind is the most powerful Medicine there is". He alone got it.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-08-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You know the mind can cure the body...that’s why the placebo/nocebo effect is such a pia to drug companies testing new drugs. The trick is learning to harness it to your benefit. Joe Dispenza wrote a book called You Are the Placebo which I recommend.
I could write a book on that as well.

I think it's hilarious that some people try to put down the placebo effect, saying this or that didn't really work because there's no scientific evidence, it was just the placebo effect. In reality, it's a wonderful thing. And like you said, proven in every drug test.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
I don't believe that diseases can be cured by the mind alone, but I do believe that the mind and body are connected. What happens to one affects the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine