Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,409,603 times

Advertisements

What does everyone know about the Candida Spit Test?
(Apologies for any TMI following).

There is so much controversy around this topic and so much confusing (as well as commercially predatory) information on the Net, coupled by conventional doctors' tendency to dismiss this topic before you even get a chance to open your mouth about it - that I would appreciate as many frank inputs as I could possibly get here.

So the Candida Spit test says: first thing in the morning, if you spit in a glass of water and your saliva is thick, cloudy and starts forming "legs" sinking at the bottom (which in a few hours will be all settled down in a white, thick, fleece-like carpet) - then you have an overgrowth of Candida in your body/intestine/whatever.

I have had this symptom for over a decade, without variation - each and every day. No, I am not obsessively testing everyday, my body simply compels me to do it as I wake up with a thick, coated mouth and need to rinse and then spit back in the glass - and then I see exactly what is described in the Candida spit test.
I have asked persons very close to me to perform this test so I can compare (husband and sister) and neither of them produced saliva that behaves like this early in the morning. Theirs just floated on top of the water with nothing weird sinking down.

I brought this up with doctors and nurses over the years and they typically "pooh-pooh" the whole thing. My GP once asked me "but if your other medical tests are fine and you are overall fine, why do even you care"?
He looked in my mouth - no thrush. When I pushed, he even accepted to send a saliva test (swipe) at the lab and the results came back "fine", according to him. Case closed.

Yet, not all my issues over the years have been "fine".

Years ago I was diagnosed with chronic rhinitis (a conventional doctor's way of saying "F*ck if I know why your nose is always stuffy and you produce large amounts of thick mucous without being allergic to anything in particular); at one time, after I had my second child, my RA factor came out weird and the GP suspected rheumatoid arthritis which was later excluded by a rheumatologist;...and more recently, I was diagnosed with "perleche" or "angular cheilitis" which is basically a fungus infection/sore at the corners of the mouth. The derm said I got it because I drool at night. Sure enough, given my eternally stuffy nose, I often sleep with my mouth open and the saliva keeps the corners of the mouth constantly moist. But then again, that in itself would point to the overgrowth of Candida in my saliva. On top of that, I acquired a nail fungus on both big toes about a few months ago (diagnosed by podiatrist).

Of course, conventional doctors never draw a link between Candida overgrowth and the above mentioned issues.

At the end of the day though, I need to know: if that spit test is a "myth" invented by some company to sell their anti-Candida drug, then WHAT IS THAT WHITE STUFF IN THE GLASS every God-Given morning????!!!!

That is REAL, not a hypochondriac's imagination!

I have read that just because your saliva would behave like this in the morning doesn't mean you have Candida overgrowth.
The anti-argument says that this can just be a sign of dehydration from the night before. Absolutely NOT, as I get the same thing even when I literally drown myself in water the night before or through the night; or that it can be "thickened mucous". Absolutely not again, as I know perfectly the difference between mucous (coming from the nose) and saliva thickened with something.
Also, once the "something" is settled at the bottom of the glass it ABSOLUTELY has the appearance of a fungus.

That is NOT dehydration, nor mucous, nor anything else that has been used as argument to "debunk" the "myth" of the Candida test.

So, what IS that thing at the bottom of the glass then?

Any opinions will be wholeheartedly appreciated, whether or not they are "medical". Please don't tell me to NOT get my medical advice here as there is nowhere I can go to get THIS TYPE of medical advice. Whatever I was able to ask regular doctors about this topic has already been asked.
In general, regular doctors won't listen and I simply don't have the money for a naturopath right now (who would surely diagnose me with Candida overgrowth anyway and put me on the Candida program, which I've already begun on my own - once again, after one failed attempt in the past as the Diet is downright draconian).

I should mention that over the years I have been craving carbs like nuts and my idea of Heaven is the smell of freshly baked bread.

Many, many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 54,970 times
Default Spit test

I haven't done the spit test in years but I KNOW I have Candida. I even went as far as to get an MRI due to numb limbs, I sometimes have all over body itching, digestive distress, congestion, thick mucous - the whole nine yards. Regular doctors always dismiss it so I don't pay any attention to them. I just started taking a probiotic with 15 billion units of live cultures. It's a daily battle. But you know your body. Therefore, I don't think the spit test is a myth.

Good luck and health!

Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,643,690 times
I have post-nasal drip. As such, my spit is ALWAYS thick and cloudy. If I'm especially thirsty, it's even thicker and cloudier and will even occasionally bubble and look a little like foam. I don't have thrush. Never did. I did used to get yeast infections of the vagina, but never of the mouth, and I haven't had a genital yeast infection since I stopped wearing pantyhose, spandex leggings, and switched to cotton or silk underwear. So like - I haven't had one since the 1980's, in other words.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,760,401 times
Why would something that's in your digestive tract show up in your mouth? And if it did, why only in the morning?

And since you know you're sleeping with your mouth open, isn't your mouth drying out as you sleep, allowing bacteria overgrowth? Saliva depresses growth in your mouth but you supply less when you sleep (which is why everyone wakes up with a nasty mouth) and if you're additionally drying out what little you're making, then I don't see how you couldn't wake up with a nasty supply of spit.

And I do think the mucous argument is totally valid. Thinned out mucous from post nasal drip would thicken your saliva. But if this is bugging you so much, why not take the treatment for it and see if anything changes? Even if it is bogus, you'll either be able to move on or you'll enjoy a placebo effect. Why not give it a go?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,880,360 times
Gross.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,026,361 times
Have you had any luck with anything for your sinuses? It sounds like if your sinuses were not so stuffy, you wouldn't have this problem. I'm not a doctor but it sounds like everything is tied to that (except the nail fungus, which is pretty common, and SUPER hard to get rid of).
Don't smoke, keep the dust in your house low, maybe use a humidifier at night...keep your head propped up on an extra pillow...if you live in a smoggy area, you might want to move. After all that, you might want to try different OTC decongestants if you haven't already. I had to use Claritin-D off and on when I lived in NJ (but not now that I live in MO; not sure if this is because they don't have the same allergins here in the air, or just because the air is cleaner here).
Brushing your teeth well at night and again in the morning might help keep your mouth more comfortable. Some people's mouths get dried out from using mouthwash, so you might want to try skipping that.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,180,231 times
There is no such thing as "candida overgrowth"....at least not the way it is promulgated in the alternative medicine realm.

If you are immunocompromised, have had an organ transplant, live on prednisone...."maybe" you have to worry about diarrhea from candida and oral candidiasis....

Otherwise.....

Absolute nonsense perpetuated by quacks to line their pockets.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

36,969 posts, read 40,942,878 times
All that's in the glass is spit.

The guy who invented the test did so in order to create a market for treatment of a nonexistent condition.

Because the symptoms of that condition are nonspecific, like fatigue, he could predict a high placebo effect.

Great way to make money.

Many people carry candida in the body. It may or may not cause symptoms, like a sore mouth with thrush or vaginal itching. But for it to make someone sick or get into the blood is very uncommon unless, as bluedevilz says, there is an immune deficiency. If it does that, there will be more symptoms than just fatigue.

Your chronic rhinitis is most likely due to an allergy, not candida. Chronic use of nasal decongestant sprays can make it worse. You need to stop using any nasal sprays and see an allergist.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 54,222 times
Wellll I had really distressing, painful and recurrent thrush for my entire teenage years, I tried everything on the market, the candida diet (stupidly hard for a veggie - I looked anorexic!) yeast raiders, gross gross gross chinese herb teas, liquorice pills, acidophillus (i still take these though) and even douchehing with lemon juice and lavender oil in the bathwater (hahaha Yeah that word makes me laugh too!) I was desperate!

I believe candida is real, and I think cutting out dairy products can be really effective- you just have to read about modern milk production to realise that something close to 50% of cow's milk is muccous anyway! Eugh! Also, as for the quack science, fungi are nature's way of breaking down sugars inside organisms (eg, trees by symbiotically working within their root systems.) I am aware humans are different to trees, lol, but if fungi work within organisms and encourage the breakdown of complex cell structures into simple sugars, what's the logical assumption about the reaction to a fungus within a body which consumes lots of sugars and carbs?

I don't understand why there's a link between my mouth, my vagina and my gut "flora" (or is it "fauna"?! - makes me think of bambi!!) However, I'm prepared to go with it. Taking acidophillus/drinking probiotic yoghurt drinks has anoticable effect on the discomfort I feel. As I understand it, acidophillus gives off loads of oxygen and fungi don't thrive in an oxygen rich environment: simultaneouy, the acidophillus bacteria fight the fungi for the sugar. Hopefully it's like in reasing the population of a native species when an invading species is using the same land... More soldiers to fight for the rations...

I'm clearly no scientist, but I pigeon-talk the lingo... I hope it's been an interesting read.

Sorry this is punctuated so badly, I'm on my phone and it's hard to view the words in this window... :-s

Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 49,448 times
Default Candida - The spit check

I also have a very cloudy saliva. I am on a very strict candida diet for 3 years but still have a very cloudy saliva. If it is not candida, what can it be ? It is certainly doesn't look OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine