U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 PM

27,525 posts, read 44,136,941 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that is 60 years old and has real high blood pressure. Went to a walk in clinic and they said his blood pressure was 218/100 and heart beat was 45 per minute. The clinic put him on two blood pressure pills a day. Could he really have a heart beat at 45? He thinks it's wonderful to have a heart beat at 45. The clinic told him he's really lucky he didn't have a stroke or heart attack or die.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 AM

2,145 posts, read 8,615,109 times
Unless he is an athlete or is extremely fit, a slow heart beat can be a cause for concern.

There could be a problem with his heart's electrical system, meaning a pacemaker could be in his future. Or he could have other medical problems or imbalances that could cause this. Certain medications can also cause it.

For most people a heart rate at or around 60 would be in the lower normal range. If you have a slow heart beat, your heart may not be able to pump enough blood to your body. One symptom is fainting or passing out.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM

142 posts, read 476,093 times
218/100 would be considered a hypertensize crisis. A systolic reading > 180 really increases the likelihood of a stroke greatly.

Since there is no correlation between heart rate and blood pressure. I don't think his concern should be the fact that his BPM is in the lower boundaries of the normal range (at this point anyway).

Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,563,878 times
About 2 weeks after each baby I had, my blood pressure went up to 180/110 and once to 191/110! I remember my pulse was in the 70's but the last time it was in the 40's. They said that was godod.
There are 3 levels, I think there is hypertensive crisis, emergency and urgency. I think it all depends on the patients age and health.

I went to the ER 3 times with those numbers after I had my baby and they gave me a push of Ativan and sent me home with Xanax and a pat of the back.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,194,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
218/100 would be considered a hypertensize crisis. A systolic reading > 180 really increases the likelihood of a stroke greatly.

Since there is no correlation between heart rate and blood pressure. I don't think his concern should be the fact that his BPM is in the lower boundaries of the normal range (at this point anyway).

Hypertensive crisis is SUDDEN SYMPTOMATIC severe hypertension , usually caused by a SUDDEN increase in a persons usual BP.
The organs cannot cope with the sudden increase and the person can go into a hypertensive crisis.

If he had been in crisis he wouldn't have been walking out the same day with a couple of knew pills in his hot little hand.

There is a correlation between heart rate and BP.

If your heart rate drops very low then your body may be able to maintain your BP at an acceptable level , depending on your age and other conditions, for a while, but not indefinitely.

Looking at heart rate alone is useless.You need to know if it's regular and if the EKG trace is normal.

As another poster said -certain BP drugs and other drugs can lower the heart rate.

I assume they did an EKG?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM

This friend has no health insurance and this clinic gave him only blood pressure pills and I think he told them he wouldn't go to a heart doctor or the hospital because of not having insurance. This friend is over weight and both his parents had high blood pressure and this friend has had a long history of bad blood pressure with no treatment at all.

Thanks, John

Found information about this high blood pressure.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/bradycardia/

Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM

142 posts, read 476,093 times
So a BP of 218/100 isn't classified as hypertensive crisis?

There is no correlation between High Blood Pressure and heart rate.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,194,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
So a BP of 218/100 isn't classified as hypertensive crisis?

There is no correlation between High Blood Pressure and heart rate.

No- not if the patient is asymptomatic and has a history of hypertension.This is a case of severe hypertension. Hypertensive crisis is

severe elevations in BP, often higher than 220/140 mm Hg, complicated by clinical evidence of progressive target organ dysfunction. These patients require immediate admission and BP reduction (not necessarily to normal ranges) to prevent or limit further target organ damage. Examples include hypertensive encephalopathy, intracranial hemorrhage, acute myocardial infarction, acute left ventricular failure with pulmonary edema, dissecting aneurysm, acute renal failure, and eclampsia of pregnancy. Immediate admission to a monitored unit and parenteral antihypertensive therapy are indicated. It is the clinical state of the patient—in particular, the degree of and/or progression of target organ damage—–that defines a hypertensive emergency and not the absolute level of blood pressure

You didn't say HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE and heart rate in your last post- you just said blood pressure.

If you aggressively treat a high BP in the situation described by the OP, you could actually cause a stroke or heart attack by dropping the BP very quickly.

If you suddenly drop the BP that has been high for a prolonged period, then the vital organs may not receive enough blood supply, and a stroke or heart attack could be the result.

This can happen when people who have high BP are given a general anesthetic for surgery.Some anesthetic drugs can cause a drop in BP and this can cause a stroke, which often isn't picked up on until a few days ater the surgery, especially if it's a smaller stroke.It would be more likely to happen if someone has a previous history of stroke, TIA or heart attack.

Would be interested to know what drug (s) were prescribed and what instructions for follow up were given, as well as any tests carried out.

Having said this, the BP does need to be normalised otherwise this person is going to be a walking time bomb, especailly in the presence of obesity,high cholesterol,family history and smoking.

Agree that the bradycardia probably needs further investigation.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Found out today with some blood tests that this friend is in good shape. His heart and Kidneys, Liver is in good shape with no signs of damage. The high blood pressure was caused by his Prostate. He has a problem going to bathroom and takes up to 20 minutes to go and been like this for years. Doctor told him he could have the Prostate removed or take pills to reduce the swelling. Also takes two blood pressure pills a day. He has a family history of blood problems from parents. His brother and sisters have this same problem also.

The reason why he is in good shape is he cut firewood everyday in the winter and have been very active in summer.

Thanks, John

Last edited by John1960; 02-28-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness