U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 929 times

Advertisements

Hi Frency,

There are many cold sore home remedies like:
1. ice (to shock and kill the virus initially)
2. garlic, coffee grinds mixed with water, toothpaste (to dry out the cold sore blister)
3. Lysine tablets (to heal the cold blister faster)

But everyone is different, and most of these remedies just help to heal the sore faster. If you want to prevent future breakouts, you may have to change your diet. Things like eating more alkaline foods and less acidic foods. Or you may have to take a B12 Vitamin supplement (like I do). Many outbreaks are caused by a Vitamin B deficiency.

Anyways, like I said...we're all unique and your solution will be different than mine.

This comes from my personal experience and a book I'm reading: Cold Sore Free Forever:
http://www.discolorationofskin.com/ColdSore

It helps you figure out what your specific problem is that causes your outbreaks and shows you step by step how to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecny View Post
Any advice on cold sores? Home remedies? I also know there is a prescription cream available...any luck with any of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM

18,523 posts, read 22,848,500 times
If you have recurrent cold sores, the best approach is to stop them in their tracks with a prescription pill. Acyclovir was the first, but there are others now also.

These medications can be taken at the earliest hint of an outbreak --- the tingly, itchy stage --- and actually prevent the blisters from forming.

You can ask your doctor for a prescription. Keep enough on hand for a day or so. Then you can start it even if you begin having symptoms and the drug store is not open.

Many people swear by lysine, but in head to head trials the prescription drugs work better.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM

34 posts, read 60,284 times
I use to get cold soars and used abreva. Works wonders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness