U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM

519 posts, read 1,556,247 times

Advertisements

My 3 year old daughter sleeps with us at night. For the past couple months or so she has been complaining about leg pain at night. I thought maybe I was sleeping on it or she was sleeping on it wrong.

Well I know for sure now it's not me. Just recently she woke up and told me her leg was hurting so she usually asks me to massage it. Well this night I noticed her leg was stiffing up (straight leg) and her calf muscle contracted (like a charlie horse). As I massaged her leg I told her to stop straightening her leg but she told me she wasn't doing anything.

Well usually this would happen once or twice a week and it'll occur every 2-5 minutes for about 30 seconds (or less if I massage her leg) and it'll last for maybe 5-30 mins.

She is fine during the day, no complaints. I did some research and the closest thing I could find was growing pains, but it didnt really specify how the pain was caused.

Anyone else experience this or may know what this is?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
No personal experience, but my niece's daughter just went through the same sort of nighttime pain in her legs. Her pediatrician said it can be caused by dehydration, and told her to encourage her little girl to drink more water to see if it would help.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

8,012 posts, read 2,715,367 times
The following site suggests it is most likely to be growing pains, but recommends a doctor's visit to make sure nothing else is going on.

"If the physical examination is not normal or the pain is associated with other symptoms, your doctor will be able to discuss in more detail other potential diagnoses such as chronic trauma, infection, restless leg syndrome, and childhood arthritis."

Growing Pains | DrGreene.com

As Mattie says, drinking more water should help - the above site recommends tonic water.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,595,624 times
My now 6yo complained of leg pain at night when he was 3-4yo. Never bothered him during the day but once or twice a week he would wake up, in the middle of the night, crying that his leg hurt. Mostly his knee area. I don't remember if he stiffened his leg up like you describe.

Ask her if she can bend her leg when it seems to be straightened like that. When my DD was 20 months, she started walking with her one leg straight and not bending it (not all the time). She never complained that it hurt so at first we thought she had just learned a silly new thing and was trying it out, it turns out she has rheumatoid arthritis.

A visit to the Dr. is probably in order, probably nothing like my 6 yo DS ( hasn't complained about it in over a year )or could be something more serious like my DD. You'll feel better once you get it checked out.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM

19,639 posts, read 53,524,973 times
I can have that and I have grandchildren. For me, it is strictly related to dehydration. I drink an extra glass of water prior to bed and it doesn't happen anymore. Some of us seem to be more sensitive to dehydration.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,695,036 times
Maybe a sports drink or Pedialyte and a banana will help. She might be needing potassium.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,774,882 times
I used to get leg cramps ("charlie horse") in bed usually in the early morning just prior to waking up. I heard that Tonic Water (which contains quinine) could help. I tried it and it seems to have worked for me!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 AM

519 posts, read 1,556,247 times
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try a glass of water first before heading to the doctor to see if that helps. Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness