U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,935,903 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how long most would let back pain go before seeking medical help?

A week ago I tripped coming downstairs and reached out to catch myself to prevent a fall, I guess I pulled a muscle. I had no pain when if first happened but when I woke up the next morning I was in pain. Still in pain, taking Aleve, using a heating pad, resting but still trying to keep active. I have never hurt my back before so just wondering about recovery time for a pulled muscle and is there something else I should be doing to help the recovery along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 AM

8 posts, read 168,345 times
Back pain is never a good sign to anyone's health. Back pain is a symptom. Common causes of back pain involve disease or injury to the muscles, bones, or nerves of the spine.

Most episodes of back pain last a few days, and have completely resolved within a few weeks. If you have new back pain, you should contact your doctor to see if you need further evaluation. There are also a few warning signs that may indicate a problem that needs immediate evaluation:

1. Your back pain persists beyond a few days
2. Your back pain awakens you at night
3. Your have difficulty controlling your bowels or bladder
4. You have a fever, chills, sweats, or other signs of infection
5. Any other unusual symptoms
Never to ignore a back pain as it can be real danger in future. Lots of people are suffering due to their negligence at start.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,655,551 times
Another reason not to ignore back pain, is that sometimes the problem can be SO easily resolved with a single day's dose of a single medication. Or a single shift in how you move for a week. Or even something as simple as propping your knees up with a pillow to sleep at night for three days.
And sometimes, if it's minor like a pinched nerve, a few visits to a good chiropractor can get you up and going.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,215,556 times
Unfortunately back pain is not something that is easily treatable or diagnoseable - esp if it is a muscle tear and not a spinal/nerve injury.

Often the doctors will simply prescribe either muscle relaxants or generalized pain medicines.

I first had lower back pain when I was about 30 years of age - after over exerting moving top soil in my yard. My doctor asked "did you fall?" and I said no - I had done nothing unusual. They pressed me and I finally said - well, I did spend the weekend moving 4 yards of topsoil.

They looked at me like I was a moron and said "Oh.. that explains it".

Truthfully, our back muscles are relatively weak - and if you don't do exercises to strengthen, you can pull them relatively easily (crouching for long periods, standing on a ladder for an extended period, weeding, falling (tightening up your muscles during the fall to try to keep your balance), etc..

If you feel its a muscle problem, I would suggest a chiropractor as they can do as much/more than Dr. and won't cost as much.

If you think there's any chance you actually damaged your spine (vertabrae/nerves) - numbness, tingling, loss of sensation, etc.. -- I'd start with a dr.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,935,903 times
Thanks to all for the input, after about 10 days I am finally feeling better, I started taking Naproxen twice a day and using the heating pad, I am finally able to get up with minimal pain and am resuming my normal activities. This has shown me I definately need to go back to lifting weights for strengthening.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 PM

19,641 posts, read 53,545,549 times
Another treatment is using Epsom salts in the tub or add it to hot water and wring out a towel in it, then place the towel on your back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Thanks to all for the input, after about 10 days I am finally feeling better, I started taking Naproxen twice a day and using the heating pad, I am finally able to get up with minimal pain and am resuming my normal activities. This has shown me I definately need to go back to lifting weights for strengthening.
Please do yourself a favor and cut back on the Naproxen. I had no idea how much that stuff affects a person, til I took one two days in a row for a migraine one week last year. The second day, I went to work, and my boss was talking to me. I bent down to pick up some paper that fell off the desk, got back up and my nose was running. My boss stared at me in horror for around two seconds and RAN to the bathroom to puke her brains out. Turns out, I had a sudden spontaneous nosebleed and it was pouring down my nose.

I haven't had a nosebleed since I was - maybe 9 years old. I thought it was pretty hillarious that I made my boss puke, couldn't stand her anyway. But that was the -only- thing that was different - the Naproxen.

It happened again the next month, same circumstances - one pill one day, a second pill the second day, bent down to do something and the pressure of just lowering my upper torso bust open the bloodgates in my nose.

I will still take one if I get a migraine but hesitate to take another one if the migraine lasts more than a day. I'd probably be a walking hemotoma if I took two in the same 24-hour period.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,024,326 times
AnonChick, I take Naproxen for period cramps, and I've never had this problem. However, drinking any kind of alcohol will bring on nose bleeds, unfortunately.

To the OP, I had the same experience. I went to bed and as I laid down I thought with mild surprise, "Oh, my back is kind of sore." Then I woke up four hours later in so much pain that I couldn't find a comfortable position, and I never did go back to sleep! I went to a chiropractor that day; she spent a good half hour doing a deep tissue massage. Apparently I had strained the left trapezius muscle. It didn't take much; I was carrying some empty boxes from my apartment to the dumpster, and as I was going down the stairs, one box began falling. I lifted my left shoulder to try to keep everything in place!

The pain radiated from a very specific spot in the left middle of my back, but my neck was also affected (I could hardly turn it in either direction) and so was my left arm (pain and weakness). Even after my chiropractor visit, I still had trouble sleeping comfortably for a few days. Now I'm better, but it took a while. This episode really made me have compassion for people with real back problems, i.e. complications from surgery, etc.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Well alcohol definitely wouldn't explain why I got a nosebleed, since I'm not much of a drinker. I used to party a bit in college, and never got a nosebleed then.

As I said, the ONLY time I have ever gotten a nosebleed since I was a young child, were the two months that I took a Naproxen one day for migraine, and then took a second on the second day. I have taken Naproxen since then, I had taken it prior to that, but these were the only times I had ever taken 2 in 2 day's time. Without drinking alcohol.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:26 PM

9,216 posts, read 20,231,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Just wondering how long most would let back pain go before seeking medical help?

A week ago I tripped coming downstairs and reached out to catch myself to prevent a fall, I guess I pulled a muscle. I had no pain when if first happened but when I woke up the next morning I was in pain. Still in pain, taking Aleve, using a heating pad, resting but still trying to keep active. I have never hurt my back before so just wondering about recovery time for a pulled muscle and is there something else I should be doing to help the recovery along.
Where exactly is your back hurting? I ask because I had something similar happen & did not get medical attention until it was too late. Mine was below my waist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness