U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 AM

16,494 posts, read 20,037,553 times

Advertisements

I finally have a great insurance plan this year, which will pay for just about any kind of test I desire, but I'm terrified of what the tests will reveal, being I've avoided Dr.'s and tests like the plague all along. I'm even too chicken to have my blood pressure taken!

One part of me is curious, the other part says: ignorance is bliss!

Being I'm a panicky type of individual, I'm just fearful that when the Dr. sits down and I notice a too-serious look on his face, or he opens up the conversation with: First the good news! I'll run out the door like my pants are on fire, not wanting to hear the bad news.

Fearful the news is bad enough, I could imagine myself doing all kinds of crazy things!

Any others who just won't have an MRI, Catscan, simple xrays or any other tests for fear of how they're going to react if the news is bad enough?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 AM

523 posts, read 3,284,263 times
there is no point doing tests for the sake of tests, however if you are in an "at risk" group, or you have symptoms that need investigating, then hands down, it is better to do the tests than not.

it is entirely normal to be nervous over test results - we all experience this to a lesser or greater degree...but think of it this way (and you already know this) - if you are getting symptoms and you bury your head in the sand, those symptoms could develop into an untreatable condition, which could potentially have been easily treatable had it been diagnosed earlier with whatever test.

the other thing to consider is that most tests dont show an abnormality - by avoiding the test you are exposing yourself to a whole load of worry and anxiety over your health which could probably easily have been removed by a quick investigation.

i know being rational isnt always that simple, but denial is the worst possible option.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,230,266 times
Knolage is power! Many things, if caught early can be stopped in it's tracks where if neglected, could kill you! I would rather know early to save me and my family much pain and suffering years down the road.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,568,423 times
It's not about tests for the sake of tests, but obviously you need a complete physical to go over the basics. Bloodwork and whatever the Dr. feels is appropriate for your medical history.
A poster on another forum said recently, bad news doesn't get better with age. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness