U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,503,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
to the OP - broken ribs remain painful for a long time, but to your question as to whether your fiance could have done more damage, the only thing you really need to be concerned about is any shortness of breath - and i dont mean difficulty breathing because it hurts, i mean feeling short on air - one of the complications of rib fracture is pneumothorax.

im pretty sure he'd know about it if he had one.
Almost definitely he would!

But it is something that you need to be aware of as a possible complication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,979,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
to the OP - broken ribs remain painful for a long time, but to your question as to whether your fiance could have done more damage, the only thing you really need to be concerned about is any shortness of breath - and i dont mean difficulty breathing because it hurts, i mean feeling short on air - one of the complications of rib fracture is pneumothorax.

im pretty sure he'd know about it if he had one.
Good to know. One of the side effects of his pain meds are shortness of breath too. I have noticed that he's been breathing loudly, but he says it's because when he's sitting/laying and moves he has sharp pain. So I guess that's normal.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM

9,286 posts, read 16,132,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I just sneezed three times in a row and the pain was so bad that I would much rather someone stomp on my balls or smash my big toe with a hammer, broken ribs suck.

busta

yes they do..... been there and done that myself.....

Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Good to know. One of the side effects of his pain meds are shortness of breath too. I have noticed that he's been breathing loudly, but he says it's because when he's sitting/laying and moves he has sharp pain. So I guess that's normal.
What is he taking for pain?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,215,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
That's why I suggested something to "wrap" it; even if it's a light wrap.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's why I suggested something to "wrap" it; even if it's a light wrap.
Again, "wraps" are contraindicated for rib fractures. Even something "light"

Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,215,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Again, "wraps" are contraindicated for rib fractures. Even something "light"
Maybe so but it feels better wrapped then not. I had a fracture in the back left side; hurt to breathe; sneezing was the pits. Having something around it helped.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,979,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
What is he taking for pain?
They gave him tylenol w/ codeine.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,504,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Maybe so but it feels better wrapped then not. I had a fracture in the back left side; hurt to breathe; sneezing was the pits. Having something around it helped.
Whether it "feels better" or not, you are giving people advice that is potentially harmful.

No healthcare provider would endorse "wrapping"

Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 AM

523 posts, read 3,281,595 times
tylenol & codeine should not cause shortness of breath - codeine, like all opiates, can cause respiratory depression when taken in high doses, but if he sticks to the label, this shouldnt be an issue for your fiance.

they would have done a chest x-ray at the time he originally presented, which would have shown any pneumothorax present - clearly there was none, although they can sometimes occur later. in the unlikely event he does get one, he will experience fairly sudden shortness of breath, which will not be possible to ignore.

i think the main challenge he faces will be controlling the pain which is inevitable for quite some weeks after such an injury, especially if he is usually fit and active, which it sounds like he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness