U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 AM

8,007 posts, read 5,293,755 times

Advertisements

As a former EMT*, I can suggest you help him tape it up. No girdle or wraps all the way around, just a couple of layers of 2" wide tape right over the broken rib, at least 6" past the break on each side. Leave it on until it falls of, should take at least 6 weeks to stabilize. That is what the doctor should have done, but few doctors know how to deal with trauma.
* no longer certified, so I can give out free advice ;-) "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,502,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
They gave him tylenol w/ codeine.

Maybe speak to your Doc about taking a non-steroidal pain killer like Ibuprofen or Voltaren as well as what he's already taking or instead of the codeine.

I am pretty sure that something to help with the inflamation of the tissues will help, and think Non steroidals are recommended for # ribs -UNLESS HE HAS ANY REAL CONTRAINDICATIONS.

I've had 2 lots of abdo surgery and the combination of low dose codeine/acetaminophen and Voltaren and after a few days ibuprofen instead was amazing as pain relief.
He may even be able to cut out the codeine if he takes voltaren.
Sometimes wonder what thee Doctors are thinking about when they prescribe analgesia
I wouldn't recommend taping either.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Here's a fairly good info page
Fractured Rib

See particularly near the botton re not taping and breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia.

Also this one-gives a little more info re breathing etc

http://mmm.moody.edu/genmoody/Media/MediaLibrary/Rib%20Fracture.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,979,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
i think the main challenge he faces will be controlling the pain which is inevitable for quite some weeks after such an injury, especially if he is usually fit and active, which it sounds like he is.
This is definitely the hardest thing. They said no contact sports for 6 weeks! He is so mopey about not being able to play hockey

Thanks, What'sthenews for the links! I'll check them out.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
This is definitely the hardest thing. They said no contact sports for 6 weeks! He is so mopey about not being able to play hockey

You're welcome!

And adequate pain relief is very important, otherwise he won't breathe deeply and will try and avoid coughing and moving around.

I always remember way way back to my RN training

"Pain is what the patient says it is"
LOL-I think I have a fairly low pain threshold so maybe that's why I remember it so well

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,127,016 times
If he broke an isolated rib I think the worst he could have done is dislocated it a little bit and created a small hematoma. But there is really no treatment for that. If he develops severe shortness of breath at any point he should go to the ER because he might have punctured the outer lung lining with the shard of the rib. But most likely he just pinched an intercostal nerve with that twisting and sneezing. He should definitely take it easy.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,140,928 times
Quote:

6 weeks may not be enough. Broke my ribs in a water skiing accident. There is no way I could have played sports for a few months. But perhaps he will heal fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness