U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times

Advertisements

According to your first post, you only used lemon juice a few times and didn't find any immediate success. Today's post is the first time you even -mentioned- that you tried sunblock at all - and even after people suggested sunblock and sunscreen, you focused ONLY on the possibility of using lemon juice, and didn't mention any attempt at using sunscreen.

Your first post was earlier this month. You say in that post that you've experienced this darkened skin color for the past five years.

It sounds like you want an immediate response to change something that you've experienced for many years. Sort of like "I woke up after overeating for 10 years to discover that I am 100 pounds overweight. Tell me how to lose 100 pounds by next week, when I have a date."

Short answer: Not gonna happen.

Long answer: patience, grasshopper, and use sunscreen, and give it a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Here is what I have learned from living near a beach and getting some bad burns. Also, experiences of friends.

A bad burn/tan will cause the skin to show some discoloration for the following year. It may take about two years WITHOUT ADDITIONAL EXPOSURE to fade completly.

So, if you keep sticking your arm out the window, it will probably never fade.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
so why do I keep hearing that lemon juice is good for it? the advice I keep getting is to use lemon juice
And from whom do you keep getting this advice? If it isn't a dermatologist, it's worthless. See the doc.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM

573 posts, read 1,636,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
According to your first post, you only used lemon juice a few times and didn't find any immediate success. Today's post is the first time you even -mentioned- that you tried sunblock at all - and even after people suggested sunblock and sunscreen, you focused ONLY on the possibility of using lemon juice, and didn't mention any attempt at using sunscreen.

Your first post was earlier this month. You say in that post that you've experienced this darkened skin color for the past five years.

It sounds like you want an immediate response to change something that you've experienced for many years. Sort of like "I woke up after overeating for 10 years to discover that I am 100 pounds overweight. Tell me how to lose 100 pounds by next week, when I have a date."

Short answer: Not gonna happen.

Long answer: patience, grasshopper, and use sunscreen, and give it a year.
I posted the first time in hopes there would be other answers to get rid of it faster, I think by doing it for 6 months I would start seeing results, I didn't use sunblock for 6 months every day, maybe every other day the best, but I don't even get exposure to a lot of sun, and 1 year is not what I'm looking for, the dermatologist would be able to see it in person, tell me the most effective way to get rid of it, either cream or a more natural way to get rid of it, how long it will take, and I can go there for check ups to see if there is any improvements

Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Go ahead and see the doctor. Or just send me $50 to hear the same thing: It will fade, it is melanin, produced by your own body, and if you keep it covered with NO EXPOSURE to the sun at all, it will go away on its own after a year or so.

I don't know why you posted asking for advice, if you weren't prepared to listen to any of it.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,272,866 times
I would like to encourage everyone who has had any sun exposure (thats' all of us) to visit a Dermatologist for a Body Exam. It doesn't matter what our skin color is or if we tan. No one is immune to the possibility of getting Skin Cancer. Even the smallest spot can turn out to be Cancer.....Why take the chance?
About two weeks ago I went in for my 4 month exam. I told my Doctor about a new (1-2 months) slightly raised area (about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser) on my Left Cheek near my ear. She took a biopsy and it was Basal Cell Carcinoma. On Tuesday I had surgery. This was my 4th cancer and my 4th surgery. To insure it was all gone I ended up with a 1 1/2 to 2" verticle incision. (I had MOHS Surgery which I highly suggest) This incision runs the entire length of my ear along my cheek. It looks as if the a portion of my ear had to be sewn on. We caught it early and I'll have another scar with another story.
The worst part of my visit was when I heard that a young man in his early 40's had to have his entire nose removed earlier in the day. He had an area on his nose that he ignored (as far an exam / treatment) for years. If he would have sought treatment he would still have his nose. Imagine having your entire nose removed with nothing but a hole in your face. Hopefully a Plastic Surgeon can reconstruct a new nose. If not he will have to wear a prosthetic.
Wear your Sunscreen DAILY and make an appointment.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM

21,481 posts, read 26,078,274 times
What wellguy said.

And stay out of tanning beds!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I am currently treating areas of my face with Cerac, a chemotherapy cream. I had a persistent precancerous spot that came back twice after freezing. This stuff attacks and destroys sun-damaged cells while sparing healthy cells. It will take care of future problems on my face before they develop. It is a painful and disfiguring treatment but when the month is over, your face starts to heal and becomes normal looking in about 2 weeks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness