Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,499 times

Advertisements

I wear long sleeve shirts for a very long time, 5 years, and I used to drive so my left hand was sticking out a lot and I have a tan so dark compared to the rest of my arm and my other hand also has a tan, just not as dark as the left, but if I wear short sleeve shirts, you will automatically be able to tell that it doesn't look normal. I heard of the lemon technique, only tried it a few times and hasn't really done anything. Is it possible that this tan is going to remain permanently? Is there a safe way to get rid of it faster? I mean, I can probably do this lemon technique for a year and it won't do anything. I don't think I can wait that long, I can but I want to start wearing short sleeves again.

What would this dermatologist tell me to do? I don't want to try something risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
You can't bleach it. The color isn't caused by dye. It's the pigment of your skin, caused by sun damage. That's what a tan IS. It is skin, that has been literally baked by the sun. It will fade by itself eventually, and in the meantime you can prevent it from getting worse by applying sunscreen (SPF15 is enough if most of the exposure is due to driving) to the back of your hand up to under the cuff of your sleeve.

Also, just as an FYI, citrus oils trigger photosynthesis, so rubbing lemon juice on it will make it worse, not better. It attracts the sun to the affected area.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You can't bleach it. The color isn't caused by dye. It's the pigment of your skin, caused by sun damage. That's what a tan IS. It is skin, that has been literally baked by the sun. It will fade by itself eventually, and in the meantime you can prevent it from getting worse by applying sunscreen (SPF15 is enough if most of the exposure is due to driving) to the back of your hand up to under the cuff of your sleeve.

Also, just as an FYI, citrus oils trigger photosynthesis, so rubbing lemon juice on it will make it worse, not better. It attracts the sun to the affected area.

so why do I keep hearing that lemon juice is good for it? the advice I keep getting is to use lemon juice

Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
I wouldn't see a dermatologist for it... easiest solution is to tint your windows or use a window screen... now you can pay me $50 for that advice... like any tan, it takes time to go away, but repeated exposure doesn't help... or you can even use sunblock... etc etc...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
so why do I keep hearing that lemon juice is good for it? the advice I keep getting is to use lemon juice
Because it acts as a bleach. However, it ALSO triggers photosynthesis. So you'd have to apply lemon juice, then rinse it off, then apply sunblock (not sunscreen) or zinc oxide if you plan on exposing yourself to the sun for up to 10 hours after lemon application.

Or, you can just - not waste your time on lemon juice, and use a moderate sunscreen to prevent your skin from getting darker and allow it to heal and return to its natural paler hue.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
Dear OP - just start wearing sunblock on that arm and it will fade in time. Exfoliation will speed the fading. Look for a chemical exfoliant - I like lotions with AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) but any sort of peeling agent should help, including lemon juice. If you use anything to increase skin turnover, it is doubly important to protect that less pigmented skin from further exposure with sunblock.

Quote:
Also, just as an FYI, citrus oils trigger photosynthesis, so rubbing lemon juice on it will make it worse, not better.

Citrus oil can not "trigger photosynthesis" in human skin. Photosynthesis is the specialized metabolic process by which plants convert carbon dioxide into sugars with the help of solar energy. All the lemon juice in the world will not teach human skin this neat trick.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Sorry I meant photosensitivity. Wrong word. Right idea. In summary: (citrus oils + exposure to sun) can make you get a sunburn quicker than (nothing + exposure to sun).

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
That makes a lot more sense!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I wear long sleeve shirts for a very long time, 5 years, and I used to drive so my left hand was sticking out a lot and I have a tan so dark compared to the rest of my arm and my other hand also has a tan, just not as dark as the left, but if I wear short sleeve shirts, you will automatically be able to tell that it doesn't look normal. I heard of the lemon technique, only tried it a few times and hasn't really done anything. Is it possible that this tan is going to remain permanently? Is there a safe way to get rid of it faster? I mean, I can probably do this lemon technique for a year and it won't do anything. I don't think I can wait that long, I can but I want to start wearing short sleeves again.

What would this dermatologist tell me to do? I don't want to try something risky.
No doubt he or she would request that you use suncreen daily. As suggested 15+ spf. I use a sheer 55 spf, not oily at all and its applied to my face, neck, ears, tops of hands, anywhere the sun my try to bite me . It's a daily ritual for me. As a 50 year old Texan, well actually 2/3 Texan and 1/3 Californian I would suggest the same and continue wearing long sleeved shirts. I have had three skin cancers. Two on my face and one on my right ear. Most Folks find that odd since the left ear is exposed to more sun while driving. As stated earlier a good window tint (look at 3M) will lessen your overall sun exposure.
It is extremely rare that I ever wear a short sleeved shirt (unless I know I'll be iside all day) and the tops of my hands are darker, although not much, than my arms.
Remember your skin is your largest organ....... Do everything you can to protect it.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 AM

I'm still going to go because I want a professional advice, I've been trying to get rid of it for 6 months by the lemon and sunblock and it's still dark, it doesn't even look normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness