Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM

25 posts, read 74,210 times

Advertisements

When I was out working today, my feet began to hurt me more than normal, and all the pain was on the tops of my feet, kinda felt like wearing a pair of shoes with the laces tied way too tight...that kinda pain, but my laces obviously werent tied that tight. It was in both feet also, and the more I walked, the pain began to go up into my shin on my right leg, I was literally limping around most of the day! I am a rep for a convenience store so I dont much heavy labor, but I do wear dress shoes all the time, but never really hurt any other time?I looked up foot pain online but most deals with balls and bottom of foot pain and not the top of a foot. The pain was from where the ankle and foot meet all the way down to about the middle of my feet, all pain on top too, bottom of my feet and heel felt fine? Anyone knw what this may be? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
It seems like an Achilles issue which isn't fun, but to be safe, I would make an appointment with a Sports Medicine Doctor ASAP. Don't rely on a Family Doctor or Podiatrist as they are not well versed in Sports Injuries. While you are waiting for your appointment, I would suggest stopping your exercise routine, and practicing the RICE Method.

Rest
Ice
Compression (if you have compression tights, I have found that putting the tightest parts around my feet work sufficiently - otherwise wrap with an ace bandage)
Elevation (elevate feet about your heart)

The great thing about Sports Medicine Doctors is that they focus on getting you back to your training which usually involves changing the exercise a bit or taking a break for a bit. Good Luck! I hope it is something that you caught really early so that your recovery time is not long...

Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I have the same issue with my right foot and have been dealing with it for quite some time. My left foot seems fine. It seems to go up and down with the serverity of pain. Somedays its fine. I finally made an appt this week to see the Podiatrist. I was told sometime ago I had a Neuroma which is an irritation of nerves on the top of the foot. I don't know if that is the issue now. Like you my laces constantly feel so tight or the shoe feels tight. Even though they don't seem to be. The pain sometimes is a burning stinging pain or a throbbing pain. Tired achy only in one foot. Its just the top of the foot is where the discomfort really is. I have flat feet and wear foot orthotics. In some ways the pain has gotten worse since I was fitted again with orthotics. I know icing the foot and taking some Tylenol when you feel the need really helps. Ibuprophen is better since its an anti inflammatory but Im allergic to asprin type products.

Im sorry to hear of your troubles but I have to be honest I was glad to see Im not the only one. I will post what my podiatrist says on Thursday of this week. Perhaps it will give you some insight as to whats going on with your foot.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Don't know how old you are, but it sounds like what I suffer with and it's caused by falling arches. If you're running around in dress shoes that have no arch support, you're ruining your feet. I did it to myself standing in classy shoes all day on a hard cement floor while I ran my business. Too late smart, too soon dead!!! Get some good shoes and see if that helps you out. You can give your feet support and stop the aching pain.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
I had a similar thing happen to me. Saw a podiatrist, had xrays, and was told it was spurs. I was surprised about spurs on the top of the foot, but there it was. Very painful.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Heh I was going to guess bone spurs too. I have one on my instep (that's the part where the OP is describing). It doesn't hurt all the time. And in fact, I can go for months without any discomfort at all. And then I'll be putting my socks on and my finger till brush against that spot, and BOOM - instant pain.

You might also consider the possibility of something causing stress on your instep (fallen arches could be one of a few possibilities).

Massaging the soles of your feet, from toes to heel and back again, can help relieve discomfort after the fact or during breaks. If it doesn't cause sudden pain to do so, also try using your hand to gently flex and compress your toes up and down. If it causes pain to do that, then stop immediately and wait for the doctor to check out your foot.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Ive had neuromas a few years ago, I had 3 of them in each foot! but they were down near the nerves between the toes, and they were causing some serious burning and pain in the balls of my feet, but they injected them with something and havent had any problem with them since, I belive it was something to freeze and kill the neuroma, but i guess it worked. I also have plantar faciatis, which doesnt bother me too often, when it does, I have a stretching exercise i do to relieve that, and works every time, mornings are worse for that! I do wear dress shoes, but have custom orthotics from a poditrist in them, this 'top of foot and shin pain' in fairly recent, but Ive had it pop up on earlier occasions, this time seems much worse though, it rarely causes pain up in my shins, it literally feels as if someone took a ball bat to my shins and ankles??? somweone told me it may be hardening of the arteries, I am 36,and in fairly good health, but i do smoke, have for 25 years, but no other breathing problems or other health problems? If this keeps up, it is going to impair my ability to work, I have been limping the past few days,but Im still workign every day, just not walking as fast! i also tried ice and heat packs, helped for temporary relief, but came right back after it was taken off. I even take methadone for back pain, and it doesnt even stop this pain!! that is amazing as powerful as that drug is!!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have the same issue with my right foot and have been dealing with it for quite some time. My left foot seems fine. It seems to go up and down with the serverity of pain. Somedays its fine. I finally made an appt this week to see the Podiatrist. I was told sometime ago I had a Neuroma which is an irritation of nerves on the top of the foot. I don't know if that is the issue now. Like you my laces constantly feel so tight or the shoe feels tight. Even though they don't seem to be. The pain sometimes is a burning stinging pain or a throbbing pain. Tired achy only in one foot. Its just the top of the foot is where the discomfort really is. I have flat feet and wear foot orthotics. In some ways the pain has gotten worse since I was fitted again with orthotics. I know icing the foot and taking some Tylenol when you feel the need really helps. Ibuprophen is better since its an anti inflammatory but Im allergic to asprin type products.

Im sorry to hear of your troubles but I have to be honest I was glad to see Im not the only one. I will post what my podiatrist says on Thursday of this week. Perhaps it will give you some insight as to whats going on with your foot.
I had my Podiatrist Appt today. He took XRAYS and will go over them next week at my next Appt. He felt my shoes and the orthotics might be the problem. Raising the foot up to much and wearing shoes that do not fit quite right, even though the shoe stores recommended them to me. My foot is now bandaged and Im guessing its to see if Im a candidate for a different type of Orthotic. Believe me Podiatrist always want to fit someone with foot problems with Orthotics. Actually for some patients. Orthotics can and do bring on a whole new set of problems such as in my case. So I have to be careful with that since the cost is ridiculous.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 PM

Actually the orthotics my doctor gave me last year do work OK for me, but without them they really hurt, but these were only $40. I did check into the good feet store and theiurs did get rid of the pain instantly, but felt like a golf ball was under my arch, and these orthotics were over $500. for a 3 stage system, with less and less of an arch once your feet get used to them, but I found cutting up some old insoles and taping them into my shoes in the arch area did the exact same thing, you just have to experiment with how many and what size to put in. it does take some pain in my feet away, but after a long day, it starts to hurt in the arch, this is separate from my top of foot and shin pain though. I have always worn good shoes too, mostly new balance when I was younger and now I have good dress shoes, but theres not much cushion in any dress shoe anyway! I think as I get older, my feet will cause me more and more problems and likely to limit what jobs i can do, luckily I have a 'corporate job' and not to much pyhsical labor, but still have to walk around, and there are days when I am literally limping at work!!! and Im only 36 yrs old!! My feet never bothered me when i was younger and I actually did ALOT of walking in my teen years and early 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness