Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
What are "chiggers?"

(I don't think we have them in New England...)
You don't want to even know.... LOL...but the itching is gone. I have actually been using bath and Body Works Aromatherapy line...Eucalyptis and Spearmint lotion on my legs everyday as it is, and it has given it a cooling and soothing effect. So, this all happened on Fri middle of the night, and only everey once in a while do i get an itch.... ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,311 times
Chiggers!!!!

Bringing up an old thread of the same problematic mites/chiggers that can still invade a person body. I have this itchy blotchy spots/bumps on various parts of my body, I went to the Dr. & was told I have mites or Chiggers. Never had them before, was told I need to spread over my whole body a prescription cream from head to the bottom of my feet, leave it on for at least 8 hours then completely wash it off, also have to take an oral prescription pill for vaginal yeast. Doing all this, then I wait it out to see if I get any relief. I just want to jump out of my skin, I feel itchy all over. Anyone else ever have Chiggers & had to cover their whole body with a cream for several hours then wash it all off? If so, did you get any relief? When the Dr. told me what I had, I'm thinking how in the world did I get Chiggers.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
Chiggers!!!!

Bringing up an old thread of the same problematic mites/chiggers that can still invade a person body. I have this itchy blotchy spots/bumps on various parts of my body, I went to the Dr. & was told I have mites or Chiggers. Never had them before, was told I need to spread over my whole body a prescription cream from head to the bottom of my feet, leave it on for at least 8 hours then completely wash it off, also have to take an oral prescription pill for vaginal yeast. Doing all this, then I wait it out to see if I get any relief. I just want to jump out of my skin, I feel itchy all over. Anyone else ever have Chiggers & had to cover their whole body with a cream for several hours then wash it all off? If so, did you get any relief? When the Dr. told me what I had, I'm thinking how in the world did I get Chiggers.

We have chiggers in the south; they usually come out late afternoon and are in the grass all the time except winter, they don't fly real high, that is why ankles etc., wrists if you are gardening etc. Anywho ... they get under your skin and the itching is from their sucking/biting under the skin. You should be able to see tiny red spots where they are; they live on fluid. Itch like crazy!

Believe it or not, we have had the best luck with putting "White Out" over the spots which smothers them. I believe you can do a Google search for more hints if that is what they are.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Chiggers!!!!

There are lots of different kinds of arachnid mites, I can guarantee you that you did not encounter any chiggers in Michigan in January. Their only habitat is outdoor vegetation in summer in southern states. Some mites live indoors in old upholstered furniture, for example, where one can be exposed to them in northern winters indoors.

We had a thrift shop sofa in our house for years (in Michigan, as a matter of fact), and one day my wive poked her hand down into the upholstery and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. Within less than a minute, she felt a crawly sensation on her hand, and she wound up with a mite infestation all up her arm. The mites had been living on that paper for years, waiting patiently for a warm-blooded mammal to feast on.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,311 times
I have to say now, that it was not chiggers the Dr. guessed I had, she did say mites,, also SCABBIES, instead of chiggers like I had originally assumed she was speaking of, since I googled mites, I thought she was speaking of chiggers, not so. It still drives me nuts.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
I have to say now, that it was not chiggers the Dr. guessed I had, she did say mites,, also SCABBIES, instead of chiggers like I had originally assumed she was speaking of, since I googled mites, I thought she was speaking of chiggers, not so. It still drives me nuts.
It sounds like scabies. Welcome to the club. I had to smear on the nasty, white, pasty cream and leave it on for 12 hours. Then I had to shower it off and apply it again. Be sure to treat your bed linens so that you don't have to do this a second time. I was a teen at the time but remember the allergist telling my mother to spray my mattress with Raid, vac it and wash all of the linens in hot water, throw them in a hot dryer - twice. All of my clothes had to be washed multiple time or dry cleaned. She (we) also had to treat the upholstered furniture in the living room.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks for the info...chigger bites are horrible!

My grandfather used this on me when I was a kid with a huge affected area around one chigger bite (this was only to help itching). A piece of raw bacon, () rub on site, then using table salt, make a mix of fatty oil/salt and then rub on the site. It felt so good to help relieve that itch...but probably no real help at all.

I would not do that today...I'd use a topical antihistamine cream on the site and then oral antihistamines-----likely the best way to calm down the swelling and itch....plus an OTC pain reliever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
"Chigger Myths:
Chiggers do not bore into and live inside of our skin. Applying finger nail polish or other household chemicals to red bumps on our skin does not help. They will not burrow deep inside our body and eventually die. By the time your severe itching problem sets in, the chigger is nowhere in sight. Trying to smother a chigger with various products is a total waste of your time and might actually cause more problems.
Chiggers do not drink blood. They are red because that is their color. Chiggers drink liquefied skin cells. Ticks feed on blood; chiggers do not.

A chigger or red bug is not an adult bug. It is an immature larvae.

These pests are not insects; they are mites.

That tiny hole or red bump on your skin is not where chiggers lay eggs. A chigger is a baby, a harvest mite larvae. Only the adult harvest mite lays eggs."

Oh Robyn! I feel your pain! While I have had chiggers many many many times, I have yet to find a remedy. We have used everything from polish to kerosene (don't ask we're from the country lol). Oatmeal baths and antihistamines might be your best bet or some of fiddle's ideas. Sorry dear!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
If it is a bug and it crawls at all, it will visit you hubby. He has some type of bite almost year around, with chiggfers being the worst. Never has he found anything that really works. thank goodness it is winter now, so he is itch free most of the time. Yes, they live in grass, but in his case, they seem to be in the rock driveway, leading to the back of our lot even more. We had to get rid of our wonderful grill and go with a small, electric one and an electric smoker that fit on our tiny little patio off our bedroom cause he couldn't even grill anymore. No meat or fish, no matter how good is worth what he went through to prepare..

Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If it is a bug and it crawls at all, it will visit you hubby. He has some type of bite almost year around, with chiggfers being the worst. Never has he found anything that really works. thank goodness it is winter now, so he is itch free most of the time. Yes, they live in grass, but in his case, they seem to be in the rock driveway, leading to the back of our lot even more. We had to get rid of our wonderful grill and go with a small, electric one and an electric smoker that fit on our tiny little patio off our bedroom cause he couldn't even grill anymore. No meat or fish, no matter how good is worth what he went through to prepare..
There is an effective spray that will reduce to near-zero a chigger population on your lawn. I've quit worrying about chiggers, when I discovered that dusting my socks, shoes and pantlegs with elemental sulfur powder is sure-fire. I tie up about a half a cup of sulfur powder in an old sock and keep it in my car, to dust my lower extremities with when I need to get out in chigger country. Chiggers won't go near sulfur. Buy it at the pharmacy, couple dollars a pound, which is enough for a decade.

Missouri is the epicenter of arachnids. Chiggers, ticks, spiders.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
If you know you've been exposed to chiggers, apply hand sanitizer gel to the exposed area as quickly as possible - it prevents them from burrowing in! It also helps a little with the itching if you've missed a few, or got there with the sanitizer too late.

I've kept hand sanitizer nearby anytime I know I'll be where chiggers hang out (and also keep it in my car for unexpected chigger encounters), and haven't had a bite in over two years, despite ample exposure. I don't know any scientific reasons why this works, but it surely works for me, and the brand doesn't seem to make any difference in the effectiveness. Perhaps the alcohol content knocks 'em out??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness