U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,286,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I was diagnosed in January and started synthroid soon after. I'm on 50 mg a day so far, but were still tweaking my dose.
Yup, it may be a long road!

I'm hoping that my next blood tests show that I'm stable...but as of now they are still tweaking my dose. I have been going for bloodwork every 6 weeks and we are still not at a maintenance dose yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Yeah, I'm fat. Doctor's orders.He told me to watch my weight and I've got it out there where I can watch it.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,962,607 times
Nope. 5'-9", 150 lbs.

Last edited by dfour; 03-09-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing is FACT.....a lot of "Baby Boomers" have extra weight on them! Wife and I, early 60's, could lose 20 to 30 pounds. Actually, I thought I was pretty heavy until I looked at a group photo from my Class Reunion last year......quite a bit of gray hair and weight! Wife and I were unable to go. I started noticing weight gain (and was told about it) when I turned 49. Surgeries that restrict some exercising will reflect in weight gain. I've had a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery and my wife has had a couple of surgeries as well.
We try to eat right, but some foods are just too darn good to say "goodbye" to. We get most of our exercise in the summer using a power boat and doing a few other recreational things.
One thing we have noticed, a LOT of heavy-to-obese people go to Buffet's on Friday/Saturday nights! It is really sort of shocking. Just think how to much weight can affect a person's back, knees and ankles.
Yeah, I"m a baby boomer and I am too heavy but hey, 20 lbs overweight is the new normal, right? Besides, there are a lot of younger people who are much heavier than I am--I went out with a group of 30 somethings the other night and all of the women were bigger than me, and some were quite a lot bigger. All of my extra weight goes around the waistline though, so I really need to get it off.

We have a Korean student who is 5'4" and about 100 lbs. Or she was until she got here. We never keep soda in the house and really don't eat many chips or other junk foods--our junk food is maybe graham crackers. She is shocked by how little we eat, b/c they eat about every 2 hours there. She is always hungry, packs down the food, and she's gained some weight--maybe 5 lbs. I really would hate to send her home with a weight problem.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,678,000 times
Yeah, I feel fat today

Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM

124 posts, read 144,789 times
YES, I am fat. Forty pounds overweight. Just joined the Biggest Losers Club at the Rec Center. They really motivated me to start exercising.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM

532 posts, read 875,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
No, my body fat percentage is less than 5%, as confirmed by doctors.
That's actually excessively low for non-bodybuilders, isn't it?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,943,481 times
Default Body fat as related to health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
That's actually excessively low for non-bodybuilders, isn't it?
Five percent bodyfat is borderline unhealthy. A small amount of fat is needed for two main purposes: vitamin storage and insulation. However, low bodyfat is a semi-guarantee against getting diabetes, so that would be the upside. I wish I had the problem of increasing my bodyfat slightly from 5%.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
I keep medical stats on myself and I found out that I weighed 222 one year ago this month (March). I weighed myself and I'm 233 now. Within about a year I gained 10 pounds......guess that isn't too bad for my age bracket, limitations on exercise from surgeries and not totally eating healthy. I'm a Diabetic II, so I really have had to watch the glucose levels and some things I eat/drink, like "no sugar added" stuff and Spenda not sugar.
What I truely get amazed/shocked at are people who know they are really heavy (obese) and just seem not to care about it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
I need to lose about 80 pounds. I had lost 30 and wondered for the past few months why I literally had NO energy to exercise as much as I used to. Then I was diagnosed with cancer and as a result am severely anemic.

I've been told to expect to gain another 30+ pounds over the next 8 months of treatment because of steroids and "eating with cravings" (since most of the time I won't want to eat at all, I need to eat whatever I can force myself to eat). Joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness