U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM

3,409 posts, read 3,839,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
Nope. 5'-9", 150 lbs.
Whew, are you a man? That's NOT fat at all. That's pretty skinny really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,379,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Just wondering. There is so much talk these days about how fat Americans are becoming. Well, do you consider yourself fat? Are you happy with your weight? What are you doing to change it?
Yep. Fat. Unhappy with it. Tried to do all the healthy recommendations and IT WON'T COME OFF. Next step- endocrinologist.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,799,764 times
No, not fat. 5'3" and 115. I workout 6 days a week for 45-75 min daily. Back when I worked out 3-4 days a week (and did mainly cardio) I felt like I had 5 lbs to lose. But now that I have been working out 6 days a week for many years and doing 70% weights and 30% cardio I feel and look very fit and am happy with my body, but of course always striving to run a little faster or lift a little more. Never get complacent, it takes work people!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
Small frame.

Added a picture in my profile. I really like doing cardio workouts at the gym. I think I look good for 46. Too skinny??? Feel free to comment, I can take it.

I do need to lift a little more, but I'm more into heart health than being muscular.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
For real. Female here. But I'm 5'9", and when I weighed 150, I was SMOKIN' hot.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,416,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
For real. Female here. But I'm 5'9", and when I weighed 150, I was SMOKIN' hot.
Huh! I'm 5'3" and would be happy to see 150 again. That's only 10 lbs from here though, so I'm going for it--losing 10 lbs would get rid of most of my muffin top.

One thing I wanted to add to this discussion though is that when we traveled around the world about 4 years ago, most of the women my age averaged about the weight I am now. Many Australian and European women were about 30 lbs overweight. What you didn't see were the extremely obese people that you see here in the states and you didn't see people in the stores that were too fat to walk. In Oz though, there were sharps containers in the campground bathrooms for the diabetics, so they're catching up to us.

The Asian women were thinner of course, but it takes less weight to make them unhealthy since they're so small to begin with and I was told that diabetes is getting to be a big problem there too. An interesting thing about that: a young man told me that when everyone switched from bicycle transport to motorbike transport, that's when diabetes started becoming a noticeable problem.

And DFOR: you look great. Wow--46? Keep doing what you're doing man.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM

610 posts, read 1,096,817 times
A guy at 150 lbs is a boy!
Alright just joking but seriously how is there any room for fat on any normal length guy at 150 lbs? If I were to go down to 180 my fat% would have to be <8% which would make me pretty darned ripped. I was 215 lbs 5 seconds ago, but then again I've gained the last 10-13 lbs these last 8 weeks since I can't work out because of an open surgery wound.
But i mean I think i can count on taking off 15~lbs before summer and 25~ till the end of it without too much hustle, except for the last 5 lbs, since hte BF% starts getting way low then... Just 2 or so more weeks of downtime to go and I can finally start exercising hard again.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Huh! I'm 5'3" and would be happy to see 150 again. That's only 10 lbs from here though, so I'm going for it--losing 10 lbs would get rid of most of my muffin top.

One thing I wanted to add to this discussion though is that when we traveled around the world about 4 years ago, most of the women my age averaged about the weight I am now. Many Australian and European women were about 30 lbs overweight. What you didn't see were the extremely obese people that you see here in the states and you didn't see people in the stores that were too fat to walk. In Oz though, there were sharps containers in the campground bathrooms for the diabetics, so they're catching up to us.

The Asian women were thinner of course, but it takes less weight to make them unhealthy since they're so small to begin with and I was told that diabetes is getting to be a big problem there too. An interesting thing about that: a young man told me that when everyone switched from bicycle transport to motorbike transport, that's when diabetes started becoming a noticeable problem.

And DFOR: you look great. Wow--46? Keep doing what you're doing man.
Don't I know! I'd be thrilled with 180 again.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,784,877 times
am i fat: ABSOLUTLY
do i like it: NO
what am i doing about it:
well i tried alot of things, nothing worked, then other health concenrns forced a drastic desicions. i had gastic bypass 6 months ago.
combined with a drastic change in diet (that includes actually eating...) and excersize 7 days a week of some form (i do cardio and resistance mon-weds-fris, i do water areobics tues-thurs, swim a minimum of 1 mile on sundays, + random swimming through the week...
i also walk the dogs every day 2 miles a day.

so far ive lost 100lbs...
ive got another 58lbs to go to put me at the top of the healthy bmi range, and 68lbs to go to reach my personal goal.

i was never active to begin with, but now i have a tool to help me get to where i need to be for my health.

as a side note, im not american, i was born and raised in the UK and now live in the USA.
not that i think that has anything to do with anything...just that i dont think its simply 'an american thing'

Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,907,406 times
Yes. And I used to be in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness