U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,767,456 times

Advertisements

I went to see my doctor today due to some issue I have been having. She is testing me for PCOS due to numerous symptoms and 10 years of infertility. I should have the results in a few days. She also told me next month she would like to start me on a fertility drug similar to Clomid (I have taken that previously with no results) starting next month in order to prep for IUI.

Anyone have any experiences with any of this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

21,489 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I went to see my doctor today due to some issue I have been having. She is testing me for PCOS due to numerous symptoms and 10 years of infertility. I should have the results in a few days. She also told me next month she would like to start me on a fertility drug similar to Clomid (I have taken that previously with no results) starting next month in order to prep for IUI.

How old are you?

What are your symptoms? Have you (and your husband) been tested for other potential causes of infertility?

What is the name of the drug she recommended?

How long did you take the Clomid? What dose?

We need more info!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,771,355 times
cant help on the clomid or iui...

but i can tell you PCOS (i was diagnosed at 11) increases miscarraige risk by 300%
as well as increasing your risk for gestational diabetes
theres also an incresed risk for high blood pressure and premature birth...

there are extra precautions you would need to take if you have PCOS for a sucessfull pregnancy so thats definatly something to talk to your dr about.
so DEFINALY wait for those results, and get treatment for your pcos is you are BEFORE trying fertility treatments ect...

Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How old are you?

What are your symptoms? Have you (and your husband) been tested for other potential causes of infertility?

What is the name of the drug she recommended?

How long did you take the Clomid? What dose?

We need more info!
I am 30 and have been married for 10 years. We started trying one month after we got married. I have all the symptoms of PCOS. If the results are positive it will be a huge relief to finally have answers. The doctors I had previously never tested me for PCOS. My husband does have a low count due to being diabetic for 27 years so the odds may be stacked against us if I am positive for PCOS.

I do not know the name of the medication as of yet (she didnt tell me, I am suppose to call next month on the first day of my cycle for a prescription). I took clomid for a little over 3 months. We had done IUI twice previously prior to taking Clomid with no success.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 AM

21,489 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
I am 30 and have been married for 10 years. We started trying one month after we got married. I have all the symptoms of PCOS. If the results are positive it will be a huge relief to finally have answers. The doctors I had previously never tested me for PCOS. My husband does have a low count due to being diabetic for 27 years so the odds may be stacked against us if I am positive for PCOS.

I do not know the name of the medication as of yet (she didnt tell me, I am suppose to call next month on the first day of my cycle for a prescription). I took clomid for a little over 3 months. We had done IUI twice previously prior to taking Clomid with no success.
Did you ovulate when you took the Clomid?

Have you had your tubes tested to see if one or both are open?

Are you overweight? If so, losing weight will increase the chances of ovulation with Clomid or similar drugs.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,125,682 times
If you have all the symptoms of PCOS then in all likelyhood you have PCOS as it is a clinical diagnosis. In my opinion it can be quite easy to treat PCOS infertility unless it is complicated by other illnesses. Your doctor probably prescribed Femara? It has shorter acting estrogen antagonist effect so you won't have issues such as a thin endometrial lining and menopause symptoms that you could get with Clomid. Its success rate isn't much better or worse but side effects are generally more tolerable.

The typical infertility workup includes testing for overactive adrenal glands (DHEA-S), thyroid function, high testosterone and LH to confirm PCOS, screening for premature ovarian failure (high FSH), and prolactin levels. A good doctor will also test for things like ureaplasma, HTLV, HIV, and hepatitis as part of the infertility workup and to prepare for IUI. They should also test your husband for infectious diseases since they will be putting his sperm directly into your uterus. You might also want to question if you have had history of endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease (from STDs) which blocks the fallopian tubes, etc. These are things to keep in mind since sometimes there are things other than PCOS at work!

Sometimes they do a dye test through the cervix to see if the uterus could be malformed or the fallopian tubes blocked. I think this should always be done before you start any fertility treatment because otherwise you are just taking all these drugs for no reason and wasting precious time. Most fertility doctors put that off until clomid fails a few times. Seems like you might be due for one?

If you end up having PCOS, you will want your doctor to check for insulin resistance, which they treat with metformin to increase your fertility. If you are overweight you really have to try hard to lose it.

Your husband's low count makes the IUI necessary. Does he have other issues too, like morphology or motility? Does he have a varicocele?

I'd check out PCOS-oriented forums online instead of City Data because there is so much information and support from other women also going through the same treatment cycles as you. You will become an expert. Keep records of everything they have done and that they are doing (dosages, cycles, # follicles developed, etc). This will be valuable for you so you can take charge of your own treatments.

Last edited by miyu; 03-10-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Quote:

I was advised I have PCOS last year.

There is a lot of information out there on it, as Miyu has suggested possibly a PCOS dedicated board is a good idea.

I sometimes visit this site PCOS General

It is hard to deal with, but as you go through the information things start to make so much more sense as to how and why you've been feeling a certain way.

The one thing that I have found interesting is the link to PCOS & insulin resistence - also make sure your thyroid gets checked out too.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
If you do get pregnant, you need to be seeing a high-risk pregnancy doc who is familiar with PCOS.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM

I havent updated this in a bit. I did find out I do have PCOS. I am now in Metformin (even though I am not diabetic) which seems to greatly help my energy level and has greatly decreased my appetite (thankfully I do not have bad side effects at this time). I am also are clomid.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Good for knowing! You can deal with what you know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness