U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 PM

25 posts, read 65,585 times

Advertisements

Ive been reading online that the UK has been using heroin in the pain management field to treat severe pain. as I am in pain management, and have taken many many different types of drugs to relieve my pain, it seemed to me every single pill they give out either comes from or is derived from opium, so I wondered why heroin wasnt used to treat pain and is commonly said to have no medical use, but how is that, when all pain killers are basically made from the same thing? Maybe if the us started using it for this purpose, it may help alot of people out. If the UK sees fit to do it, there is no reason why we shouldnt too, after all, they likely know a bit more than we do when it comes to medicine that is!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
It is used in pain management, the problem is the half life of herion is much longer than other pain meds, and people used to chronic pain will take medication, anticipating the pain, before the half life is done. Thus, overdosing. This happens frequntly with using methadone for pain management as well. Patients don't realize the drug is still in their system, they are used to taking darvocet type pain killers, which metabolize much faster than herion and methadone.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 AM

25 posts, read 65,585 times
I take methadone for my back pain, it got to a point where percocet 15mg werent working, methadone does take the pain away alot longer, but is a nasty drug, I had missed my appt one time last year, due to an insurance problem, and they werent able to refill my methadone until a week late, so I had to suddenly withdrawl (for 7 days) that was pure hell! I have never experienced such misery. Methadones half life is 3-5 days, heroins is actually shorter than methadone, as methadone is synthetic, and it is harder to withdrawl from methadone than heroin too.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
I'm so tired of this! There are so many ppl out there that have serious pain issues every time someone discusses pain meds it they start ranting about addicts. What about all the people out there that live in serious pain every day I'm talking can't get out of bed pain where there is no cure. What happens to these folks because I'm telling you iv lived w pain for 18 yrs still waiting for some hot celebrity to get my disease ( not that I'd wish ic on my worst enemy) so someone will start to give a ****. Because you know unless someone famous gets a disease no one gives two ****s anyway still what happens to those ppl. You make it soo difficult to get pain meds that a lot of ppl choose suicide. How is that fair ? Don't we deserve some semblance of a quality life?? Or must we also pay the price of addicts?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
54 yrs scoliosis lat / bi lat at birth = severe disk degenerations 5 hern disks 2 spinal stenosis, 2 disk fused in C spine then the 1 above the chiropractor fractured then the one above that deg / fractured apart, get stuck, drop to floor electricity fire molten metal coursing down legs / n arms into 3 fingers, lay on floor or 1/2 on 1/2 off bed for 3-4 days at times, keep water juice with in reach, drop- get stuck anywhere can not move 1 inch 1 toe for days on end out of this world constant pain you can not imagine, blow torch, high voltage, fire, electricity red bar piercing trough back..get 70 10 mg Norco a month for last 15 years, keep on setting my suicide date, pain meds not much help anymore, at times suddenly bones crush on nerve fell outside in winter freezing could not move was half in truck 1/2 out fell in to truck stuck on fire blacking out from pain over n over when nerve's pinched/crushed legs wont work, glad to be freezing to death, 20 mg and i can move around for 2-3 hours sometimes, doc was going to stop pain meds, told him when I run out I drink whisky straight to black out get sick pee on self drink more = sick as hell. my boy is 18 now dog's are dead, Need to commit suicide soon due to undertreated chronic constant unrelenting unimaginable stuck to floor for days can not get to bathroom, let alone anywhere, f n need pain meds so I must be a junky addict liar con man, one doc report wrote. I hate doc's so bad I want to hurt some bad, I do not know how I managed to live in hell torture this long for love I guess, I never imagined pain could progress to this level. I will not use pills. tell them b I died from under treated pain like any bas sob cares. good bye cruel hell pain constant torture no life live in beyond pain burning electric shock coursing molten metal hell of no life.. would try anything to be in manageable pain for 1 day. Do not know where to get any drugs, and will not beg any sob doc for anything ever again real mad at doc who did not even notice my severe scoliosis and wrote a full page report saying I was not in pain and was a liar and con man because I could walk that day on 20 mgs prior I had just been on the floor for 4 days peeing on my self trying to go in a bottle and reputedly blacking out from the pain over and over. If your pain has not reached the level of blacking out from pain come too shocked to **** blackout again come too shocked blackout again stuck in place for hours or days don't tell me to just deal with it, I need a blood clot to kill me god please take me before I have to murder myself. mean world would try heroin if I knew where to find some . good fortune to all go with god ... Yes tell them all I died because of undertreated pain I sure they all get a laugh from that esp sob could care less doctors...

Old 05-16-2016, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
i live pain every day for about 15 year got in a car wreck when i was about 25 i had small kids 3 of them they where at the
4,5,11 i found a doctor that i like and he help me whit shot and good pain meds i was all good until D.A. step in where i live D.A. runs doctor here if smoke pot for some else not pain like u can't sleep if smoke u can't have pain pill so my doctor got busted because he care about the people he treat if what u where taking was not work he add i was getting 280 norco and a 168 methadone a month will the our D.A. didn't like that so they took him down and now doctor want to give out pain killer so now u have go fill out paper work just if they want u and when they find out who ur doctor was they will not see u so know i had come down off the meds but try to buy and they go for 5,6 bucks and that like 300 a week because of how much i have to take so i was told that this is way cheaper i don't know i have never done it before but i did also here it work better and u don't take as much of it and i think funny are D.A.making it hard to get pain pill that people are doing other thing so if he has trouble with pain pill what is he ok with the illegal because that what people are turning to so i'm ? should i turn to it and does it really work thinks tigerlilly

Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 PM

2,984 posts, read 1,711,202 times
After reading Undertreated and Tigerlilly's responses, it does make me wonder what is going on in this society.
I am in no pain that I cannot manage myself. I am under no prescriptions whatsoever.

But what about those of us who are?

I seriously doubt the two posters I named are making up those elaborate posts.
Undertreated may not even be alive, if one can read that post that was not parsed...
I hope they are.

We do need to find a way to keep people from pain, or either give them a way to leave this earth without pain.

We love our pets enough to let them leave in dignity. What about us?
I personally think we should treat pain. My Father in Law suffered for several months because the Va refused to prescribe him any pain meds, it took Hospice to step in and help.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
I live in bodywide chronic pain from advancing arthritis. I will not take some of the OA drugs that MD's prescribe, so I manage well enough with what I do. I also take some supps that are pain type, so I search out alternatives for pain. I have a loved one who ended up so addicted to pain meds and she spent a lot of months in rehab. She's doing good now, all those drugs out of her body and managing her life with other protocols. From the pain meds she was taking, she lost her hearing. So she is paying dearly from the pain meds that she was addicted to.

I know that more pain meds can create more pain as they upregulate pain receptors causing more pain.

I just heard that prescription pain meds addiction are epidemic here in Orange County in So. Calif.

I can't imagine other's pain and worked hard to manage mine. I take a supplement for stomach protection as I ended up with an ulcer from a drug years ago for OA issues.

So many are in pain, but for me I've learned to accept as best I can. I also ended up with a mess from hip replacement, so I've had a major set back from that surgery..

All drugs come with side effects and I've learned to find other ways to manage my pain issues. I don't want side effects.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:33 PM

27,492 posts, read 17,642,239 times
I worry about the current backlash against pain meds. I've had some very painful situations (gallstones, pleurisy, pancreatitis, and weird abdominal situations like air in my abdominal cavity, liver biopsy (while awake!!) #painful).

They all required super nice doses of pain meds. That's all past, but I would hate to go through those with the doctor being stingy.

My husband cracked his pelvis (morphine/phentalyne(?)) and had a level 3 torn ACL in his shoulder (right term?!) and was on a lot of pain meds after the accident and 3 months later after surgery. He's in lots of pain now from PT but won't ask for anything.

It's a fine line when they are used for a purpose and for someone to get high. They said I would be addicted after 3 months of demerol, but it was necessary (no withdrawls) and my husband had some trouble coming off 2 years of morphine but he did well.

I hate to see people in pain just because some people abuse meds. It's no way to live.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-17-2016, 09:49 AM

2,581 posts, read 1,382,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I worry about the current backlash against pain meds. I've had some very painful situations (gallstones, pleurisy, pancreatitis, and weird abdominal situations like air in my abdominal cavity, liver biopsy (while awake!!) #painful).

They all required super nice doses of pain meds. That's all past, but I would hate to go through those with the doctor being stingy. . . .

I hate to see people in pain just because some people abuse meds. It's no way to live.

I worry about the backlash too. I've had chronic kidney stones for the last 30 years or so. These required either intravenous morphine in an emergency room or super nice doses of Oxycontin or Percocet at home. Problem was, even tho my urologist has been treating me for years, he cannot simply phone a prescription to my pharmacy, but has to order an xray and then fit me into his schedule that day for a consult, otherwise he can't prescribe what I need. By the time I get through the process and can have a script filled at the drugstore, it can be eight hours after the pain hits -- sometimes so intense that I cannot walk.

As a result, I've started ordering Tramadol over the internet. Not as good for the pain, but it helps to get me over the first few hours until I can get the real thing -- and its available without a prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness