U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 PM

279 posts, read 474,358 times

Advertisements

It was suggested I post this here as well (originally posted in NH forum where I live) so forgive me for any information that is NH-related.
After a lot of dr hopping, I finally found a primary care that agreed to run my hormone panels, bloodwork, etc. The OBGYN I saw in NH in November concurred with former dr's diagnosis of PMDD and said (as all the drs before her did) that checking my hormones etc wasn't necessary.

Turns out it was.. the reason for my extreme fatigue- my Vitamin D level should be at least 32 and it was at 12. Aside from that, my T3 is elevated a notch. When I was last at the Dr, she explained she wanted to treat the Vit D issue first, and to recheck my labs in 6-8 weeks, but said the Vitamin D wouldn't effect the thyroid in any way.

She told me (as she has every appt I've had with her) to go home and "google" my diagnosis. Is it some sort of trend up here to tell patients that? I'm used to Dr's that flat out tell me not to go googling everything- that it will only scare me because the internet contains the "worst of the worst". Just curious...
I originally came to this dr to treat a UTI. If was determined I had a kidney infection, not a UTI, because of my recurrent kidney pain. I went back when I was done my antibiotic complaining the kidney pain wasn't gone. They retested and said the infection was gone and sent me home with a slip to get an xray. I got it. They were supposed to call me with results but I eventually had to call them after a couple days of no word. I never got to speak with the dr... just a nurse, but she said my kidneys are fine and tried to blame my kindey, bladder, and lower back pain on possible constipation. I've never been constipated a dday in my life, but I did what they told me and used Milk of Magnesia over the weekend. It did nothing but make me nauseated.

When I spoke to the nurse, I also asked if there was anything we could do to expedite the thyroid treatment and not wait 6-8 weeks. It's become very clear to me now that my hot flashes, sudden weight loss, and at least 2/3 of the other symptoms About.com, WeMD, etc list as symptoms of hyperthyroid... may be what has caused my problems all the time, and the PMDD would no longer apply (makes sense why none of the treatments for it worked). The dr had agreed when I was there that it was possible and told me in her words "If no one has told you this yet, your case is very severe." She also told me that even though the T3 range was 2.3-4.2 and my level was at 4.3, my symptoms definitely represent hyperthyroid. She spoke about "Subclinical hyperthyroid" explaining that even if my level came back normal next time, many peoples' are in normal range but there symptoms definitely scream hyperthyroid. Yet the nurse tells me on the phone at the end of the week "Nothing's wrong with your thyroid" and explained they plan to do nothing about it because it's borderline. She called me back to say if my kidney pain continues after using milk of magnesia.. to make a followup appt.

Should I really be going back to a primary care dr for the fifth time in two weeks? Are all drs this slow about things up here? I even asked if they would refer me to an endocrinologist twice and they sort of glaze over the question and change the subject. But none of the endos I've called here will take me without a referral. Meanwhile, my kidney pain is getting worse too.

Anyone have an experience like this with dr's in this area or have I just picked another bad one? I'm not trying to blame NH... I'm just truly not sure if this is what I'm going to continually be up against. I've done my research now. I'd told the dr when my symptoms started in Nov 09 that thyroid was my first though but I considered it not possible bc it seemed I had half the symptoms of Hyper and half of Hypo. Asked her if it's possible for thyroid hormones to fluctuate during the month, like along with your menstrual cycle or something. She said no. They don't change, they remain pretty steady and take months to increase by any significant amount. Yet, the research I do online says otherwise and also says some people are both hypo and hyper. At first I thought this dr just couldn't figure out what was wrong with my kidneys, and instead of telling me "I don't know" and referring me to someone that does, the give me the run around. But now, I'm starting to think she doesn't know much at all when she's telling me the complete opposite of what the scientific research shows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 02:03 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,117,384 times
Thyroid levels do fluctuate, but not to the extent where you have too much one day and too little the next. People fall into one range or another; they aren't usually at exactly one specific numerical value without change, even if they're medicated with synthetic thyroid.

Stop self-diagnosing and find a different doctor. And don't be looking for a doctor who will agree with you. That is NOT what you need. You need a doctor who will listen to your concerns and answer your questions, and not send you to google to do your own doctoring.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:12 PM

18,895 posts, read 49,756,471 times
You need a full thyroid panel to be diagnosed correctly and you need an endocrinologist, not a PCP. Even then, my 1st endo missed something that my 2nd endo picked up in 5 min. I had my thyroid ablated and all my problems went away.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM

7,326 posts, read 11,465,753 times
Yes, do see an endocrinologist. And I can't believe a doctor would tell you to google something instead of bothering to explain it herself. The least she could do would be to send you to a specific, reputable website where she knew you'd get good information, instead of randomly clicking on things written by just anyone. Most doctors hate when people do that.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 PM

2,732 posts, read 2,773,376 times
If you have thyroid issues I would first make sure you have enough Iodine in you. Here in the states our diet does not contain enough Iodine in it compared to the Japanese people who eat lots of sea food that is rich in iodine.

Tri-Iodine, Tri iodine :: Quality Nutritional Supplements :: Europharma

Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM

7,326 posts, read 11,465,753 times
Americans may not eat as much iodine as the Japanese, but with the excessive amount of sodium in the American diet it's unlikely many of us are deficient. And too much iodine is just as damaging to the thyroid as too little. I would under no circumstances take iodine supplements. And I believe a lack of iodine would cause hypothyroidism, not hyperthyroidism. But here is where you need to consult a doctor, not the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness