U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure how to describe this and I'm not one to go to a Dr. lightly. I've always had what is considered a goiter/enlarged thyroid - I've been taking Synthroid since forever, had the occasional sonogram and FNA when called for, and no problems.

Lately, like last several months, I've had an "uncomfortable"' feeling at base of my throat, to the point where clothing, sheet at night in bed, etc. touching it is uncomfortable. Feels like there is a "lump" in the base of my throat.

I went to see the Endo. 2 months earlier than my schedule just to get opinion - he says it doesn't feel different but believes my concerns (and when I asked what it could be I saw a fleeting look of concern and he said "Let's see what we can find out") and scheduled me for another sonogram and a barium swallow (that's new). Haven't scheduled yet though because office said they would check to make sure I didn't need a prior authorization and haven't heard yet.

Concerned on another area though - I also take Boniva and a side affect may be esophogeheal (sp?) problems so I'm wondering how one can figure this out? Any thoughts?
I would start taking homepathic Thyroid drops religiously for 2 or three months and see if you can wean yourself off the synthroid and get your thyroid working again (if the synthroid hasn't done too much damage). I'd also talk to a pharmacist to see if the side effects of the synthroid might not be what you have. I'd see a Naturopath to see if there is a natural program you could go on as something you could do at the same time with a view to weaning yourself off the drugs completely.

People need to realize that drugs are dangerous. If they weren't dangerous to your health, you wouldn't have to get a prescription to buy them . I would only take them if I had exhausted every possible natural strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,136 times
This is something that I recently discovered as well. It felt like I was swallowing a pill for the past 3 months. My husband and I were trying to figure out what was going on so we started with the Barium swallow (normal), then the endoscopy (normal) and then I set an appointment with my endocrinologist, I am schedlued for a sonogram on Thursday and am waiting on the blood work results for my thyroid test. There were times that the lump would subside a little when I drank coffee of all things and then one night we made this soy dip and that night I started with heart palpatations, chest pain and the lump in my throat was worse than ever. So we looked at what we changed in the past three months and "BINGO" we started to become vegetarians 3 months ago (eating a lot more soy protein and soy shakes, veggie burgers). I have not had any soy for the past three days and the lump sensation (although still there) not nearly as bad. I thought soy was suppose to be good for you but have now discovered that this is not true. The government has been touting the health benefits of soy because many of them have financial interests/investments in genetically modified soybeans. I dont mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but does anyone here really trust our government when it comes to our health? Crazy thing is most everything has soy in it these days so we are now keeping a strong eye on the ingredients list. One problem we face is that Genetically Modified Soy prodcts are not required to be labeled (by law). So I am not sure if the problem lies with GMO soy or just soy in general. I will keep you posted on my results. Thanks for listening.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmjturner View Post
This is something that I recently discovered as well. It felt like I was swallowing a pill for the past 3 months. My husband and I were trying to figure out what was going on so we started with the Barium swallow (normal), then the endoscopy (normal) and then I set an appointment with my endocrinologist, I am schedlued for a sonogram on Thursday and am waiting on the blood work results for my thyroid test. There were times that the lump would subside a little when I drank coffee of all things and then one night we made this soy dip and that night I started with heart palpatations, chest pain and the lump in my throat was worse than ever. So we looked at what we changed in the past three months and "BINGO" we started to become vegetarians 3 months ago (eating a lot more soy protein and soy shakes, veggie burgers). I have not had any soy for the past three days and the lump sensation (although still there) not nearly as bad. I thought soy was suppose to be good for you but have now discovered that this is not true. The government has been touting the health benefits of soy because many of them have financial interests/investments in genetically modified soybeans. I dont mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but does anyone here really trust our government when it comes to our health? Crazy thing is most everything has soy in it these days so we are now keeping a strong eye on the ingredients list. One problem we face is that Genetically Modified Soy prodcts are not required to be labeled (by law). So I am not sure if the problem lies with GMO soy or just soy in general. I will keep you posted on my results. Thanks for listening.
The problem with so many Americans including western medical professionals is they have no understanding of the effects of the food itself. Food has heating or cooling drying or dampening properties that all experts in Macrobiotics know about. Eating too much of a food with certain properties can cause harm.

The Asians eat soy but in SMALL amounts--- not BOATLOADS of it like some Americans do who hear that it is good for them --and then over do it. Another reason why you have to be ESPECIALLY careful with Soy or any soy based or derivative is that next to corn, it is the most widely and often genetically engineered food. So if you are eating a lot of soy AND it is genetically engineered ON TOP, all I can say is GOOD LUCK.

People need to READ LABELS AND AVOID ALL SOY and CORN products UNLESS they SPECIFICALLY STATE THEY ARE ORGANIC or at minimum GMO FREE. People should start INSISTING their local grocers carry SAFE FOOD that is PROPERLY LABELED.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
When you get older, thyroid problems are pretty natural. It's hard to go through, but it is generally (95%+ in my experience) positive.

You can have lymph and autoimmune problems if things get too far. I have had strep problems where lymph nodes have swollen up in the sides of my throat (including by the thyroid). That is always very painful an annoying, hot beverages and compresses help a lot.

I also knew a person with a very big fondness for alcohol that got swollen lymph's near the sides and base of the throat (TMI time at work). The best thing to do there is to stop consuming for at least two weeks. It goes away after about a week and lets you go back to normal after a few. Hot beverages and a hot compress (like a washcloth or hand warmer on the affected area) help things move.

Always, always, get checked out by a doc of it's concerning. Don't listen to alties and their tin foil hattery. It does more harm then good.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
I know I'm reviving this after quite some time - I ended up going to ER the other night because I found two sites of swelling at the bottom right of my neck (between clavicle and neck? not sure of anatomy) - it is really creepy looking though, like a portion of my neck was becoming Incredible Hulk. After them finding super high BP causing them to do an EKG (which was fine), they did a check X-ray (I'm a smoker..), then a CT scan as the neck muscle was/is so hard they couldn't tell whether it might be a lymph node. Those were all clear, seeing my Rheum. tomorrow - ER Doc. says it muscle spasms.

Swelling has gone down a tiny bit but I have very limited range of movement, I'm taking in the printout that Gimme3 listed... thanks again for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I was poking around the internet looking for the cause of a nagging neck ache and found this and remembered your post. May be worth looking into.

The Sternocleidomastoid Syndrome

from the article
"The pain referral pattern of the SCM includes pain over the cheekbone, in the forehead, on top of the head, in and behind the ear, over the chin, over the SC joint, over the forehead, and deep in the throat. The throat referral is a commonly overlooked cause of sore throat, often mistaken for pharyngitis. The patient will often feel a fullness in the throat, especially upon swallowing, which feels like a partial obstruction."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness