Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 PM

15,109 posts, read 27,560,213 times

Advertisements

Not sure how to describe this and I'm not one to go to a Dr. lightly. I've always had what is considered a goiter/enlarged thyroid - I've been taking Synthroid since forever, had the occasional sonogram and FNA when called for, and no problems.

Lately, like last several months, I've had an "uncomfortable"' feeling at base of my throat, to the point where clothing, sheet at night in bed, etc. touching it is uncomfortable. Feels like there is a "lump" in the base of my throat.

I went to see the Endo. 2 months earlier than my schedule just to get opinion - he says it doesn't feel different but believes my concerns (and when I asked what it could be I saw a fleeting look of concern and he said "Let's see what we can find out") and scheduled me for another sonogram and a barium swallow (that's new). Haven't scheduled yet though because office said they would check to make sure I didn't need a prior authorization and haven't heard yet.

Concerned on another area though - I also take Boniva and a side affect may be esophogeheal (sp?) problems so I'm wondering how one can figure this out? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,912,729 times
I would think that your doctor would get you to stop Boniva immediately due to that side effect. Did it appear after you started Boniva or before? Either way, I would call and leave a message for your doctor tomorrow to get their advice ASAP and if you have any more discomfort, head to the ER so you can get everything checked out in a more thorough way.

Please keep us posted! Keeping you in my thoughts and sending tons of healing ones your way!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,722,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I would think that your doctor would get you to stop Boniva immediately due to that side effect. Did it appear after you started Boniva or before? Either way, I would call and leave a message for your doctor tomorrow to get their advice ASAP and if you have any more discomfort, head to the ER so you can get everything checked out in a more thorough way.

Please keep us posted! Keeping you in my thoughts and sending tons of healing ones your way!
it always perturbs and disturbs me when someone is advised to go to the ER for non-emergency reasons. This in no way constitutes a visit to the ER.

You should schedule the Barium test and sonogram as soon as you can.
Only after having the necessary test done and getting those results will you know the reason for the sensation you're experiencing.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 30,537 times
How long have you been waiting to see if the tests are covered? If it's been more than a week, I would contact my doctor's office to follow up.

I've recently had two episodes, lasting for a few days each, in which I felt like something was stuck in my throat. The first episode was worse than the second. I couldn't inhale deeply without the feeling of something blocking the inhalation. My doctor had me get an echo-cardiogram and a stress test, and both were normal. We think the problem may be a hiatal hernia, and we're investigating that.

Don't wait too long to try to figure this out.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,912,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
it always perturbs and disturbs me when someone is advised to go to the ER for non-emergency reasons. This in no way constitutes a visit to the ER.

You should schedule the Barium test and sonogram as soon as you can.
Only after having the necessary test done and getting those results will you know the reason for the sensation you're experiencing.
I was talking about discomfort. Having a lump in your throat could be dangerous when your breathing could be affected. Either way, a doctor should always be consulted and if they give the go ahead for an ER trip, don't hesitate with it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM

This in no way constitutes a visit to the ER - I was just wondering if anybody else had anything similar. I haven't heard back from the Dr. office yet, I'll call tomorrow to see if they've found out.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,384,469 times
A feeling of a lump in your throat for a woman can be dangerous and can possibly involve the heart. If she is having a allergic reaction she needs to stop medication and only she can decide if a trip to the ER is warranted as she is the one with the reaction. telling someone who has this sensation not to go to the ER is Reckless and dangerous!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,633,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
This in no way constitutes a visit to the ER - I was just wondering if anybody else had anything similar. I haven't heard back from the Dr. office yet, I'll call tomorrow to see if they've found out.
I did, but I never took Boniva. If you're talking about a lump "on" the throat - meaning, it isn't really inside, but more like near the area of...

then yeah I had one. Turned out to be a benign (non-cancerous) tumor on my thyroid. You have two nodes on the thyroid; left and right. They function together, and they function independently. So they took my left node out to get the tumor, and the right one kicked into overtime and took up production for the missing other half. I take a maintenence dose of synthroid just to make sure the remaining node doesn't have to work too hard (which can cause failure, which STILL isn't a big deal since you just have to take a higher dose of synthroid if that happens).

The worst part about it was the needle biopsy. The second-worst part was the terror of wondering if I had cancer. Which - I didn't.

They'll probably have you *not* take your next month's Boniva and test you then, so that this month's has a chance to wear off. Since you already have a history of thyroid trouble (with the goiter) then I'd have to guess this is just another thyroid problem. While surgery is a pain in the neck (hahahaha), the upside is, catching it early enough means they can deal with it without much trouble and you'll be back to your perfect self in no time (with maybe an extra couple mics of meds and an addition to your exercise routine).

Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM

Loved your post Anon, I've had FNA's before as I have nodules also and thankfully none showed anything. Never had the Barium thing before...you might be right on the Boniva, we'll see. thanks everyone for the opinions.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,619,818 times
Several years ago I had the feeling of something stuck in my throat. I could feel it when I swallowed. I did not have any breathing problems or anything else. Just a feeling of something stuck in my throat.

I went to my ENT and he scoped me. He told me he could see the problem and it was caused by stress. I had been under tremendous stress so it made sense. He prescribed anxiety medication for me and it went away immediately. Even years later, I still get this feeling when very stressed and the medication still helps.

I hope you find your answer. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness