Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

My husband is on 18 medications a day. Some once a day, some up to four times a day, some as needed. He keep an empty medicine bottle in our vehicle that's got each of his pills, some more of one kind and some less of the other. I know it's illegal, but other than carrying a box of pill bottles which is just silly, I don't know what else to do. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you know if he can just carry a letter from his doctor with the prescriptions he's on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My husband is on 18 medications a day. Some once a day, some up to four times a day, some as needed. He keep an empty medicine bottle in our vehicle that's got each of his pills, some more of one kind and some less of the other. I know it's illegal, but other than carrying a box of pill bottles which is just silly, I don't know what else to do. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you know if he can just carry a letter from his doctor with the prescriptions he's on?
Yes, it's a very good idea for him to carry a letter from his doctor explaining his meds so some delbert dumbutt cop doesn't mistake them for illegal drugs.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
I have my meds in a four-a-day pill box (I have w-a-y too many meds!). I also just keep a list of my meds, along with dose, Doc's name & phone number. I have never had a problem, even with TSA whne travelling. But then, it is obvious that I am disabled and on meds.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Have you ever questioned why the heck he is on 18 medications a day?

That is a huge amount. There is scant knowledge of the interactions between around 4 different meds let alone 18. Every medication has side effects, is he taking medication to counter the side effects of another?

I would be going along to his Dr with him and asking whether he can get off so many drugs.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Why would this be illegal? If they are his pills, prescribed by his doctor, I am not aware of any law requiring them to be kept in their original packaging. The burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defense. Of course if you are saying that it might be awkward if the police ever search your car, and that you might have to jump through some hoops to avoid being charged with illegal drug possession, that is one thing. But is it really actually illegal?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
I believe the only concern you would have is if you have controlled substances. CS are to be in their original prescription container so if all his meds are regular just keep a list but with the controlled ones they must be in their original container. I also must say that laws vary from state to state but where I'm from CS must be in the original pill container.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I believe the only concern you would have is if you have controlled substances. CS are to be in their original prescription container so if all his meds are regular just keep a list but with the controlled ones they must be in their original container. I also must say that laws vary from state to state but where I'm from CS must be in the original pill container.
Thanks. I wasn't thinking about controlled substances. It's odd how when we hear a word - "medications" in this case - we sometimes think about that word only as we have had experience with it personally and not as it can be applied outside those experiences.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I think a search would only happen if your husband seemed like he was under the influence. Some rx meds one should not drive with. Maybe your husband should talk to his doctor about this concern and get feedback too.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
I have 4 small bottles in my pocket book; each has a prescription label. I don't have medications in the bottles; carry those in a weekly dose container. What I've been thinking of doing is taking the labels off of my last scripts; mounting them on some sort of a card; then laminating it. I was thinking of doing 2 script labels per side.

Your hub can put them on a piece of paper & leave that in the car too.
Some labels are better then others because it has the pill description.

You can also line up the paper part (that you get from the pharmacy) on a scanner & scan & print that.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
This is true. The only ones you have to worry about would be controlled substances. I, personally, would carry the letter rather than risk having the meds at the wrong temperature in the car and losing their effectiveness. Or, I would carry only one of each pill in the car.

I have Klonopin in a Singulair bottle and never give it a second thought. Of course, I carry two only and in my purse. I don't really think most cops would make an issue of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness