U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,941,719 times

Advertisements

My husband's lab tests indicate a bilirubin level of 1.5. (with 1.2 being the upper-most value of the acceptable range).

He takes prescription medication daily for gout (Allopurinol) - which I read can increase Bilirubin levels; but he also has about three alcoholic drinks, three times a week (so that would make about 9 alcoholic drinks a week).

In my ideal world, he would not have any alcohol; but of course, my husband insists that what he has is not much at all and that his elevated bilirubin levels are due to the Allopurinol.

I conceded that this could very well be true - but why put additional strain on the liver with the alcohol when you know you MUST take Allopurinol regardless? Isn't that better to give up alcohol or at least have it very occasionally than regularly?

My question is (which I have addressed to his physician too, but I am not sure when she will respond): how big is 1.5? Is it because of the medication, the alcohol or both? What is the solution?

The last thing in the world I would want him to mess with are diseases of the liver or the pancreas.

Thank you so much for any feedback/advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
Lots of things can elevate bilirubin, and the mechanism depends on if it was direct or indirect bilirubin. I think you would need more info to answer this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness