U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,902,258 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 25yo and I still have an extremely high metabolism. I could eat the fattiest, greasiest food you can think of every hour on the hour everyday and I would not gain any weight. I stopped working out last year and even then working with weights, eating a lot more and drinking protein drinks I still never gain any weight but my strength did greatly improve.

I'm glad I still have a high metabolism but at times it get be really aggravating due to be hungry constantly and not having the time to eat decent food all the time.

What age did yours slow down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,749,601 times
I noticed my metabolism slowed down around age 21-22 when I started having really unhealthy eating and sleeping habits (i.e. eating before sleeping). After I stopped doing that, it picked right back up again.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM

14,810 posts, read 12,760,186 times
33 when I went on birth control pills. This was in 1968. Even after I stopped the BC bills after 3 years, my metabolism never did speed back up again.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM

43,858 posts, read 41,672,756 times
I don't know when it slowed down. I do know at 50 it is gone forever!

Old 03-17-2011, 01:54 PM

15,732 posts, read 15,915,775 times
Hmmm, not sure when it slowed down (more like stopped) but I was probably about 33 or so.

I have hypothyroid...so my metabolism has been pretty darn sluggish for the last 3-4 yrs. I'm on meds now and they are steadily bringing me back up to normal.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,070,979 times
It hasn't. I am a 54 year old woman and I weigh the same as I did in high school, 110.
I don't think that it just automatically slows down, as people think. If you maintain the same muscle mass, your metabolism won't slow down. What does need to happen is eating healthy[a big discussion on that in the exercise forum], aerobic exercise, and strength training. Having muscle keeps you burning calories.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,343,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I'm currently 25yo and I still have an extremely high metabolism. I could eat the fattiest, greasiest food you can think of every hour on the hour everyday and I would not gain any weight. I stopped working out last year and even then working with weights, eating a lot more and drinking protein drinks I still never gain any weight but my strength did greatly improve.

I'm glad I still have a high metabolism but at times it get be really aggravating due to be hungry constantly and not having the time to eat decent food all the time.

What age did yours slow down?
In my late 20's/early 30's. One thing to remember when you're young and feel like you're on top of the world , is that you should try to be reasonably healthy even if your body isn't showing it one way or the other right now. Some people are blessed with a higher metabolism and are very thin or well in shape, but they can STILL have terrible cholesterol, or other health issues where eating a bunch of crap will be a problem, long term. My grandmother has always been skinny as a whip her whole life, and she's always had terrible cholesterol as does one of my friends at work who is on medications to lower it at only 40. She's probably the healthiest "looking" person there. Don't assume it can't happen to you.

I would not try to gain weight unless you were so thin that doctors thought it was unhealthy and advised you to do so. Most of us will naturally tend to gain more easily as we age and for optimum health you should try to keep that to a minimum. That hits some harder than others, and of course some monitor their weight carefully and adjust their diet accordingly so it doesn't outwardly affect them, but most of the time, you slow down a bit as you age.

Occasional splurges are harmless, but I would keep healthy snacks around and not "allow" myself to eat a diet of total crap just because I could... you could be doing more long term damage to the inside of your body than you think.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
In my late 20's/early 30's. One thing to remember when you're young and feel like you're on top of the world , is that you should try to be reasonably healthy even if your body isn't showing it one way or the other right now. Some people are blessed with a higher metabolism and are very thin or well in shape, but they can STILL have terrible cholesterol, or other health issues where eating a bunch of crap will be a problem, long term. My grandmother has always been skinny as a whip her whole life, and she's always had terrible cholesterol as does one of my friends at work who is on medications to lower it at only 40. She's probably the healthiest "looking" person there. Don't assume it can't happen to you.

I would not try to gain weight unless you were so thin that doctors thought it was unhealthy and advised you to do so. Most of us will naturally tend to gain more easily as we age and for optimum health you should try to keep that to a minimum. That hits some harder than others, and of course some monitor their weight carefully and adjust their diet accordingly so it doesn't outwardly affect them, but most of the time, you slow down a bit as you age.

Occasional splurges are harmless, but I would keep healthy snacks around and not "allow" myself to eat a diet of total crap just because I could... you could be doing more long term damage to the inside of your body than you think.
I'm not doing what I said in my OP(eating greasy and fatty foods everyday). I could but I don't. I'm going to start back working out and attempt to gain some body mass. Just tired of being so little. 5'7 @ 130lbs. Really would like to get up to 145lbs-150lbs.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I noticed my metabolism slowed down around age 21-22 when I started having really unhealthy eating and sleeping habits (i.e. eating before sleeping). After I stopped doing that, it picked right back up again.
I do this sometimes. I'll get hungry before bed and instead of just eating a snack I'll cook a whole meal lol. It's hard for me to sleep when I'm hungry.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,135,101 times
30. My entire body chemistry changed the day I turned 30. I immediately gained 100 pounds and I have new aches and pains, and even alleriges, that I never had before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness