U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:23 PM

77 posts, read 67,112 times

Advertisements

controversy around the use of hydrogen peroxide on wounds.

The Mayo Clinic opines that it may irritate damaged tissue- so don't use it!

The AMA believes it may help remove dead tissue and gunk.

I've adopted an agnostic position regarding the efficacy of peroxide on wounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM

21,860 posts, read 26,657,681 times
A hydrosurgery system (Versajet) with and without hydrogen peroxide... - PubMed - NCBI

An abscess is an infected area. the benefit of removing dead, infected tissue seems to outweigh any detrimental effect of the peroxide. The study in the link shows peroxide was of benefit in infected subacute and chronic wounds.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A hydrosurgery system (Versajet) with and without hydrogen peroxide... - PubMed - NCBI

An abscess is an infected area. the benefit of removing dead, infected tissue seems to outweigh any detrimental effect of the peroxide. The study in the link shows peroxide was of benefit in infected subacute and chronic wounds.

That particular study showed benefit when squirted through a Versajet machine. The other studies reached less enthusiastic conclusions- it may be time for a meta-analysis.

There's some evidence that citric acid and honey encourage healing... when simply dabbed on wounds.

Personally, I use peroxide because all the bubbling has convinced me that something good is going on, but I don't use it on our children.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM

13,358 posts, read 11,086,968 times
Funny to see this topic, since yesterday a friend said someone
in a health food store told her to try Malic acid pills...800 mg 2 xs a day.
(Never heard of them..just know apples have malic acid, good for the gallbladder.)
Not only does she have a reduction in her constant boils or
abcesses, whatever she has lanced and removed for 30 years ...but her
very often leg cramps went away!
Amazing.
(She was told her husband should dip a q-tip in h. peroxide to clean!!
I agree it burns the tissue!
But, always follow the instructions, what do I know?)

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Our 7 month puppy had an abscessed paw that was treated with draining, antibiotics (plus probiotics we gave), and "medical grade" honey.

It seemed to work, but we didn't have additional wounded dogs to serve as control subjects.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
I have been on antibotics since July 2nd dr lanced a boil. On july 4th at the time it looked like four boils connected. They cut two holes. it looked like it was heeling. And now they area is huge and really red. What should I do I can't go thru pain of getting it lanced again. I'm worried about mersa. And u can't miss alot of work. Can they put me to sleep in or and cut it all out and give me iv antibiotics. I am diabetic. HELP !!!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:32 PM

21,860 posts, read 26,657,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshara81 View Post
I have been on antibotics since July 2nd dr lanced a boil. On july 4th at the time it looked like four boils connected. They cut two holes. it looked like it was heeling. And now they area is huge and really red. What should I do I can't go thru pain of getting it lanced again. I'm worried about mersa. And u can't miss alot of work. Can they put me to sleep in or and cut it all out and give me iv antibiotics. I am diabetic. HELP !!!
See your doctor as soon as possible. If it is as large as you say, a trip to the ER would be justified. Was a culture done when it was lanced?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
I don't think so. I have bad bad anxiety when it comes to this. They had to give me a pill and a morphine shot to calm my nerves on the forth when they cut it. And I still felt everything cried and screamed. It was so so bad the boil and the pain. I do not have anyone to take me right now. I do have sabb and was going to try that and a h out out bath first. I honestly think they closed to soon. Could I request them put me to sleep and do it so to make sure they got it all or whatever ? Something has got to be done. I missed a week of work could be a parent anything. It was terrible.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
I have a boil that was lanced.and i dont know. If i should take the gauze out and put new or just leave it in thier till tommarow when i see the doctor

Old 09-25-2015, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 944 times
My husband had a boil lanced last Friday..He went back to the Dr. On Wednesday and he opened it more Nd then packed it. He went again this morning and the lump under the boil is still good size and very hard. So they dug in some more and then packed it. He has to go back again in the morning. What happens if the lump under the boil is still large and hard, how long will the let that go and if they did something what would they do to make that lump go down in size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness