U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 81,878 times

Advertisements

I just had two different boils lanced last night, and i want to make sure that i take care of them correctly. I was told to change the bandages twice a day and to apply warm compreses. I want to make sure they go away for good, so any advice would be great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 35,083,510 times
Change the bandages twice a day and apply warm compresses.

Also, there's no guarantee they won't come back. They might, or might not. You might never get another one again in your life. Or you might get new ones somewhere else. Some people are prone to getting them, some aren't. It can be hit or miss.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 81,878 times
so when exactly should i apply warm compresses, and for how long? should i do it in between switching bandages? and thanks for your speedy reply by the way

Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM

21,860 posts, read 26,657,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3leader View Post
so when exactly should i apply warm compresses, and for how long? should i do it in between switching bandages? and thanks for your speedy reply by the way
Where was the boil and how large was it? Was any packing used or a drainage tube placed inside the cavity left after the boil was opened up?

Best bet would be to remove the bandage, clean the area with antibacterial soap, apply the compress for about 15 minutes, then rebandage.

Hopefully, the person who drained it took a culture. That report usually takes about 3 days. Antibiotics are not usually needed for a drainage of a simple boil, but if your doctor prescribed one, take it all. If the culture shows antibiotic resistant staph, an antibiotic is uasually recomened.

If there is packing or a drain, do not try to replace it if it falls out. Packing and drainage tubes are used to encourage healing from the bottom up of the affected area. If the skin incision closes too soon, any remaining infected material gets trapped and the boil comes back.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 39,894 times
Default Lanced boils

I had a boil on my bilking line lanced two days ago. Looks as its healing nicely but, it is still hard around the I cession. Will it stay like that? And what are the steps the boil will go thru whille in the healing process?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM

58 posts, read 175,436 times
Boils can take a while to heal. Make sure it's staying clean but don't moisten it too often - this can cause infection through bacteria growth. Try not to disturb the area too much. Once the skin is healing, you can try Vitamin E oil to help with any scarring. Bio-Oil can also help, but Vit E is cheaper.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 32,836 times
I just had a boil lanced today on my left side bikini line second obe in two years same spot...the dr. Told me to remove the gauze tomorrow n replace it with clean one i have to do it myself he said to clean with saline..there is a hole i can see with gauze in it..how do i clean it and how should i reinsert the piece of gauze tomorrow and should i repeat this again on third day?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yassy1971 View Post
I just had a boil lanced today on my left side bikini line second obe in two years same spot...the dr. Told me to remove the gauze tomorrow n replace it with clean one i have to do it myself he said to clean with saline..there is a hole i can see with gauze in it..how do i clean it and how should i reinsert the piece of gauze tomorrow and should i repeat this again on third day?
You can use hydrogen peroxide to clean it. Pour a little peroxide in a small cup. Remove the old gauze, and use a cotton tip swab to apply the peroxide to the hole. It will fizz a bit, but it does not sting the way alcohol would. You can use tweezers to insert the new piece of gauze if you have some (those can be washed in hot soapy water and rinsed in hot water first. If you have no tweezers, cut the swab part off the Q-tip and use the stem of the swab to guide the gauze into the hole.

It should not hurt, though I am sure the area is a bit tender. If you are a little squeamish it may be easier to get someone else to do it for you.

The idea of the gauze is to keep the opening in the skin open until the drainage stops. You want the abscess to heal from the inside out. You can keep changing the gauze until there is no more drainage.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:39 PM

5,137 posts, read 12,887,688 times
No...do NOT use peroxide...it can damage your tissues and keep you from healing properly!!! Just do what your doctor told you to do. If you don't fully understand, call the doctor's office and let them explain again.

Follow the doctor's directions!!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
No...do NOT use peroxide...it can damage your tissues and keep you from healing properly!!! Just do what your doctor told you to do. If you don't fully understand, call the doctor's office and let them explain again.

Follow the doctor's directions!!!!
The amount of peroxide needed will not "damage your tissues and keep you from healing properly." It actually helps remove any already dead cells in this situation.

My orthopedist instructed me to use it at the site where some hardware used for a wrist fracture (external fixation) had to penetrate through the skin and into the bone.

http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/patien...ondrainage.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness