U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
yea, well some don't act very civilized. I say humans carry more germs and transmittable diseases

kids poop and pee on themselves and it seeps out of their clothes onto everything. I seriously,very seriously doubt a child is going to get bit by a dog in a store but I'm not too certain how safe a dog is around the out of control bratty kids of today.

agree stan4---totally. My animals are clean,clean,clean. They roll over,after being outside, for me to clean their paws each and everytime the re-enter my house. They are bathed regularly and groomed daily. All their vaccinations are up to date.
Not sure I could count on all the above being true for kids.
Agree.
I have seen service dogs at Home depot and Lowe's, and Petsmart. They are well-behaved .

Same cannot be said for kids, running through aisles, tripping elderly people or just in general wreaking havoc. Honestly wonder what on earth happened to anyone's parenting skills....Most dogs I see have better manners.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,422,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I didn't know where else to place this thread on citydata so Health & Wellsness should suffice.

I shop at Safeway here in Portland, Oregon. I would like to ask people's opinon on people putting their dog, in the shopping cart when they shop. To me it is disgusting and unhealthy. It leaves one with a very unappealing feeling, when it comes to putting your food in the cart. A shopping cart is for grocery's and nothing else. The carts are not fitted with a child's seat so the dog is in the area where one puts food items. I like dogs as much as the next person, but not in the store and not in a cart that I put food in. A number of fools in this store, went up to these people and admired their dogs and how cute they were. A rather disrespectul crowd and inconsiderate of other people I think. If anyone is familiar with the rather large percentage of oddballs in this particular city, then perhaps you can understand my disgust.

This store was on the news last year several times, for complaints made about animals in the store. Dogs jumping up on the meat counters and sniffing the packages. Or they were doing their duty in the aisle. People were bringing in rabbits in thier coat pockets and pet snakes and mice in their coat sleeves. Again this city has some very strange residents, the likes of I have never seen elsewhere in the USA.

I complained to the manager then as well as tonight, and just got a "Well we will bleach it down" Like they will know what cart it is. My response was why is this foolishness even allowed. Why does Safeway allow this at this particular location and others in Portland. I don't see it elsewhere in the USA. I don't think many cities or states would allow all these animals in food stores, especially in the cart.

Sorry for the rant but this city and its sicko ways make me sick, and I cant' wait to leave the end of this year. Its one weird thing after another in Portland and this would be on the mild end. When you can't even go to a large chain grocery store for what they are intended for. Shopping for groceries. Not a battle with worthless types over this crap.

Unfortunately this is the only grocery store in this neighborhood. An innercity neighborhood so many of us do not own cars to shop elsewhere.

Thanks.
They allow dogs in grocery stores?! I'm shopping at the wrong stores.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, but why?

And if the service dogs can be there, why not other dogs?

It used to be fine here in the U.S. It's fine in other parts of the world.

Of course, most of us have bigger things to worry about than stupid laws that don't really matter.
Some stores, like small convenience stores allow them here, on a leash.
I have never seen a dog knock over a box of crackers and leave them all over the floor, but I have seen kids do this.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,938,611 times
I've seen just as many ill manner dogs as with children. However given the choice I'd deal with a dog any day.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,422,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Agree.
I have seen service dogs at Home depot and Lowe's, and Petsmart. They are well-behaved .

Same cannot be said for kids, running through aisles, tripping elderly people or just in general wreaking havoc. Honestly wonder what on earth happened to anyone's parenting skills....Most dogs I see have better manners.
Agreed!!

My dogs, while therapy dogs, aren't service dogs, and they've been welcomed into all of the stores you mentioned (Home Depot, Lowes, PetSmart, etc), as well as Nordstrom, Target, Marshalls, Macy's, the Mall, etc.

We were once in a pinch and tried to dash into a Wal-Mart (you know I was desperate if I was giving our Wal-Mart a shot) once with the pups (I typically avoid ours since it's so terrible), yet they insisted we leave our then 2.5lb puppy (just a smidge larger than an apple) in the snowy cold car vs. dashing in real quick with her inside our jacket. Got to love Wal-Mart (hilarious considering our pups are so welcomed at Nordstrom that the employees know the pups' names). That's okay. That was the last time I ever entered that store. We left and drove 20 miles to the nearest Target where they were welcomed with open arms.

For what it's worth, my dogs are now full grown, and even when they were babies they were cleaner than any child I've ever met. I'm just saying...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
I didn't know where else to place this thread on citydata so Health & Wellsness should suffice.

I shop at Safeway here in Portland, Oregon. I would like to ask people's opinon on people putting their dog, in the shopping cart when they shop. ....
With the exception of dogs for those with disabilities, animals do not belong in food store. Period.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
With the exception of dogs for those with disabilities, animals do not belong in food store. Period.

why?

all the foods are sealed except for fruits and veggies. The fruits and veggies that everyone except a dog touches.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
If another shopper puts a human child in a shopping cart, you are at risk of catching about a hundred times as many diseases as you could possibly catch from a dog. There are very few diseases that a human can catch from a mammal of a different species.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,823,020 times
Default Liberalism

Quote:

I shop at Safeway here in Portland, Oregon. I would like to ask people's opinon on people putting their dog, in the shopping cart when they shop. To me it is disgusting and unhealthy. It leaves one with a very unappealing feeling, when it comes to putting your food in the cart. A shopping cart is for grocery's and nothing else. The carts are not fitted with a child's seat so the dog is in the area where one puts food items. I like dogs as much as the next person, but not in the store and not in a cart that I put food in. A number of fools in this store, went up to these people and admired their dogs and how cute they were. A rather disrespectul crowd and inconsiderate of other people I think. If anyone is familiar with the rather large percentage of oddballs in this particular city, then perhaps you can understand my disgust.

This store was on the news last year several times, for complaints made about animals in the store. Dogs jumping up on the meat counters and sniffing the packages. Or they were doing their duty in the aisle. People were bringing in rabbits in thier coat pockets and pet snakes and mice in their coat sleeves. Again this city has some very strange residents, the likes of I have never seen elsewhere in the USA.

I complained to the manager then as well as tonight, and just got a "Well we will bleach it down" Like they will know what cart it is. My response was why is this foolishness even allowed. Why does Safeway allow this at this particular location and others in Portland. I don't see it elsewhere in the USA. I don't think many cities or states would allow all these animals in food stores, especially in the cart.

Sorry for the rant but this city and its sicko ways make me sick, and I cant' wait to leave the end of this year. Its one weird thing after another in Portland and this would be on the mild end. When you can't even go to a large chain grocery store for what they are intended for. Shopping for groceries. Not a battle with worthless types over this crap.

Unfortunately this is the only grocery store in this neighborhood. An innercity neighborhood so many of us do not own cars to shop elsewhere.

Thanks.
I think the above is a product of the region.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:20 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
ever been to Europe? they take their dogs everywhere. Dogs are in stores and even in restaurants. That's just how it is.

I didn't know that since I've never been to Europe. Apparently, they are friendlier with dogs in Europe than they are in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
Every once in awhile my wife and I go into the pet store and look at the dogs and cats they have and when we're in there you will always see someone with thier dog walking around, this bothers me bad because some dogs have fleas are sick and who knows what else. They say its a pet store and you can bring you pets inside.
Bottom line is there dirty and dont belong in a store.They pee on the floor and MAYBE sometime they clean it right away but most of the time it just sits there.
We dont go in the store to much anymore because of that.

You can't judge that someone doesn't keep their dog as clean as a kid. I talk my dog into pet stores and I know my dog is up to date on his shots and flea meds, as well as bathed regularly. I get so many comments of how cute he is and they all want to pet him. He always is looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Folks, no matter what side you are on the point is really moot - it is AGAINST THE LAW for anything other than service animals to be in a grocery store. Period.

I agree with you~! Unless your dog is a service animal he shouldn't be allowed in a store. I know a lady here who does have a service animal and her dog wears a special covering over it and it says something like "don't touch I am working"....something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I have no problem with any (well trained) dog in any type of store that doesn't sell food.
I have no problem with a small dog in a bag in any store including supermarkets and other food carrying stores. If the dog is in a bag what can it possibly do?

I do think having a big dog in a cart used for food is a bit much - but if the dog is in a bag in the cart.... who cares?

I love the idea of such a dog friendly city - Portland sounds wonderful to me!

I agree with you how Portland sounds like "dog friendly city", cause our sure is not. I've been kicked out of free outdoor concert~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
to the OP , did you ever consider that some of these dogs might be service dogs ? and let me remind you that it is illegal to boot someone from a public place that has a service dog and you will recognize those dogs from their vest they wear which clearly states that they are service dogs . I think you need to lighten your rather strong stance on dogs in stores period . I think you are ignorant of what is truly going on and need to educate yourself .
I agree~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Agree.

I take my dog into Home Depot & Lowe's and even have asked them and they tell me it is okay. They have even had large dogs in there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I've seen just as many ill manner dogs as with children. However given the choice I'd deal with a dog any day.
Me too, I agree~! Dog are well-behaved than most kids I've seen in stores~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness