U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,065,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
There is something seriously wrong with a person who has to carry their dog around with them everywhere. They could save the money they aren't' spending on a psychiatrist to hire a pet sitter for the dog when they go to a restaurant or grocery store.
To each, their own opinion. First, I would never take my toy brindle rat terrier (5 lbs), to any place the serves/sells food. If I considered it necessary (which now, seeing responses like this, is tempting me) , I could get the dog certified as a service dog, and then I don't care what others think and can go almost anywhere. Not that it is anyone's business, but I pay far more for a private dog nanny, that I would for a psych, annually. Maybe I should go see a psych, as I value my dog more than most people, their kid(s), and anyone who is so close-minded (hint). When enjoying a meal in a fine restaurant, it turns my stomach to smell a poopy diaper from one table over, and seeing green beans bouncing off the floor, and deafening shrieking. Just my opinion. No flames, please.

Back to the topic of this thread.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
More food for thought - its against the health code for grocery stores and restaurants in California. Falsely representing a dog as a service animal is fraud under the Americans with Disabilities Act as well (up to $1,000 fine and six months in jail). Obviously this supposed liberal state I live in takes it seriously even if folks like you don't (and trotting out the nasty children analogy doesn't cut it). Non service animals do not belong in a grocery store (or restaurant/fast food place). Period.
I agree about grocery/restaurant/fast food places.... no place for a dog (nor children, and yes, it does cut it. IMHO). But many stores don't care (places like Home Depot, Staples, and about 30 other places I go). The biggest distraction is that everyone wants to see the dog.
It is relatively simple to legally get a dog certified as a service dog. A good friend of mine trains K9 police dogs, and is well versed in the various classifications of certifications. He offered me his retired police dog for free, which is about 10 times out of the league of a service dog, so certification is trivial, (but that would freak out people in stores, and my Czechoslovakian pronunciation is awful). But I digress as usual.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,062,144 times
Guide dogs, and certified service dogs are exempt.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,165 times
Because service dogs are exempt you are likely to see more of this in the future. Service dogs aren't just for the blind anymore. Many people with a disability, including mental or emotional problems can get a service dog.
I know one person who has a service dog provide for by state social services or Tourettes Syndrome because the dog calms him down. Money for dog food is also provided by the state.
Portland has a lot of people who receive disability from the government for a lot of different things and the number is growing so expect to see even more dogs in the stores.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Because service dogs are exempt you are likely to see more of this in the future. Service dogs aren't just for the blind anymore. Many people with a disability, including mental or emotional problems can get a service dog.
I know one person who has a service dog provide for by state social services or Tourettes Syndrome because the dog calms him down. Money for dog food is also provided by the state.
Portland has a lot of people who receive disability from the government for a lot of different things and the number is growing so expect to see even more dogs in the stores.
Absolutely. We had service dogs in the hospitals and rehabs (the little old ladies loved them! ), and we took them to nursing homes and retirement homes.
One place I worked was extremely 'dog friendly'.... don't know if it was legal or not, but it was a private company, and we had engineers bringing in their dogs all the time.... (The only time I ever had to ask one of them to take his dog home, was when his beagle was in the rear stairwell, baying, and that disturbed the other engineers.) But I digress as usual.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,906,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post

no point in arguing with a closed minded person who can't or won't understand how filthy people and especially children are but dogs simply are not. Period.
Spoke with the manager of the store. It is against the law and a health code violation (and they can be fined for it). He said he would speak with his clerks about being more vigilant about enforcing it and said if I should see it again to not hesitate to tell him and he would speak with the party. I'm not "closed-minded" - its the law. Dog owners need to get a grip on the subject. You can't take them everywhere and grocery stores and restaurants are off limits. Seems like common sense and a person shouldn't have to be told, but apparently that isn't so common anymore.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Spoke with the manager of the store. It is against the law and a health code violation (and they can be fined for it). He said he would speak with his clerks about being more vigilant about enforcing it and said if I should see it again to not hesitate to tell him and he would speak with the party. I'm not "closed-minded" - its the law. Dog owners need to get a grip on the subject. You can't take them everywhere and grocery stores and restaurants are off limits. Seems like common sense and a person shouldn't have to be told, but apparently that isn't so common anymore.
The individual with the dog just has to play by the rules. Want to bet how quickly I can get a legitimate and legal service dog license? In about the same amount of time it took me to get my machine gun license, CCW, FFL, and about 5 other licenses that the "close-minded" don't like.
It has nothing to do with 'common sense'... it has to do with 'following the laws'. Get the correct licenses, and then you are just plain SOL.
Nothing like seeing the poop ooze out of a diaper when the AB is sitting in the carriage. Yummy. Makes my grocery shopping experience a joy. Perhaps that is why I only go really early in the morning, or really late at night.

'nuff said.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 AM

29,609 posts, read 31,931,623 times
Service dogs are not comfort dogs, whole different ballgame and shouldn't be treated the same.

BTW, people are allowed to bring their dogs to the office where my kid works, everyone loved it until this week when she and several others got ringworm.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:11 PM

14,327 posts, read 12,580,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Service dogs are not comfort dogs, whole different ballgame and shouldn't be treated the same.

BTW, people are allowed to bring their dogs to the office where my kid works, everyone loved it until this week when she and several others got ringworm.
Versus bring your kid to work day, then they could have gotten lice.

Just sayin.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,377,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

I've had dogs for 20+ years and never gotten ringworm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Versus bring your kid to work day, then they could have gotten lice.

Just sayin.

True!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness