U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 AM

55 posts, read 222,696 times

Advertisements

Every once in awhile my wife and I go into the pet store and look at the dogs and cats they have and when we're in there you will always see someone with thier dog walking around, this bothers me bad because some dogs have fleas are sick and who knows what else. They say its a pet store and you can bring you pets inside.
Bottom line is there dirty and dont belong in a store.They pee on the floor and MAYBE sometime they clean it right away but most of the time it just sits there.
We dont go in the store to much anymore because of that.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 AM

14,652 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Animals do not belong in grocery stores or the like - not just because of the sanitary issues, but many people have allergies. For God's sake! I can't believe that nonsense. I wouldn't last a day in Portland. Now, I do love animals, and here in Sarasota where we live there are plenty of dining places where doggies are welcome OUTSIDE on the open-air patios, which is as it should be. I have on rare occasions seen someone with a small dog inside a grocery or Target store, but it's not the norm, thank goodness.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,378,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I didn't know where else to place this thread on citydata so Health & Wellsness should suffice.

I shop at Safeway here in Portland, Oregon. I would like to ask people's opinon on people putting their dog, in the shopping cart when they shop. To me it is disgusting and unhealthy. It leaves one with a very unappealing feeling, when it comes to putting your food in the cart. A shopping cart is for grocery's and nothing else. The carts are not fitted with a child's seat so the dog is in the area where one puts food items. I like dogs as much as the next person, but not in the store and not in a cart that I put food in. A number of fools in this store, went up to these people and admired their dogs and how cute they were. A rather disrespectul crowd and inconsiderate of other people I think. If anyone is familiar with the rather large percentage of oddballs in this particular city, then perhaps you can understand my disgust.

This store was on the news last year several times, for complaints made about animals in the store. Dogs jumping up on the meat counters and sniffing the packages. Or they were doing their duty in the aisle. People were bringing in rabbits in thier coat pockets and pet snakes and mice in their coat sleeves. Again this city has some very strange residents, the likes of I have never seen elsewhere in the USA.

I complained to the manager then as well as tonight, and just got a "Well we will bleach it down" Like they will know what cart it is. My response was why is this foolishness even allowed. Why does Safeway allow this at this particular location and others in Portland. I don't see it elsewhere in the USA. I don't think many cities or states would allow all these animals in food stores, especially in the cart.

Sorry for the rant but this city and its sicko ways make me sick, and I cant' wait to leave the end of this year. Its one weird thing after another in Portland and this would be on the mild end. When you can't even go to a large chain grocery store for what they are intended for. Shopping for groceries. Not a battle with worthless types over this crap.

Unfortunately this is the only grocery store in this neighborhood. An innercity neighborhood so many of us do not own cars to shop elsewhere.

Thanks.
It looks like your State health department would have laws against taking dogs into a grocery store. Have you informed them of the problem?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,979,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
Every once in awhile my wife and I go into the pet store and look at the dogs and cats they have and when we're in there you will always see someone with thier dog walking around, this bothers me bad because some dogs have fleas are sick and who knows what else. They say its a pet store and you can bring you pets inside.
Bottom line is there dirty and dont belong in a store.They pee on the floor and MAYBE sometime they clean it right away but most of the time it just sits there.
We dont go in the store to much anymore because of that.
I agree that a dog in a grocery store is a bit silly. But a pet store is a legitimate place to take your dog. I assume you're talking about petco or petsmart? I wouldn't take my dog there if he wasn't house trained but most dogs are. And when I owned a dog he was bathed regularly and wasn't dirty. Nowadays dogs even come in the house and are considered part of the family Imagine that! Do you avoid playgrounds because the kids are dirty too? Because those kids are probably much more germy than the average dog.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM

14,652 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Another article:

Oregon: Live dangerously with dogs; lose a sandwich | barfblog

Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,292,911 times
LOL, I am one of those who goes over to admire dogs in carts. I say you should lighten up and live a little.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,378,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
LOL, I am one of those who goes over to admire dogs in carts. I say you should lighten up and live a little.
I really don't think that you want a creature that can lick it's own butt to come in direct contact with the food that you eat.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,639,998 times
I am an animal lover as much as the next person, but I agree that dogs should not be in the grocery store, except for service animals. Yes, I agree with the argument that they are likely no more "germy" than anything else that touches the cart (drooling babies, sick customers, and the like) and that if you really need to stay germ-free, it's probably best to bring some handi-wipes and wipe the cart down before you use it. Whatever the grocery store may "claim" they do at night, it won't make a difference between you and the customer right before you.

I don't have a problem with dogs in places like Petsmart, or at outdoor markets where a more casual atmosphere is in place, but I think some people have gone too far. Additionally, there's the problem that while I might not care if someone had a well-trained dog kept on a short lead and not allowed to come near me or stick their nose all over the food I wanted to buy, you also run into all the flaky pet owners who just let their animal do whatever (probably the same one whose children are running crazy and unsupervised around the store screaming and knocking over elderly patrons) and it's difficult to make rules for behavior. Probably it would be best if the store just had a "no pets except for service animals" policy and stuck to it.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I went into a furniture store a few months ago and a middle aged couple had their big dog in the store with them. Not only was the dog in the store but the couple had him on the sofa checking it out
WHAT, you want em to buy a sofa the dawg doesnt like??????

Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,292,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I really don't think that you want a creature that can lick it's own butt to come in direct contact with the food that you eat.
That's what they make those sanitary wipes for to wipe down the cart. I would far prefer a dog in a cart to a baby. They can be so cute and I think people get too hung up on GERMS! OmG! Studies have shown that those raised with pets are better at fighting off infections than those raised in sterile environments.

Now, I don't think big dogs should be in carts, but i see nothing wrong with little cute ones.

BTW, the GERMS don't have to come in contact with the food. that is what the plastic bags are for (in the produce and meat sections).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness