U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,292,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
WHAT, you want em to buy a sofa the dawg doesnt like??????
Exactly. my pets love my sofa and are perched on the pillows all the time.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Exactly. my pets love my sofa and are perched on the pillows all the time.
I just always say a prayer that they'll let me join them

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,378,981 times
Quote:
That's what they make those sanitary wipes for to wipe down the cart. I would far prefer a dog in a cart to a baby. They can be so cute and I think people get too hung up on GERMS! OmG! Studies have shown that those raised with pets are better at fighting off infections than those raised in sterile environments.

Now, I don't think big dogs should be in carts, but i see nothing wrong with little cute ones.

BTW, the GERMS don't have to come in contact with the food. that is what the plastic bags are for (in the produce and meat sections).
Hmmm. I really do not know what to say to this. Ok... I'll let someone else do the talking for me:

Infections That Pets Carry
"...pets also carry certain bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungi that can cause illness if transmitted to humans. Humans get these animal-borne diseases when they're bitten or scratched or have contact with an animal's waste, saliva, or dander.
These diseases can affect humans in many ways. They're of greatest concern to young children, infants, pregnant women, and people whose immune systems have been compromised by illness or disease. Infants and kids younger than 5 years old are at risk because their immune systems are still developing, and some infections that might make an adult just mildly sick can be more serious for them."

I like dogs. I have one sitting right next to me. It's my choice for my family. But- I do not take my pet into public places and force the general public to accept him as I do. It is not appropriate in any way to have a dog in a grocery store. Why do people have to be so rude and self-absorbed to see that their actions can have negative effects on someone else? It's not about being a germaphobe. It's about respect for each other and for the health and safety of those around us.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,292,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Hmmm. I really do not know what to say to this. Ok... I'll let someone else do the talking for me:

Infections That Pets Carry
"...pets also carry certain bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungi that can cause illness if transmitted to humans. Humans get these animal-borne diseases when they're bitten or scratched or have contact with an animal's waste, saliva, or dander.
These diseases can affect humans in many ways. They're of greatest concern to young children, infants, pregnant women, and people whose immune systems have been compromised by illness or disease. Infants and kids younger than 5 years old are at risk because their immune systems are still developing, and some infections that might make an adult just mildly sick can be more serious for them."

I like dogs. I have one sitting right next to me. It's my choice for my family. But- I do not take my pet into public places and force the general public to accept him as I do. It is not appropriate in any way to have a dog in a grocery store. Why do people have to be so rude and self-absorbed to see that their actions can have negative effects on someone else? It's not about being a germaphobe. It's about respect for each other and for the health and safety of those around us.
Well, I've always related more with Europeans than Americans, so you can just chalk it up to that.

Honestly, you are far more likely to get into an auto accident that contract some horrible disease from a pet, but I bet you don't even think of this when you get behind the wheel.

I see nothing wrong with a dog in a grocery store and, in fact, I would think most would agree with me.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM

I think most would not. Whatever. It's just another example of people's inability, or refusal, to look at something from another's perspective. I don't want your chihuahua's butt juice in my shopping cart. Period.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:13 PM

14,652 posts, read 29,700,640 times
I don't mind pets in pet stores, or outside areas of restaurants, but they do NOT belong in a grocery or any other store than that, and it is against the law.

I would not shop in any grocery store where all dogs/pets were allowed. It should be service animals, period. I agree with the person who posted about all the diseases and parasites dogs and other animals carry, and how dangerous it is for babies or anyone else with a compromised immune system. In fact, I need to thank JimRob for starting this thread because now I am really going to be re-thinking where I shop. On another note, I am reminded of this story:

One time I was in a grocery store in the small town I used to live in and saw an extremely obese man who was out of breath set his big butt down on the open freezer case RIGHT ON TOP OFTHE FOOD! I was disgusted beyond belief. Who wants to buy food that some butt has just sat on? Some people are utter pigs. I have seen this same behavior a couple of other times too, in some Walmarts, where I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER shop anymore. Some stores are more sanitary than others. I never see this behavior in Super Target, which is always sparkling clean, too.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I I have seen this same behavior a couple of other times too, in some Walmarts, where I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER shop anymore. Some stores are more sanitary than others. I never see this behavior in Super Target, which is always sparkling clean, too.
You know- I have often marvelled at the profound differences between Walmart and Target shoppers. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees it.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,639,998 times
Quote:
Well, I've always related more with Europeans than Americans, so you can just chalk it up to that.

Honestly, you are far more likely to get into an auto accident that contract some horrible disease from a pet, but I bet you don't even think of this when you get behind the wheel.

I see nothing wrong with a dog in a grocery store and, in fact, I would think most would agree with me.
I disagree and I have a hard time believing the majority of the general population would approve of dogs in grocery stores and other retail establishments.

The problem with the example you posted is the factor of choice. I choose to get in my car in the mornings. I accept that risk. The pet owner is making the choice that others HAVE to interact with their pet and its germs. I say this as an animal lover with a pet in my lap as we speak. Like Milleka said, it's my choice to do what I wish in my own house, but I don't force that choice upon others when I go out in public.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:37 PM

42,223 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Perhaps you should move sooner if you hate the place that much?
How do you feel about children in carts? Keep in mind they could have poopy diapers and probably do have snotty noses and they stick their fingers up their noses then touch the carts. And lets not forget the constant coughing I hear from the little rug rats.
I'll take a cart that's had a dog in it thank you very much.
I agree. Toddlers and other small children are much more likely to pass disease on than a dog. Kids are veritable germ factories.

If people can bring their walking snot factories into a store to paw at all the merchandise, why not bring a dog?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I disagree and I have a hard time believing the majority of the general population would approve of dogs in grocery stores and other retail establishments.

The problem with the example you posted is the factor of choice. I choose to get in my car in the mornings. I accept that risk. The pet owner is making the choice that others HAVE to interact with their pet and its germs. I say this as an animal lover with a pet in my lap as we speak. Like Milleka said, it's my choice to do what I wish in my own house, but I don't force that choice upon others when I go out in public.
Thank you. I'm glad there are still people out there who have some sense, and also respect enough for other people not to push their choices off on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.