U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Ohio
9,601 posts, read 4,125,899 times
Reputation: 10363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Very weird. And when did all kids automatically become "snot-nosed"?

I'll take a snot-nosed kid over a slobbering, butt licking, snot-nosed dog any day of the week.
Not me.

 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Location: gazing @ the Blue Ridge Mountains
9,599 posts, read 6,010,079 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Very weird. And when did all kids automatically become "snot-nosed"?

I'll take a snot-nosed kid over a slobbering, butt licking, snot-nosed dog any day of the week.
seems like every kid I see is snotty faced
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Not me.
ditto Annie.........dogs over kids everytime!!
 
Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
 
18,870 posts, read 13,496,346 times
Reputation: 24727
Well, it is more responsible for a pet owner to bring the dog into the store, than leave the dog out in the car, especially if it is hot out, and summer. We don't always plan on taking pets to the store, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Once, I had to take Beau into the store, I had just moved into a new place, had not been there yet, had Beau with me, was picking up some cat litter, and food. He stayed in his carrier, in the shopping cart. No one said a word to me. It was too hot to leave him in the car, a car, even on a Spring day, can get to over 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.
 
Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: gazing @ the Blue Ridge Mountains
9,599 posts, read 6,010,079 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, it is more responsible for a pet owner to bring the dog into the store, than leave the dog out in the car, especially if it is hot out, and summer. We don't always plan on taking pets to the store, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Once, I had to take Beau into the store, I had just moved into a new place, had not been there yet, had Beau with me, was picking up some cat litter, and food. He stayed in his carrier, in the shopping cart. No one said a word to me. It was too hot to leave him in the car, a car, even on a Spring day, can get to over 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.
you are an awesome pet parent
 
Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Woodinville
2,168 posts, read 1,459,211 times
Reputation: 4075
I haven't read this whole thread so I apologize if someone has already brought this up.

I think I read somewhere (don't quote me on this) that commercial establishments are prohibited from allowing pets if they serve or vend food of some kind. However there is a loophole saying that service dogs ARE allowed and that it's illegal to ask what the purpose of the service dog is for fear of discrimination. Most breeds can be trained to be seizure protection dogs, so anyone who wants to take advantage of the system can bring their dog anywhere on that premise even though it could be false.

I'm a dog guy so I'm going to side with dogs over kids anyway.
 
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 PM
 
18,870 posts, read 13,496,346 times
Reputation: 24727
In Florida, the laws on "service animals" are pretty liberal. You can write your own paperwork stating your pet is a "therapy animal". Honestly, I love my kids, but the cat is much cleaner and more sanitary. He is constantly washing his paws and face. He loves to go to the mall.
 
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: NE TN~ TriCities
4,947 posts, read 5,957,381 times
Reputation: 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I think I read somewhere (don't quote me on this) that commercial establishments are prohibited from allowing pets if they serve or vend food of some kind. However there is a loophole saying that service dogs ARE allowed and that it's illegal to ask what the purpose of the service dog is for fear of discrimination. Most breeds can be trained to be seizure protection dogs, so anyone who wants to take advantage of the system can bring their dog anywhere on that premise even though it could be false.
Many states and cities have laws against non service animals in grocery stores, it violates their health codes.
The following is from an Oregon site but I believe it applies to other places too.
Oregon Department of Agriculture News and Events: Animals in grocery stores "dog" food safety officials (http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/news/090812dogs.shtml - broken link)


"Some people claim the animal provides comfort or emotional stability, and that's why they need to take them into a store," says Bybee. "That is a function not included in the definition of a service animal. The animal must perform a function for a disabled individual who cannot perform that function for themselves. It may be that the person needs visual assistance, needs help with balance, or needs the animal to open and close a door, for instance. Just wanting to have a pet with you at all times does not meet the definition."

Common sense and courtesy by pet owners can go a long way in diffusing the tension often surrounding retailers, the general public, and the issue of animals in grocery stores.

The second message is directed at the retailer. They should not be afraid to ask some basic questions when a person comes into the store with an animal. Pets, in general, are not allowed in retail grocery stores or any other food establishment. They must be a service animal. This is the default position for retailers."You cannot ask a person to identify their disability, but you can ask what the animal has been trained to do," says Bybee.
"The person needs to identify the service that the animal performs that they can't do for themselves. There must be a direct link. It's okay for retailers to ask that question."

(http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/news/090812dogs.shtml - broken link)
 
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM
 
Location: somewhere
3,667 posts, read 4,939,340 times
Reputation: 2047
I love dogs and I have no problem with service dogs in grocery stores but other than service dogs, pets shouldn't be in grocery stores. I would complaing and then not return.
 
Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM
 
18,870 posts, read 13,496,346 times
Reputation: 24727
Veterans who have PTSD have dogs, they say it helps them maintain their life, without going into PTSD issues...would you say that a veteran with PTSD who has a verified service dog cannot bring that dog into the store?
 
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
5,335 posts, read 5,174,919 times
Reputation: 9515
When my kids were little, I had a big quilted cover for the baby seat in the shopping cart. After every shopping trip, I washed the cover. I didn't have to worry about what or who had been in the cart before my babies.

I don't like dogs in the store, though. If someone needs to take their dog shopping with them, there's always the pet store. Of course I don't mean service dogs. But when I used to work retail, there were always people trying to bring their dogs in, thinking the "No Pets" sign on the door didn't apply. One regular customer had a dog that probably weighed two or three pounds, all dressed up in silk pajamas with curlers in its hair. I was working at a liquor store, and I always let that woman bring the poor thing in, just because it was funny to see what she had done to it that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top