U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this so if it needs to be moved, please move.

STD's completely baffle me and I am convinced there is another way to get them besides just sex. 6 months ago I was diagnosed with chlamydia. My boyfriend and I both got treated and re-tested. Both came back negative.

I have been diagnosed again now with chlamydia and gonorrhea. I have been faithful and I believe he also has. Yes he could have cheated on me but I see him everyday. I essentially "live with him" even though I have my own place. If he IS cheating then it's during the 2 hour period where he is home from work alone in the house and I'm still @ work.

He also could have been lying and said his test came back negative but again I do not think he is lying.

My question is...though not proven, does anyone feel there is another way to catch std's besdies intercourse? I have been reading up on this and I find many stories like mine. I feel doctors don't know as much as they think they do and just because another way hasn't been proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I haven't told my boyf about my re-infection yet and I know I need to but right now I feel there are too many variables for me to chalk it up to him cheating...false test results exist...as well as the fact that the dr who test me was a nurse practitioner not a real doctor. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on how they feel.

Thanks! Insight is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Some STDs can be transmitted via non-sexual vehicles. Chlamydia and Ghonorrhea, however are transmitted by direct contact with the sexual organs, including orally. A baby can also get it simply by being born, if the mother has the infection in her vagina.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Yeeaah, I don't think so..

You should probably both go get tested together and treated at the same time, in fact, I would insist upon it. I know you want to take his word, but this is a huge risk factor to your health.

Follow your medication instructions to the T, and make sure you don't have sex with eachother (or others) until you are both STD-free.

Good luck, but I'm sorry, I do not believe you can catch STDs from anything other than an infected partner. STDs like this don't just pop up out of nowhere between two uninfected monogamous partners.

And if you guys don't get this sorted immediately, (& at the same time)you are both just going to keep re-infecting eachother.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,377,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this so if it needs to be moved, please move.

STD's completely baffle me and I am convinced there is another way to get them besides just sex. 6 months ago I was diagnosed with chlamydia. My boyfriend and I both got treated and re-tested. Both came back negative.

I have been diagnosed again now with chlamydia and gonorrhea. I have been faithful and I believe he also has. Yes he could have cheated on me but I see him everyday. I essentially "live with him" even though I have my own place. If he IS cheating then it's during the 2 hour period where he is home from work alone in the house and I'm still @ work.

He also could have been lying and said his test came back negative but again I do not think he is lying.

My question is...though not proven, does anyone feel there is another way to catch std's besdies intercourse? I have been reading up on this and I find many stories like mine. I feel doctors don't know as much as they think they do and just because another way hasn't been proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I haven't told my boyf about my re-infection yet and I know I need to but right now I feel there are too many variables for me to chalk it up to him cheating...false test results exist...as well as the fact that the dr who test me was a nurse practitioner not a real doctor. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on how they feel.

Thanks! Insight is appreciated.
Ok- First of all, Nurse Practicioners are every bit as qualified to treat these conditions as an MD or DO.Second- I suppose it is possible to contract an STD without sexual contact, but it would be highly unlikely. Your genitals must come in direct contact with a surface that is infected. I've heard of immuno-compromised individuals having some unusual infections, but not typically "healthy" adults. I think you need to re-examine your relationship. It sounds to me like someone is not being completely honest.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,603,242 times
Let's keep it real. You've gotten chlamydia twice within a year + gonorrhea. Technically, that's 3 STDs in a year. Even in an immunocompromised person, that's a lot. How about this, stop having any type of sexual contact for 6 months. If you get another STD, you know something weird is going on. If you're still clean, then the most likely source is your boyfriend.

Honestly, if you said you only got chlamydia a second time, I'd give the benefit of the doubt and say that the antibiotics didn't do the job, even if that was due to user failure. But gonorrhea too!?! Come on, you know the most likely source.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
Well, one of you isn't being honest. That is the answer.

The end.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,637,991 times
First of all, the fact that it was a NP makes no difference.

Second, is there some freak possibility out there? Maybe. But if you can swear that you haven't come into sexual contact with anyone, aren't sharing someone else's dirty underwear, or whatever, then he would be the major source of suspicion. And no, we can't swear it isn't some medical impossibility, but I think you need to take this situation seriously and open your mind to the idea that he could be cheating. Everyone wants to think they're the .5% anomaly when much of the time, they were in the 99.5% all along. Not saying you have to break up with him, but use protection from now on and keep your eyes open.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,632,316 times
Don't take it from us. Ask to see the doctor if you must while you're being treated and believe him over your boyfriend.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,377,083 times
The general consensus seems to be that somebody in your relationship is not being completely truthful. You really need to get it figured out for your physical health and emotional well-being.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,087,259 times
Drop ol boy and if you're still burning every few months, then you will know for sure that you have a dirty, unsanitary household, and a helluva lot of Lysol is in order. Barring that solution, I suggest you drop this dude either way, because you're going to keep playing around and being in denial, and he's going to keep cheating and burning until he finally passes herpes or the big one to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness