U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM

713 posts, read 3,030,160 times

Advertisements

Any advice on dealing with constant back pain? Due to sleeping on a coach I have developed back pain in the center of my back that goes away when I am laying down but when I stand begins to come back. The pain must likely is caused from a pinched muscle in my back or diaphragm because when I am standing it feels like I am holding a heavy box and cant fully breath at times. just wish for it to go away since its been 3 days now with this pain but thankfully it disappears when I'm laying on my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,885,074 times
See a doctor.

More than likely he will take x-rays or if you're lucky, an MRI.

Regardless, there are exactly four things that can happen: 1) Physical Therapy, 2) Drugs, 3) Surgery, 4) Deal with it.

If PT, there's a 98% chance you can just go online and find the basic exercises a PT will recommend. Either that or your doctor will hand you a xeroxed sheet of paper showing a bunch of essentially the same generic back exercises.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,954,115 times
I've had great relief from a product called The Miracle Ball Method. It's a small box put out by Workman Publishing that contains a little book by Elaine Petrone and two small, blue rubbery balls. The balls are bigger than a baseball, but smaller than those exercise balls you see. Petrone's book contains many exercises you can do with the balls, although I would hardly call them exercises, since most include doing nothing more than lying on the floor with the balls placed under you in strategic positions. You keep the balls in position, letting your weight rest on them, for just a few minutes, then you remove them and lie prone on the floor for another few minutes.

I've heard of people doing similar things with tennis balls, but I was reluctant to try it without any specific advice, which this book provides.

You can repeat the different exercises in any way that provides relief for you. In my case, I was diagnosed with sciatic issues that come and go. Definitely aggravated by different forms of physical exertion (mostly the kind unavoidable to home owners) and an ankle injury I suffered recently to the same leg. When I started the ball exercises the pain down my leg was intense and constant. It was making all the muscles in my lower back very tense, so back pain was also becoming an issue. The very first day I did the exercises, my leg pain was dialed down from about 9 to 4. I've been doing the exercises twice a day and my leg pain is now gone, although I'm still doing the exercises since the results are pleasant. Afterward feel more relaxed, standing straighter and taller.

I discovered the Workman product at Costco on the book table. I paid $10.95, although the retail price on the box says $17.95. Even that would be a bargain in terms of the relief I feel. I might have attained similar relief from a good massage or treatment from a chiropractor, but this is easier and less expensive.

I have no financial interest in the product -- I don't even know anyone else who's ever used it. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have. I don't know if it would work for your issue, rgomez, but it might be a low-cost solution for you. And when you can afford it, please get a good mattress. As you have found, sleeping with inadequate support is not good for your back. Even a cheap mattress placed directly on the floor is better than a sofa. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness