U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM

523 posts, read 1,912,275 times
Default Coffee

I'm curious if I'm the only one who reacts strangely to coffee. I know that many people need it as their morning pick-me-up. I've actually never been able to drink it--whenever I do, I just get really tired and hungry. For instance, just 2 hours ago, someone brought in Hazelnut flavored coffee that smelled so good, I decided to have 1/2 cup. Right now, I'm really tired and really hungry even though I have eaten PLENTY today. Other times, when I have had a full cup of coffee, I get super tired and extremely hungry to the point of being uncomfortable. Am I the only person that reacts this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM

1,794 posts, read 5,180,784 times
Seems odd to me. The only time when I consumed coffee that I would feel immediately tired was when I tried for a second or third dose of caffeine later in the day and it seemed like my body rejected the additional caffeine.

It should be a stimulant - if your body reacts like it isn't I don't know what's going on except that some people need more caffeine to feel it than others (perhaps you're one of them - and you felt the effects of the sugar crash more than the caffeine).

Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM

453 posts, read 1,506,227 times
that's not very uncommon. it's possible that the sns response caused by caffeine stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system

Old 07-31-2007, 12:01 AM

13 posts, read 27,251 times
Coffee does not work for me, and like you, it sometimes makes me more tired than I was before I drank it.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 AM

21,780 posts, read 37,979,039 times
This has happen to me several times and it was hazlenut too. I love that flavor.
It made me mad because I went to get the cup of coffee so I can manage the afternoon and after I drank the cup I got sleepy and took a nap.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 AM

609 posts, read 2,592,784 times
Some people are allergic to nuts.

The coffee "bean" is actually a tree nut or seed from a tree in the evergreen family.

There is also a ton of pesticides and herbacides used in growing coffee.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 AM

791 posts, read 2,197,957 times
I concur: never saw the point in coffee- tastes like charcoal, and it doesn't stimulate me. I feel yuckier after I drink it and am confused as to how it has been regarded as a hunger supressant- anything but! My stomach craves for food afetr downing a cup of coffee.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM

788 posts, read 2,969,016 times
How interesting. I have never heard anyone react that way to coffee before. I love it--the taste, the spike in energy, the smell. It doesn't make me hungry, nor tired, unless like the previous poster mentioned, i try consuming too much.

Everyone's body chemistry is a little different (a few a lot different).

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 AM

609 posts, read 2,592,784 times
Many people are allergic to tree nuts just like many are allergic to peanuts.

Believe it or not the coffee industry has a very strong lobby and makes sure the general public doesn't find out about all of the bad things about coffee.

Caffeine, that's nothin'. Coffee is the #1 source of Cadmium aside from cigarettes. Google cadmium danger and read. Scary.

PS, I drink about quart of coffee a day, but only organic. I too am allergic but i keep drinking.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 AM

55,289 posts, read 11,623,162 times
I can only drink 2 cups,that's my max,I can get very irritated drinking another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness