U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, you can be very healthy on a vegan diet, but this infant was 11 months old. Not 3 months old. A 3-month old can thrive on breastmilk exclusively. An 11-month old can still drink breastmilk, but there isn't enough milk in one person's breasts to adequately feed an 11-month old baby. ESPECIALLY if mommy's idea of "vegan" eating also precludes synthetic supplements - which would mean mom isn't getting that B12 she needs, and isn't passing it to her son. Baby needs MORE FOOD than what mommy's breast can provide exclusively. His mother starved him to death. The B12 deficiency was a symptom of that.
I am a vegan mother who breastfed her baby exclusively for 12 months. My baby did not experience any weight loss. She was born 9lbs 7oz on a vegan diet and was 12lbs on her well baby visit 3 days later. My meat eating mother in law breastfed her three boys until they 14 and 15mos. No other foods. They are alive and well. I'm married to one. So, my point is it doesn't matter the diet. Meat or no meat, If you are not making enough milk to feed your child, then they will starve. Unfortunately, some women cannot breastfeed or produce enough milk or don't have any resources available to them to inform them how to properly feed and recognize a full, satiated baby. They can plan a perfectly proportioned meal of animal proteins and fresh veggies, or pay the most expensive doctors to help them, or they can be vegan mom's who try to follow what they think is the most optimal diet and still may never be able to produce enough milk. Just like some can't bear children. It happens.

Sadly, there is an abundance of "baby starves to death" stories out there. Most of them are meat eating families. Trust me, if they were vegan or veg families, the headlines would rat them out in the headlines. Unfortunately, they berate and belittle others' lifestyles or beliefs. Insert: Homosexual Couple's, Religious cult couple's, Vegetarian couple's, Vegan family's...baby starves to death!" Then you all eat it up and shun them. Then you go and make silly posts like this one where VEGANISM had nothing to do with this death. This family didnt feed their child enough fukcing food! She wasn't producing enuf mother's milk and she along with the father was ignorant enough not to realize this or chose to ignore the signs(screaming crying baby maybe?).Hell Oreo Cookies are vegan. She couldn't get none of those either.

Last edited by athenafro; 04-18-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM

106 posts, read 237,048 times
humans are not made to be vegans. it's completely impossible to eat a healthy vegan diet long term. if you get your protein and fats from plants, you are not getting optimal protein and fats, especially if your protein source is soy. lots of antinutrients and bad lectins in soy. I completely avoid all forms of soy. and for fats, all you're left with really is avocado, nuts, olive oil, and coconut oil.

human breastmilk has loads of saturated fat and cholesterol. why do you suppose this is? is it a mistake?

and if anyone's infant is drinking breastmilk from their mother, they are not a vegan baby. hello? sheesh. if that were true, then drinking cow's milk could qualify as vegan. if you are a human mother, you are an animal, no? you are surely not a plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness