U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:11 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,891,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I took a pharmacy tech course and if memory serves me right, it's the fillers that differ.

As to asking them for brand name at the pharmacy counter, I'd rather ask the Dr. to write DAW on the script (dispense as written). I went to Costco with the brand name but not the DAW on the script. I was actually hassled by the pharmacy tech for asking for what the Dr. wrote. I demanded brand name and I got it. Of course, it cost me more. I almost turned her in (it's not her job to tell me what to do - that is for the pharmacist) but I didn't want to be responsible for a job loss. Also, they actually made me initial that I had demanded brand name.

The patient can always pay for the brand and bypass insurance if they wish but in the case of Valtrex they are taking around $700 so that isn't usually a very popular option with many patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,319,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
The patient can always pay for the brand and bypass insurance if they wish but in the case of Valtrex they are taking around $700 so that isn't usually a very popular option with many patients.
For those very expensive types of meds, I wouldn't demand the brand name either. Fortunately, my insurance did cover it, just at the highest level copay. So difference was maybe $45.

I'd read several accounts on the Net that there was a notable difference between generic and brand and that is why I went with brand.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM

18,142 posts, read 17,281,367 times
There's been a lot on our tv lately about how the generic and brand names differ. I thought that it was a well known truth until I met a sarcastic doctor in the hospital recently.

I take a small dose of a tranquilizer to help me sleep and in my case it's the brand name that doesn't work. The generic is great. Go figure! But they certainly do differ.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM

4,551 posts, read 9,891,371 times
Some insurance companies will not pay for a brand name even if it is daw 1. For some patients $45 is a complete dealbreaker on medications they cannot or will not pay that much extra.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,245,914 times
They (my insurance) recently changed to a generic for a nose spray I have been using for years and that generic stuff like to have killed me 3 times before I realized what was causing my throat to close up on me and quit using it.. I ran to the drug store with it to find out what ingredient is in it that I had such a reaction to (thinking I NEEDED to KNOW since it darn near killed me 3 times).... That druggiest looked so irritated with me and told me it was exactly they same as the name brand, no difference at all... I told him "maybe to YOU but my body tells me otherwise!".. I've asked 2 doctors and get the same answer I got from the druggest... I am not asking for no top secrete information, I just want some information that will save my life if I am exposed to it again!! Geez!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,766,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
They (my insurance) recently changed to a generic for a nose spray I have been using for years and that generic stuff like to have killed me 3 times before I realized what was causing my throat to close up on me and quit using it.. I ran to the drug store with it to find out what ingredient is in it that I had such a reaction to (thinking I NEEDED to KNOW since it darn near killed me 3 times).... That druggiest looked so irritated with me and told me it was exactly they same as the name brand, no difference at all... I told him "maybe to YOU but my body tells me otherwise!".. I've asked 2 doctors and get the same answer I got from the druggest... I am not asking for no top secrete information, I just want some information that will save my life if I am exposed to it again!! Geez!
Why not just look up the ingredients on the manufacturer's website. The prescription label on the generic has the manufacturer's name on it somewhere. They're required to put that information down now.

You -also- shouldn't rule out the possibility that you've developed an allergy to the spray. People can develop allergies at any time. It's also possible that the spray nozzle is slightly different and causing you to inhale the spray in some kind of funky way. It's also possible that the stuff was on a shelf for awhile and some kind of sedimentation occurred, and you're snorting up the sediments on the bottom of the bottle.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 15,179 times
To be FDA-approved it must have the same active ingredients,strenght,dosage and form as the brand name equivalent. Different fillers or additives may produce slightly different effects.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 AM

9,242 posts, read 20,291,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I agree; look up the ingredients of both sprays. Also; go to the FDA site & report the side effects.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,390,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I suffer from shingles, and my insurance company will not accept the brand name of Valtrex, which worked on my shingles perfectly. Now, I am getting a generic by the name of Vacyclovir, [?] which is not as powerful as the brand name, even though has the same dosage.

I posed the issue to my physician, and he says that all generics have the same ingredients as the brand name. I say they probably have the same ingredients, but not the same STRENGHT.

He refused to increase the grams, and I continue to get more breakouts. When I was using the brand name, I used to get one breakout a year. This year, I am on my third breakout. A lot of these generics come from INDIA, and who knows what they contain. ????? I also notice that physicians are very LOYAL to the pharmaceutical industry,
and the insurance companies........and will always counterattact any issues the patient may bring forth against them.

Anyone expericencing similar isues with generics?
Generics are identical to the brand name. Check out this link:

Generic drugs vs brand name drugs by MedicineNet.com

Generics sold at pharmacies in the US are just as safe and effective as the brand-name drug. The FDA monitors this very carefully. I've been using generic forms of my prescription meds for years with no negative effects. In fact, I PREFER the generic because I can usually get it for $5 and not have to pay for some big pharmaceutical company's name.

If you are having worsening symptoms, then talk to your dr about changing your treatment.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,178,989 times
I haven't had that problem. But if you are, then just tell the pharmacy that you want the brand name version. You'll have to pay extra for it, but it will certainly be worth it; shingles are so uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness