U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,158,703 times

Advertisements

I suffer from shingles, and my insurance company will not accept the brand name of Valtrex, which worked on my shingles perfectly. Now, I am getting a generic by the name of Vacyclovir, [?] which is not as powerful as the brand name, even though has the same dosage.

I posed the issue to my physician, and he says that all generics have the same ingredients as the brand name. I say they probably have the same ingredients, but not the same STRENGHT.

He refused to increase the grams, and I continue to get more breakouts. When I was using the brand name, I used to get one breakout a year. This year, I am on my third breakout. A lot of these generics come from INDIA, and who knows what they contain. ????? I also notice that physicians are very LOYAL to the pharmaceutical industry,
and the insurance companies........and will always counterattact any issues the patient may bring forth against them.

Anyone expericencing similar isues with generics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM

18,895 posts, read 49,756,471 times
Generics can vary by law some % from the brand. I think it could be 10% but am not certain. But yes, you could be getting less of the active ingredient. Or more, which could also be harmful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,117,384 times
10 mg of a brand name is 10 mg of a generic. The only differences are the fillers they use, and the shapes/colors/identifying marks.

If your pharmacy is giving you the wrong dosage, then you need to have that corrected by the pharmacy. If your doctor is prescribing the wrong dosage, then you need to have that corrected by the doctor. The dosage is required, by law, to be the same whether you use the brand name or the generic. The fillers that comprise the rest of the product do -not- need to be identical.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM

18,483 posts, read 22,786,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I suffer from shingles, and my insurance company will not accept the brand name of Valtrex, which worked on my shingles perfectly. Now, I am getting a generic by the name of Vacyclovir, [?] which is not as powerful as the brand name, even though has the same dosage.

I posed the issue to my physician, and he says that all generics have the same ingredients as the brand name. I say they probably have the same ingredients, but not the same STRENGHT.

He refused to increase the grams, and I continue to get more breakouts. When I was using the brand name, I used to get one breakout a year. This year, I am on my third breakout. A lot of these generics come from INDIA, and who knows what they contain. ????? I also notice that physicians are very LOYAL to the pharmaceutical industry,
and the insurance companies........and will always counterattact any issues the patient may bring forth against them.

If you are having recurrent bouts of shingles, you need to ask about the vaccine for shingles, Zostavax.

Zostavax (Herpes Zoster Vaccine) Questions and Answers

Yes, you can take it if you have already had shingles.

Most physicians are just as unhappy with insurance companies as you are.

That being said, the pharmacy needs to investigate the generic it is using to see if there have been other complaints. If no one else is complaining about the drug, it may not be a drug problem at all.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 PM

914 posts, read 3,585,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
10 mg of a brand name is 10 mg of a generic. The only differences are the fillers they use, and the shapes/colors/identifying marks.
Yes, generics have different inactive ingredients, and that most likely is what is causing your problem, OP. (Perhaps you aren't absorbing it as well, perhaps there is something in there that happened to interfere with you system, it could be a lot of things.)

Because of this sometimes people have adverse reactions to a generic that they don't with the brand name. (Most people won't, but it still does happen.) It really isn't a fault of generic drugs per se, for instance, one could have the opposite problem and have adverse effects with the brand name and be fine with the generic, but clearly the generic isn't working here.

Is there a different generic you could be taking? You may also consider appealing to your insurance company to allow coverage for the other drug. You and your physician would need to write a letter explaining how the generic does not work for you. While it doesn't work all that time, I have actually seen this appeal work before, so it is within the realm of possibility.

I'm sorry to hear about your shingles. So painful.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 AM

8,081 posts, read 18,846,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Nice to know the forum supports tapatalk- I installed it for another board & didn't see CD listed a few weeks ago.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 AM

5,547 posts, read 7,757,269 times
Quote:

Tell him you don't mind paying more for the real deal, if you don't. Then have it dispensed as written. And then be prepared to spend more.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM

8,081 posts, read 18,846,774 times
Quote:

I think I would find a new physician if he can't write brand necessary on the script. I'll take generics on some meds but for others no. They do not work as well.

Have you tried asking the pharmacy for brand? You usually have that option; it will cost more.

If it's your prescription insurance refusing to give brand; they want you to play a game- its called send us a letter from your doctor that it's medically necessary. I went through this with pain meds- 1st they were ok with the doctor writing medically necessary on the script; then they wanted a letter. Once the letter was sent; everything was fine.

The newest thing I'm experiencing is the insurance not allowing any meds to be filled or refilled until day 30.

Also; if you can get a 3 month script for brand; mail it to your script insurance; it will be cheaper if cost is an issue. Most are forcing us to mail away.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM

5,547 posts, read 7,757,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Generics can vary by law some % from the brand. I think it could be 10% but am not certain. But yes, you could be getting less of the active ingredient. Or more, which could also be harmful.

I took a pharmacy tech course and if memory serves me right, it's the fillers that differ.

As to asking them for brand name at the pharmacy counter, I'd rather ask the Dr. to write DAW on the script (dispense as written). I went to Costco with the brand name but not the DAW on the script. I was actually hassled by the pharmacy tech for asking for what the Dr. wrote. I demanded brand name and I got it. Of course, it cost me more. I almost turned her in (it's not her job to tell me what to do - that is for the pharmacist) but I didn't want to be responsible for a job loss. Also, they actually made me initial that I had demanded brand name.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,316,272 times
Quote:

It is the exact same strength. If the strength has changed that is an error. Changing from brand to generic will not change the strength of the medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness