U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
 
2,382 posts, read 6,073,907 times
Reputation: 2029

Advertisements

I am allergic to statin's bad reaction,doctor said Zetia no benefit for heart patient.He has prescribed 500mg slo-niacin.
I am to eat breakfast first and take with my heart meds which include asprin,he said my 325mg asprin will help to negate flushing.Mayo gives a thumbs up,any opinions will be appreciated,has any one tried it?

Last edited by DanBev; 04-01-2011 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
665 posts, read 1,476,793 times
Reputation: 522
Niacin lowers cholesterol, yes. The flushing is a side effect of niacin. (I think it feel kinda neat)...... anyway, too much naicin can cause liver damage.

The worst part is that niacin is know to cause high homocysteine levels which is a direct cause of artheral scerosis. Without atheral sclerosis (the breakdown of collagen that line the inside of the blood vessels) we wouldn't even need to worry about lipid deposits in the blood vessels. The LDLs would just slide right on through and not get caught up on the rough hard interior surfaces of the blood vessels which occurs when the collagen gets stripped away.

So, therin lyes the problem.

I have no idea about your heart heath but check into your homocysteine levels often for good blood vessel care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
 
89 posts, read 170,876 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am allergic to statin's bad reaction,doctor said Zetia no benefit for heart patient.He has prescribed 500mg slo-niacin.
I am to eat breakfast first and take with my heart meds which include asprin,he said my 325mg asprin will help to negate flushing.Mayo gives a thumbs up,any opinions will be appreciated,has any one tried it?
I have just started to study niacin. I have seen the no-flush versions of niacin at the store. My opinion is that the 325mg of aspirin is too high. Most folks just take 81mg of aspirin a day for their heart. I would talk to your doctor about fish oil supplements. They have been proven to lower cholesterol. Some researchers feel they are just as effective as statins. There is a lot of research out there. I intend to start taking both niacin and fish oil to maintain heart health and to prevent future problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
 
2,382 posts, read 6,073,907 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTant View Post
I have just started to study niacin. I have seen the no-flush versions of niacin at the store. My opinion is that the 325mg of aspirin is too high. Most folks just take 81mg of aspirin a day for their heart. I would talk to your doctor about fish oil supplements. They have been proven to lower cholesterol. Some researchers feel they are just as effective as statins. There is a lot of research out there. I intend to start taking both niacin and fish oil to maintain heart health and to prevent future problems.
Thank you for reply,I take 325mg of Enteric asprin to prevent blood clots after open heart surgery 11/12/2010.I am leery of niacin.If I do start I will include fish oil.I was told you cannot stop and start niacin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Reputation: 32238
I took it for a while (doctor prescribed). We did not get along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
 
7 posts, read 15,110 times
Reputation: 15
Niacin is good but the main side effect is the flushing that can be prevented by taking 325 mg of aspirin 20-30 min before taking niacin,my father is on niacin,it is good because it increases the level of HDL which is the good cholesterol and then helps to keep ur cardiovascular system healthy,but always check you liver enzymes,blood sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
665 posts, read 1,476,793 times
Reputation: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer.s View Post
Niacin is good but the main side effect is the flushing that can be prevented by taking 325 mg of aspirin 20-30 min before taking niacin,my father is on niacin,it is good because it increases the level of HDL which is the good cholesterol and then helps to keep ur cardiovascular system healthy,but always check you liver enzymes,blood sugar.
Niacin does NOT "keep your cardiovascular system healthy"

It RAISES homocysteine and leads to artheral sclerosis

Niacin (nicotinic acid) in non-physiological doses... [Br J Nutr. 2002] - PubMed result


http://medicine.org/niacin-side-effects-and-warnings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,610 posts, read 2,967,763 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Niacin does NOT "keep your cardiovascular system healthy"

It RAISES homocysteine and leads to artheral sclerosis
I think the confusion lies in the distinction between OTC niacin, and the Rx Niaspan.

the prescription version (Niaspan) is ridiculously expensive, whereas most of the OTC versions don't affect lipids to any appreciable degree (though I've read good things about Endur-Acin).

here's a product that showed promise, but it was discontinued due to a copyright battle :

Buy Life Extension High Compliance Niacin with Luteolin, Quercetin and Olive Extracts 120 Softgels and Save

to minimize the niacin flush, alot of people eat a small snack of applesauce (the TreeTop brand doesn't use high-fructose corn syrup) 30 mins. before taking the niacin -- but it is the Quercetin in apples that does the work, Solaray makes a Quercetin supplement that is relatively inexpensive.

if you want the exact formulation of Quercetin that is referenced in the NIH literature, it's a bit more pricey :

Algonot Plus, joint inflammation, arthritis,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top