U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times

Advertisements

I'm 54, female. Go to Dr., orders standard blood tests including I'm guessing TSH. I get a call from the Dr.s office that my TSH is low and my cholesterol is up. My TSH has been low for at least several years but neither this Dr., or the last and maybe the one before were concerned. Apparently this Dr. now thinks that its starting to affect my cholsterol.
So the call from the Dr.s office was to tell me they are going to set up an ultrasound for my thyroid.
Its not like she's palpated it and felt a lump. Doesn't this seem a little weird?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
How low is a "little"?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Ultrasounds are perfectly normal and advanced way to look inside your body for trouble in areas that things like x-rays cannot.

Good Luck.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 PM

I don't know how "little". A couple of years ago a different Dr. told me it was on the bottom of what was considered normal.
I'm reading some opinions on the internet that the range has been too narrow. Ok. I have some of the symtoms of low thyroid but by no means all.

D217 - Ultrasounds aren't that routine. I don't know of any women on thyroid meds that have had ultrasounds. Everything I can find on thyroids and ultrasounds are when if and only - looking at nodules. Nodules they know are there from palpations.

I wonder if this is medical padding. And yet after smoking for 25 years I have to beg for a screening lung x-ray.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,637,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't know how "little". A couple of years ago a different Dr. told me it was on the bottom of what was considered normal.
I'm reading some opinions on the internet that the range has been too narrow. Ok. I have some of the symtoms of low thyroid but by no means all.

D217 - Ultrasounds aren't that routine. I don't know of any women on thyroid meds that have had ultrasounds. Everything I can find on thyroids and ultrasounds are when if and only - looking at nodules. Nodules they know are there from palpations.

I wonder if this is medical padding. And yet after smoking for 25 years I have to beg for a screening lung x-ray.
Sounds like she's trying to be thorough. An ultrasound is one of the more harmless tests you can have done and a reasonable step if your blood work has come back out of the normal range and you have some symptoms of low thyroid levels.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:39 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,437,692 times
A low TSH many indicate hyperthyroidism and high TSH hypothyroidism. Elevated cholesterol levels may be secondary to an underactive (hypo) thyroid. I'm guessing your TSH was high. That being said, I would think your physician would now order a full thyroid panel. Ultrasounds are usually ordered if the thyroid is enlarged or nodules are appreciated.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:44 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,283,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

Are your TSH levels low or is your thyroid function low? If TSH is low than you would be hyperthyroid. That is very hard to control with meds and something that needs to be dealt with.

Low thyroid function (TSH is typically high but not always) is hypothyroid and typically the patient is put on TSH (synthyroid) to get regulated.

A doctor will usually feel the thyroid, but that doesn't always tell them the whole story. They can't always feel a goiter and they can't always tell if the thyroid is a normal size just by feeling.

I had an u/s done when my TSH levels were a bit high. I will have another one in 3 months to recheck and make sure my thryoid isn't growing any larger. If your doctor is thorough, it's a routine procedure. Most GP's don't order an u/s and most aren't well versed in thyroid function so you are lucky your doc is taking this potential issue seriously.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM

I think low TSH, hyper thyroid. With hypo I guess the thyroid can be enlarged and u/s would make more sense.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,544,110 times
You can have a goiter with either hypothyroid or hyperthyroid (aka Grave's Disease). High cholesterol can be associated with hypothyroid. You need to talk to your doctor or his nurse again about your test results and what they're looking for. The low TSH being associated with high thyroid hormones and vice versa can make conversations confusing. Make them go slow and spell it out.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 AM

4,805 posts, read 19,556,085 times
Very few people with thyroid problems have all the symptoms. So that's not a good evaluation of your situation. And an ultrasound is more effective than palpating. Lumps oftentimes cannot be felt but are visible with equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness