U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,400,069 times

Advertisements

Doctors look up things in their little book. If they can't find it there, they don't have a clue. If it were ME, I'd find a nice naturopathic or holistic practitioner who can help me get well instead of just plugging drugs into me and hoping for the best.

Good luck to you.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 PM

3,487 posts, read 5,752,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They were constantly trying to rehydrate me but it wasn't having any effect, at least not that they could see. I had IV after IV after IV, something called bolus.

I'm finding that everyone has horror stories to tell about hospitals, around here anyway. This is the Boston area and it's supposed to have great hospitals but that hasn't been my experience. It's more about money and cover your tail. I'm starting to calm down and to think about changes to make.
While they were giving you the boluses, were you urinating? If you were urinating just fine then you probably were not that dehydrated. If you didn't urinate during that entire time they were trying to fluid resuscitate you, you probably were dehydrated. The boluses don't stay in your bloodstream for very long anyways (maybe 1/3 of the total volume will go towards helping your BP) so it could have taken a few of them. I would not be surprised or alarmed if they gave you at least 3-4 bags. It might seem like a lot of fluid to you but it's really not.

Every hospital has its horror stories. You won't find a hospital that doesn't, unfortunately that is reality. Everyone makes mistakes. I guess you will just have to find one that you are comfortable with.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 PM

15,257 posts, read 14,490,843 times
No, I was not urinating. Not until the next morning, in the ICU. What still gets me is the strange behavior of the doctors, trying to tell me that this bp is normal for me, ISN'T IT. Then trying to get me to say things like I always have to have my bp taken in my leg. whaaaa?

If they had just been honest with me, it would have been scary but not have left me with this creeped out feeling. What ever happened to caring about the PATIENT?

Yes, acupuncture is better for me and they have a sliding scale payment. I can't afford a naturalpath or I'd do that.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM

48,526 posts, read 75,975,782 times
If your thin you can be a person whose blood pressure is hard to find. you also will dehydrate fast and that really drops your blood pressure.If your have colon problems hydrating can be tough because your colon basically store waste and absorbs fluids.If it gets abd you will have a hardtime breathing when dehydrated also.If the blood pressure had dropped to dangerous levels you would passedout. So likely they just could get one.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 AM

15,257 posts, read 14,490,843 times
Thanks, texdav, every bit of information is helpful to me.

I am feeling much better now mainly thanks to the people on this thread.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 518 times
Default Problem getting blood pressure

My wife has a problem getting reliable blood pressure reading no mater who and how is is taken .They also have a very hard time drawing blood . when ever you tell a doctor about this they talk about the skill needed to take blood pressure but so many very skilled people have tried .Sometime high sometime low sometime normal . still looking for someone who know why

Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 AM

18,898 posts, read 49,774,944 times
I just had mine done last Fri. The timing of the prep was decided by my appt. time. For a 9:45 am procedure, I started the Movi Prep at 5:30 pm, then had to get up at 1:30 am to do the second dose. Off topic but th as t prep was the easiest I have ever done: only 32 oz per stage and no bad taste. TMI but I have never run so clear before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness