U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,935,837 times
Default Mobic vs Celebrex or Ibuprofen

Hi everybody. My husband has many health conditions. Reactive arthrits being one. In your opinion whch one of these anti- inflammatory's drugs (Mobic, Celebrex or Ibuprofen )are most effective for treating arthitis, yet having the least side effects.

Due to a couple stomach ulcers his doctors told him to avoid Ibruprofen. Yet after a month he doesnt seem to feel mobic helps.

IS Celebrex much better?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM

5,112 posts, read 2,786,797 times
I've used both Celebrex and Mobic for my arthritis, and I have to tell you, I prefer Celebrex. It did a much better job of pain control; Mobic did nothing for me. As to side effects, they tend to diminish after a time of taking any of the strong NSAIDS. I'm talking about the loopy feeling, drowsiness, etc.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 9,086 times
Celebrex is good as long as your husband dont have any heart problems,and yes if a patient has ulcer problems he must avoids ibuprofen and many other NSAID BUT CELEBREX IS A cox 2 inhibitor that is why it is good if your husband has ulcer.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,227,066 times
Between a rock and a hard place!
Yes Ibuprofen can lead to GI bleeding but so can Celobrex!
Cox II inhibitors are still NSAID s but a lot of noise made was made re cox IIs and increase of stroke and cardiac events, but not sure what the current thoughts are. Even Ibuprofen increases the risk of stroke and cardiac events id taken for a long time.

Unfortunately to control your husbands pain effectively there will be some risks of drug side effects, but pain control needs to be the priority.

Does he take anything for his previous ulcer history?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 PM

1,869 posts, read 3,935,837 times
Thanks for all the respones and info. He does take a medication daily. Prilosec every morning. They said his ulcers are now healed, yet warned about how many pain meds to take.

Anybody tried Mobic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Between a rock and a hard place!
Yes Ibuprofen can lead to GI bleeding but so can Celobrex!
Cox II inhibitors are still NSAID s but a lot of noise made was made re cox IIs and increase of stroke and cardiac events, but not sure what the current thoughts are. Even Ibuprofen increases the risk of stroke and cardiac events id taken for a long time.

Unfortunately to control your husbands pain effectively there will be some risks of drug side effects, but pain control needs to be the priority.

Does he take anything for his previous ulcer history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness